5 more months, and I'm at a loss for words

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Evelyn

5 more months, and I'm at a loss for words

#1 Post by Evelyn »

So I had a pretty bad day at the orthodontist's today, even though I did get to skip last period of school. I asked how much longer I have with my braces on and he said about five more months...that puts me as getting them off in August. This sucks. I'm not even going to put down how disappointed I am because I know it sounds cliche but I can't find any words to describe it...it just plain sucks. I have to go reset my ticker...AGAIN...this is the what...25th time I've had to do that?

He said I'm looking at five more months, but that we'd try to get it a little less than that so probably July. I don't want them off in July. I want them off in June, latest. I refuse to go my senior summer with braces. It has officially been 42 months since I got them on, and they estimated anywhere from 24-30 months. Now I'm looking at finishing at one month short of four years...47 months. But that's not going to be an option, I think I'm gonna plow ahead and demand I get them off by the end of this school year. I have put in waaaay over my time and my teeth weren't even that bad to begin, in fact they were pretty damn perfect...if only for that pesky impacted canine...

Needless to say I am more than disappointed right now. I feel like it's been 'a couple more months' for years now....and I just don't have the energy left to deal with it anymore.

I need some love....badly

Eve[/i]
Braced September 9, 2002
Debanding: JULY 5!!!!!!!!

Kell

#2 Post by Kell »

{{{{{ hugs }}}}} When I saw the title of the post and your screen name as the author I knew it wasn't going to be good news. I'm so sorry that you did not get better news.
Kelly
See my WWW link below.

Shelby014

#3 Post by Shelby014 »

awww.....evelyn i'm so sorry, you should get them off in June, you've been in (braces) jail for almost 4YEARS, you really need to move on to paroll(retainers). I think your ortho is being overly critical if your teeth aren't as perfect as humanly possible RIGHT NOW then your ortho didn't do a very good job now did he? >.< This makes me so mad for you OMG. AND you have to go through band camp with braces again :-)(on a funny note) I hope you get them off sooner, they REALLY need to quit disappointing you like this, it just isn't fair for you :evil:
O.o*Shelby*o.O

braced on:9-29-05
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/ ... /event.png[/img]
[/url]

Flora2006

#4 Post by Flora2006 »

I am so sorry for you Evelyn. I really do hope you will have them off in July or June. Hang in there!!

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

JoeMama

#5 Post by JoeMama »

I agree - get them off in June!! You're allowed to say no. I can't imagine being in braces for 4 years and then hearing that news - I'm very sorry. Sometimes perfection just isn't worth it and it's perfectly alright to have a contrary opinion. It's YOUR mouth and your special summer.
Damon 3s. On 2/15/2006. Off 2/21/2007!
Essix on uppers, Hawley on lowers.

BraceFace12

#6 Post by BraceFace12 »

I'm so sorry about your news Evelyn. I have no idea what that would be like. I hope you get them off sooner.
Top Braces-8-12-04
Oral Surgery-6-3-05
Bottom Braces-11-15-05
Braces Off-8-22-06!

No smile is as beautiful as the one that struggles through the tears.

ingyandbert

#7 Post by ingyandbert »

I understand how frustrated you are. But I guarantee that in the long run you won't think twice about wearing braces during your "senior summer." You would, however, probably regret taking them off early if it means your teeth aren't straight after 4 years of braces. I know you're very young, but try to take the longterm view. Even just a couple of years from now, the few extra months will be forgotten but the excellent results will last a lifetime. Hang in there! :D

rockexrolloh

#8 Post by rockexrolloh »

That's insane. I hope that doesn't happen to me. I was told I only need to wear them for about 16 months because I'm getting Insignia braces that supposedly speed up the time. Your post makes me really nervous, though!
And your teeth look great to me! I'd just have him take them off. Goodluck with everything.

Way Too Old For This

#9 Post by Way Too Old For This »

You poor thing. You have really put in your time. I've been in the office when kids have come in to get their braces off and the ortho changed his mind. It really sucks. I know I would be disappointed.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

Shawnie

#10 Post by Shawnie »

HI Eve,

I'm so sorry that they keep extending your de-banding date. I was thinking the same as linda21 WHY? I thought at first it was to even out your front teeth, which I thought was done.

I would demand an explanation as to why he continually extends your de-banding date.

When I saw the name Evelyn on the post I said Nooooooooo. Hang in there, we're all here for ya.

Shawnie :)
Braced - 10/04/05
Treatment - 30 to 36 months
Ceramic uppers, Metal lowers
Impacted canines-Crowding-Crossbite
6 baby teeth!
Canine exposure surgery of two teeth 3/29/06
2nd canine exposure of one tooth 11/15/06

alexa

#11 Post by alexa »

Wow. That really does suck. :(

I know this will be no consolation for you, but one of my good friends from high school had braces for 8 years. She got them in fourth grade and didn't get them off until just before senior photos. To make it worse, she lost her retainer in college and her teeth have shifted some and she's wondering if she's going to need braces. Again.

I think that if you really don't want them anymore, then just be done with them. Your ortho was ready to let you out on March 1st, and it was your decision to prolong treatment, under the impression that you would only have a couple extra months. This wasn't the deal. Tell him you want them off and June and be done with them!

(But wear those retainers! :wink: )
Spacers: 1/26/05; 2/6/06; 3/15/06; 4/24/06
4 First Bicuspids removed: 2/2005
Metal Braces, top and bottom: 3/1/05; Debanded 7/26/07
Hawley retainers top and bottom

Evelyn

#12 Post by Evelyn »

Thanks everyone for you kind words, it really helps to have people understand what I'm going through.

The reason they have to be on for longer is because after the teeth get re-bracketed, they have to work up through the wires just like when you first get braces so that the teeth stay put and dont move back to the original position after you get them off.

When I agreed to get them re-bracketed, I was under the impression that it would be 4 more months max. That would put me at June latest.

Honestly right now I'm feeling kind of lost. I don't know what to do, or even if should devote the time and energy into caring anymore because it seems like everytime I do I just get hurt.

One thing is for sure though, I definately don't regret any of the decisions that I made. I don't regret getting them at all, in fact it wasn't really a choice, and I don't regret rebracketing either. The things I've gained from this experience have by far outweighed the disappointments. And when it all comes down to it, I've been pretty lucky in so many ways with it as well; so the time went over, but at least the tooth was there and they were able to successfully bring it down. I won't have to worry about it coming through my front teeth later on in life now. And, even though it's been a long time, when I look in the mirror, and I think I'm entitled to say this since I really have devoted so much to my teeth, but God, under all that metal, they look beautiful and I'm so proud of that.

Another thing...my twin sister who never had braces and always had perfect teeth...or so I thought, was talking to me yesterday. She was looking in the mirror and saying 'my teeth are ugly'. When I asked why, she showed me her bottom teeth and there's definately some crowding issues there. How interesting, I always thought she got off lucky, but now she's saying she wants braces but feels she is too old to get them.

How funny it would be if she got them on just as I got mine off...and looking around at my friends, people who I have always thought to be so lucky who never needed braces, a lot of them are opening up to me and telling me how they don't like their teeth.

I have no doubt whatsoever in my mind that when the days comes, it'll all be so worth it, it's just waiting for that day that's the problem.

Evie
Braced September 9, 2002

Evelyn

#13 Post by Evelyn »

Thanks everyone for you kind words, it really helps to have people understand what I'm going through.

The reason they have to be on for longer is because after the teeth get re-bracketed, they have to work up through the wires just like when you first get braces so that the teeth stay put and dont move back to the original position after you get them off.

When I agreed to get them re-bracketed, I was under the impression that it would be 4 more months max. That would put me at June latest.

Honestly right now I'm feeling kind of lost. I don't know what to do, or even if should devote the time and energy into caring anymore because it seems like everytime I do I just get hurt.

One thing is for sure though, I definately don't regret any of the decisions that I made. I don't regret getting them at all, in fact it wasn't really a choice, and I don't regret rebracketing either. The things I've gained from this experience have by far outweighed the disappointments. And when it all comes down to it, I've been pretty lucky in so many ways with it as well; so the time went over, but at least the tooth was there and they were able to successfully bring it down. I won't have to worry about it coming through my front teeth later on in life now. And, even though it's been a long time, when I look in the mirror, and I think I'm entitled to say this since I really have devoted so much to my teeth, but God, under all that metal, they look beautiful and I'm so proud of that.

Another thing...my twin sister who never had braces and always had perfect teeth...or so I thought, was talking to me yesterday. She was looking in the mirror and saying 'my teeth are ugly'. When I asked why, she showed me her bottom teeth and there's definately some crowding issues there. How interesting, I always thought she got off lucky, but now she's saying she wants braces but feels she is too old to get them.

How funny it would be if she got them on just as I got mine off...and looking around at my friends, people who I have always thought to be so lucky who never needed braces, a lot of them are opening up to me and telling me how they don't like their teeth.

I have no doubt whatsoever in my mind that when the days comes, it'll all be so worth it, it's just waiting for that day that's the problem.

Evie
Braced September 9, 2002

Evelyn

#14 Post by Evelyn »

sorry for the double post, my computer is messed up right now
Braced September 9, 2002

hollywood_smile

#15 Post by hollywood_smile »

wow E, i wish you the best, is great that you are taking all this in the good way, thats good,

exactly what happend to your friends and sister is what is happening to me, i always thought i had perfect teeth, and some pople at first sight and stuff thought i was born with perfect teeth or wore braces, well....a couple of years later i see the reallity i dont have perfect teeth and i want them t be perfect, so im still deciding, i surely feel old to do this, but well i think ill have to. anyways you are on the final step, and there are tonz of us...just starting....

so :lol: good luck, wish you the best! and july is not a bad ,month to take braces off....anyways you should as to be taken off by june lol... :tingrin: good luck :lol:
I sooo Want a hollywood smilee....!!!!
http://hollywoodsmile.blogspot.com/