If only i could smile!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

leeg

If only i could smile!

#1 Post by leeg »

I was on a train today and happened to notice a very pretty looking woman opposite me, we kept glancing at each other in the way people sometimes do and I instantly thought of how I just wanted to smile at her.
Only thing is.... i couldnt. :)

See i have a severe overbite and i have probably the worlds worst smile, and have had for most of the 25 yrs of my life.
Ive had upper braces for 8 months and lowers for 2 now, and in the summer i am having an operation to realign my teeth.

Anyhow what im trying to say is this...
When its all done i will be able to smile at someone and not know it will put them off big time, something i have never really been able to do before. So braces are a wonderful wonderful thing, and if anyone is getting sad or frustrated by them, as we all do sometimes. Eventually it will all be over and so much worth it. :)

As far as the girl. Oh well. Plenty of fish.
Ciao.

x3trinity

#2 Post by x3trinity »

Leeg you story really touched me b/c I too have a severe overbite. I have had it for 26 years, and like you I used to be afraid to smile at someone cute, even if they were looking at me. Mine is not that noticeable but if you really look at my smile you can tell I have a overbite, especially if I am turned sideways.

I recently took the plunge and got braces, they hurt bad at first but the end result will be well worth it.

So here is a toast to us friend, and our long journey to straight teeth :-88

love,
x3Trintiy

"God's love is always with you, God's promises are true."

Leslie022

#3 Post by Leslie022 »

You'll be smiling before long - especially after you see progress!

Good luck!
Braced: Jan. 17, 2006
Removed: Oct. 26, 2006
Fixed bottom retainer
Clear Essix Retainer on top

Marguerite

#4 Post by Marguerite »

I feel the exact same way! It is hard when people interpret your behavior as cold, or stuck-up, or disinterested, when really it is just because you don't have a way to express yourself. Oh, well! There are worse things to be thought of as. Sometimes it is fun to be that aloof person that everyone thinks has so much self-control. But at the end of the day it is important not to let your braces define you to much. They are just little pieces of metal on your teeth, and they will soon be gone.

SueFromNJ

Not smiling for years!

#5 Post by SueFromNJ »

I am in my mid-30's and it occurred to me that I spent over 20 years of my life unable to smile!! When my adult teeth started coming in, I had the impossible-to-hide dracula fangs and just overall ugly crowded teeth, so I would never smile big. The best I could do was a closed mouth smile. I even tried to master talking with barely opening my mouth so no one would see that fang and stare at it. :(

The thought of not smiling for decades is devastating - no wonder my self-esteem was completely destroyed! But thankfully everything has improved (teeth and self-esteem) so much now! After having braces for a few months and my canine (fang) "receeded", I remember teaching myself to smile - to actually move my mouth wide since I could actually get my upper lip to move naturally over my canines now - it felt so strange at first but so wonderful, too! :)
Debanded in May, 2006! Total sentence: Three years and two months. Now in hawleys which make me gag! Before braces, I had dracula fangs in their own rows, and everything else was crooked, crowded, with a cross-bite, too!

QueensNY

#6 Post by QueensNY »

woah, i've been in these situations many times :lol:

it's not that my teeth are bad (anymore), its just kinda embarassing if I smile in return and they see that I have braces, or at least thats how i think.

so the person who doesn't know me might take it as a "not interested" gesture when that really isn't the case

the easiest way for me to break the ice is just start an interesting conversation so they'll notice right away I have braces but will be more interested in what im saying rather than the "Oh, he has braces" thought

I admire people who have braces that are not restrained when it comes to smiling or letting people they had braces. I didn't understand back when I didnt have them in junioir high and high school, but now that I've had them for the past year, I appreciate how they were :wink:

newbie82

#7 Post by newbie82 »

Well i have to say i smile more now WITH my braces then before them. At 23, I am a happy person and it's a great thing that i am doing. People accept us the way we are and if they don't then they're not worth knowing. Be proud of who you are and SMILE with your braces, because as awesome as your teeth will be after your treatment, you'll still be the same person.

Here's to SMILING and enjoying life!

:) :) :)