Poll: Dental Hygiene

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jcdamon3

Poll: Dental Hygiene

#1 Post by jcdamon3 »

How old are you? (If you care to share)
How many times a year did you visit the dentist before braces?
How many times a year do you visit the dentist now?
How much did you floss before braces? Now?
Do you think your habits will change again when you get your braces off?

For me, I always visited the dentist twice a year and will continue to. I didn't always floss every day until about 3-4 years ago. I think my habits will not be as good after braces as during but better than before braces.
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

Flora2006

#2 Post by Flora2006 »

I am 22 years old. I didn't visit the dentist for a few years because doctors and anything health related is by biggest phobia. Last november I broke a tooth so I had to finally go see a dentist and he was/is incredibly nice. So after fixing everything, I now have braces which means I have to go every 6 months...I have my next check-up next month. I never flossed before but I do now every single night. I don't think my habits will change much...I won't brush my teeth after every single food I put in my mouth once the braces are off, but I will still maintain a really good cleaning habit.

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

lionfish

#3 Post by lionfish »

I'm older than you, jcdamon3. Ha ha!
Twice a year.
Will be the same.
Every day.
Probably not.

materialsgirl

#4 Post by materialsgirl »

twice a year

twice a year

before - not nearly as much as I should have (once or twice a week)
now - every night, and sometimes after lunch if I feel like I have stuff between my teeth :)

yes - I will probably not brush after lunch anymore

candygrrrl

#5 Post by candygrrrl »

41, but lately, I've been feeling 14 :)
Twice a year.
I'm told every three months – twice with my regular dentist, twice with a periodontist for what I've come to call the Torture Cleanings and to make sure things are going well.
Once or twice a day. Same.
No. With dentists in the family, good oral hygiene was drilled into me from an early age (too bad my parents didn't pay attention to the advice of the orthodontists :( ). The result, only one cavity, no pockets, no receding gums, etc. In fact, the main reason I'm going through this braces event is to keep it that way. My dentist has been warning me for years that with my bad bite and crooked, crowded teeth, things could start to go to pot the older I get.

sydsmom

#6 Post by sydsmom »

1. 31
2. Um, every couple/few years...or whenever I had insurance
3. I'm reformed -- I'll go every 4-6 months for the rest of my life!
4. Hmm... Floss?? Maybe once a week before braces.
5. I'll brush less than 5x/day once braces are off, but otherwise, I plan to keep up the same general routine, including the use of things like Gel-kam and PhosFlur to keep from having to get teeth filled!!
Lower bicuspids extracted 1/11/06
Braced (full metal) 1/18/06

Shelby014

#7 Post by Shelby014 »

1. I'm 15
2. 2 times a year every year since i was 6.
3. 2 times a year.
4. I never flossed before braces. Now i floss at least 1 a week
5. I'm sure i wont brush 4 times a day, but i'll still brush at least 3 times because i'll have to keep my retainer nice and fresh!!(wouldn't want nasty retainer breath now would we? LoL)
O.o*Shelby*o.O

braced on:9-29-05
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/ ... /event.png[/img]
[/url]

saycheese

#8 Post by saycheese »

I hadn't been to the dentist in about 5 years. I cracked a baby tooth and thus my journey began.

I had a cleaning 6/05, I kept cancelling the appointments for my extractions - baby tooth and 2 wisdom teeth 12/05, cleaning 1/06, then braces 2-06.

Twice.

before - not nearly as much as I should have (once or twice a month)
now - every night, and any time I feel something in my teeth

no - it's my desire to keep up the habits I'm developing for healthy teeth and gums
ceramic uppers
metal bottoms

Estimated Treatment Time - 36 months

jennandtonic

#9 Post by jennandtonic »

How old are you? (If you care to share) 20.

Usually twice a year, but this past couple of years I hadn't seen the dentist at all because of school junk. So the last time I went I told the dental assistant I wanted braces and needed a recommendation, so here I sit today!

How many times a year do you visit the dentist now? I'm going to go see the dentist sometime in April, not sure if they're going to want to see me more often or not.

How much did you floss before braces? Now? Before, usually once a day. Now, twice a week because that's what my ortho recommends. I use a waterpik the rest of the time.

Do you think your habits will change again when you get your braces off? I don't know yet.

jcdamon3

#10 Post by jcdamon3 »

Oh Gosh - I remember when I was much younger I would think. Oh I have to go to the dentist tomorrow. I better floss!!

I would floss and my teeth would be all sore for a couple of days - well that and from the cleaning.

I think I am truly reformed.

I wonder if I would have visited the dentist as often if I didn't have insurance????
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

Sillygirl

#11 Post by Sillygirl »

How old are you? 29

How many times a year did you visit the dentist before braces? Twice a year for cleaning, more if I had work to be done (fillings, crown, etc.)

How many times a year do you visit the dentist now? Starting to be every 6 weeks.

How much did you floss before braces? Now? I don't have braces yet but I didn't floss very much. When I I knew I would be getting braces (about a year ago), I starting a routine and hope to continue.

Do you think your habits will change again when you get your braces off? If anything, they will get better. Braces cost alot of money, can't throw it away.

March 7, 2006 Quad-Helix Expander placed

ingyandbert

#12 Post by ingyandbert »

How old are you? 45

How many times a year did you visit the dentist before braces? Every 4-6 months for cleanings

How many times a year do you visit the dentist now? Whenever they tell me to. I've only been braced for about 6 weeks.

How much did you floss before braces? Daily.

Now? Daily.

Do you think your habits will change again when you get your braces off? No, I'll still brush 2-3 times a day and floss daily.

rockexrolloh

#13 Post by rockexrolloh »

How old are you? 18

How many times a year did you visit the dentist before braces? I went to the dentist maybe once a year or once every two years. We never had dental insurance and my parents couldn't always afford it. But I've never had a cavity!

How many times a year do you visit the dentist now?Now that my mom does have dental insurance, I'll be going every 6 months.

How much did you floss before braces? Now? I never floss. I haven't gotten my braces so I'm not sure yet.

Do you think your habits will change again when you get your braces off? No. I've waited 18 years to get my teeth "fixed" and I'll do whatever it takes to keep them that way.

smilezofmetal2

Re: Poll: Dental Hygiene

#14 Post by smilezofmetal2 »

jcdamon3 wrote:How old are you? (If you care to share)
Turning 21
every 4-8mths
the same
before none. At the beginning og my braces i flossed everyday...now 21mths later once in a blue moon :-+ ...I know I know
I will brush the same (2x a day) and floss more often because it will be easier :-9 and I will take better care of them.

nimo

#15 Post by nimo »

I didn't go until I was 17. I went nine times that year. Then I went again when I was 19 and had lost the crown (or whatever it's called) off my front tooth (The dentist was like, "You should have gone to the orthodontist years ago." I told my mom, and she was like, "Yeah, we already knew that," and that was the end of that.). And then I went after I finally had insurance of my own when I was 23. And now I'll start going like a normal human being.
I'll be going every six months.
Never before. Well, no, I started to do it every night a few months ago, but only between the teeth that I could actually get between. Now I do it every night between all teeth, except for two that I just CAN NOT get between.
I won't be brushing seven hundred times a day, but I'll keep brushing and flossing.
Braced on 17 Feb. 2006.
Five teeth extracted on March 9, 2006.
Canine exposure: February 7, 2007
lefort 3 March 7, 2008
TPA April 22, 2008
2 years 7 months in braces
braces off September 17, 2008