Mouthwash

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Super Soo

Mouthwash

#1 Post by Super Soo »

Hi all

Are alcohol based mouthwashs a bad idea? I've noticed when people are recommending one they mostly say chose a fluoride one.

I actually don't like anything mint flavour and therefore this limits options of mouthwash available to me. I currently use Listerine citrus flavour (which I am happy with) but have noticed this does not have flouride and does contain alcohol. Is this a bad thing?

:?
Full metal uppers and lowers 28.02.06 at age 26

http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

LizzyG

#2 Post by LizzyG »

I'm not sure whether it is ok to use a mouthwash with alcohol in it or not, but I just thought I'd mention that you can buy alcohol-free fruit flavoured ones in the kids range.

Damon 3's upper and lower - 10 February 2006

Shelby014

#3 Post by Shelby014 »

I think Alcohol mouthwashes are a great idea...after you've had your braces for a while and you no longer get bad canker sores, canker sores definetely don't like alcohol:shock:. Flouride is a must to help keep our teeth cavity free, cuz i mean who would want to spend all that money on your teeth just to get a cavity in one of em? LoLz

Non-alcohol mouthwashes are also awesome especially if you still have canker sores. Biotene is what i use, but its definetely minty. At CVS they have all sorts of flouride mouthwashes in bubble gum and cinnamon and such and they are pretty nice tasting....especially the bubble gum :D.

Well hope this helped you,
Shelby

P.s if you live in the US i know there are CVS's everywhere, but if you live in the UK i don't know if you have CVS's
O.o*Shelby*o.O

braced on:9-29-05
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/ ... /event.png[/img]
[/url]

johnnys_angel

#4 Post by johnnys_angel »

I would recommend using an alcohol-based, flouride mouthwash. But if you are intent on NOT using an alcohol-based, then I would recommend along with Shelby Biotene. I have also tried the Crest Pro-Health rinse that claims it doesn't burn....It doesn't burn, but the mint flavor is so strong that it makes me lose my sense of taste for awhile. (it could be just me but i didn't like it very much)
Damon 2's top and bottom, BRACED 02/22/04 and REMOVED 08/29/05. Now in bonded retainers (top and bottom) :4 wisdom teeth surgically removed on 12/22/05:

Dark_angel

#5 Post by Dark_angel »

I use colgate plax in the morning after brushing and in the evening before brushing. Then after my evening brush i use listerine. I know colgate plax do a blue and light pink colour which i assume are non minty.

As for the alcohol thing i dont really think it matters and some mouthwashes use alcohol but still contain fluride, (i believe plax does).

Try looking on the internet you can always get a much better range. As for the costing Lucyloop mentioned, i work for tesco so i get a 10% discount off of products so it helps soften the blow to my pocket.

godawgs

#6 Post by godawgs »

i saw someone on the forum mentioned that alcohol based mouthwashes can degrade ligatures and make them more susceptible to staining (if you wear clear w/ ceramics). i have no experience with that so can't say for sure.

have u tried the ACT for kids (bubblegum flavor)? it has no alcohol and has fluoride.

Shelby014

#7 Post by Shelby014 »

this is totally off topic, but godawgs you wouldn't happen to be from the tiny town of Lapel would you?[/b]
O.o*Shelby*o.O

[/url]

godawgs

#8 Post by godawgs »

hey shelby,
i went to the university of georgia for undergrad (mascot is the bulldog).

Shelby014

#9 Post by Shelby014 »

godawgs,

i see, i go to Lapel high, and we are the lapel bulldogs. :D

We were last years state champs in the smallest school division(sorry dont know what its call i think it might be A)
O.o*Shelby*o.O

[/url]

Shelby014

#10 Post by Shelby014 »

personally i think getting blue gunk with crest pro health is a good thing, it would tell you whether you brushed good enough or not. I think getting blue gunk would be a good incentive for me to brush even more then i already do(if i got the gunk all the time)
O.o*Shelby*o.O

[/url]

ebjones1

#11 Post by ebjones1 »

Actually, I used to use the Crest Pro-Health and liked it a lot.. until I went to my ortho. The day I got my braces on, they told me to go rinse with mouthwash before I left. Granted I still had little bits of cement and other gunk on my teeth from getting all the hardware put on, but I couldn't get the mouthwash residue out of my mouth no matter how hard I tried! The ortho saw me getting frustrated and actually asked the assistants, "We haven't thrown that stuff out yet? That is horrible mouthwash and always gets stuck on braced teeth!"

I just thought it was interesting. I was a little disappointed because I really like the mouthwash.. But what's the point when it leaves stuff in your mouth instead of taking it away! :roll: I've just been using Scope or Listerine since then.. although the alcohol tends to make my mouth tender.

ingyandbert

#12 Post by ingyandbert »

1. You need extra fluoride because of the risk of cavities developing around the brackets where it's hard to clean. That's why orthos specifically recommend fluoride moutwashes. I get a prescription one from my ortho and it does not taste minty.

2. I live in Athens -- GO DAWGS! BTW, the Gymdogs are #1 heading into Regionals and have an excellent chance of another national championship!

godawgs

#13 Post by godawgs »

ingyandbert, i miss athens! and i love the gymdogs.
berkeley just doesn't compare...(except for the fact that sf is so close).

ingyandbert

#14 Post by ingyandbert »

godawgs wrote:ingyandbert, i miss athens! and i love the gymdogs.
berkeley just doesn't compare...(except for the fact that sf is so close).
When were you last here? Things have changed a lot. Athens is growing by leaps and bounds. If you weren't here in the last 10 years, you'd be amazed to see it now. Personally, it's hitting the saturation point for me. I don't want it to get much bigger. We're already having problems with traffic bottlenecking and all that stuff. BTW, I used to live in San Luis Obispo (not that that's close to you) and I really loved living in CA.

ItsGavinC

#15 Post by ItsGavinC »

It's perfectly acceptable to use a mouthwash in the morning (or various times during the day) and a flouride rinse in the evening. Listerine is great, but I also recommended Crest ProHealth and Biotene to my patients.

With the flouride rinse, remember to make it the final thing you do. No eating or drinking after the rinse (hence bedtime is the perfect time to do it).