Cost for first Consultation

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Contentt

Cost for first Consultation

#1 Post by Contentt »

I was wondering what an Orthodontist typically charges for a first consultation? My dentist has been telling me to get a consult for two years and I finally called and they said with all the xrays it would be $500 to take a look. I don't have insurance. Does that sound right?

The receptionist had the attitude that I was already getting braces. Unless they tell me a lot of pain is going to be involved later down the road I don't see the benefit. I really don't care about a few minor teeth crowding each other and not being perfectly straight.

So does $500 sound right just to get an idea if I really need braces for reasons other than vanity?

Thanks,
Dave

OneTime

#2 Post by OneTime »

Two of my consultation were free.(Keep searching around)

That sound steep to me. I know my mold, xray exam and photos were 300.

In process...
4 spacer and upper braced 1/10
Spacer removed and fully braced 1/24
Final 05/15/08

ssfw

#3 Post by ssfw »

Hi Dave,

I went to 4 consultations and they were all free. All of the orthodontists examined my teeth and bite and was able to give me a treatment plan, cost and length of time of orthodontic treatment. Of course, this treatment plan may have changed after they reviewed the X-rays, photos and molds of my teeth that would have been taken at the records appointment. I think most orthodontists can give a patient an estimated treatment plan without the records appt. information. But, the X-rays, photos and molds are important because it does show the health of the teeth, gums, etc. My treatment plan changed slightly - no extractions needed, instead I will be able to correct my crossbite and overjet with an expander then braces (initial exam included extractions and braces).

I got my records appt. done at the orthodontist office that I felt most comfortable with and I ended up choosing their office for my orthodontic treatment. My insurance paid for the records appt. in full - it was approx. $325.00.

I do know that some ortho's charge for the consultation appt. I think you should call a few other offices and try to go for a few consultation appts. and choose the one you like best. Some people choose an ortho close to home/school/etc. - you need to see which is best for you.

Good luck

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

Leslie022

#4 Post by Leslie022 »

My consultation was $55. They basically just took pictures and he did an examination of my teeth, and they told me what was wrong and how they could fix it. After that, I had a "records" appointment where they did x-rays, molds, and took more pictures. The records appointment cost me $255. Where you live depends on the cost. I live in SC where the cost of living is lower than say NJ or NY, so my fee is probably a little lower.

Hope that helped!
Braced: Jan. 17, 2006
Removed: Oct. 26, 2006
Fixed bottom retainer
Clear Essix Retainer on top

adollface

#5 Post by adollface »

Contentt- I live in the North Bay Area and almost every ortho around here does free consults. I know of one ortho who does have an office in S.F. and he treated three of my cousins. Anyway you may want to check him out. His name is VanBergen. He also has an office where I live but I believe he spends most of his time in his SF office.

Amy
Damon 2's top and bottom
braced 12-16-04

Way Too Old For This

#6 Post by Way Too Old For This »

Contentt, Mine was free also. They took x-rays, pictures and molds. They told me if I decided not to have braces, that appointment would have been free. In fact I never even paid anything until after I was fully braced.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

BraceFace12

#7 Post by BraceFace12 »

Mine was $250. So yah thats sounds steep.
Top Braces-8-12-04
Oral Surgery-6-3-05
Bottom Braces-11-15-05
Braces Off-8-22-06!

No smile is as beautiful as the one that struggles through the tears.

jcdamon3

#8 Post by jcdamon3 »

This sounds like the cost of a records appointment to me. You need to get an understanding that if you decide not to go with this ortho that you can send those records to the ortho of your choice so you don't have to pay that again.
My first consult was free. My second appointment was the records appointment after I had already decided to go with that ortho. There are two kinds of xrays. The normal xrays that your dentist would normally take and then the panoramic xray. I had alot of that done already but still had to take one more set of xrays. But now that I think about it two sets of xrays had already been taken and yet I had to pay the full amount. :shock:
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

JoeMama

#9 Post by JoeMama »

Hi Contentt - I had four initial consultations with different orthodontists (I was paying myself so I wanted to shop around for an ortho I liked) and they were all free. In my opinion, you shouldn't be paying, or having records made until you've decided on an orthodontist. And I would be cautious of anyone making those kind of records straight away, you could find yourself with an unexpected bill if you decide not to have the work done (or choose another ortho). A good orthodontist can get a ballpark idea of what you'll need done just by looking in your mouth. After I picked one, my inital records were $340 US.

On this note, there was a huge difference in the orthodontist offices I visited. Not so much in the treatment they recommended, but in the attitude of the staff/ortho and just the pleasantness of the office itself. If you live in an area where you have options, I think you'd be doing yourself a favor by shopping around.
Damon 3s. On 2/15/2006. Off 2/21/2007!
Essix on uppers, Hawley on lowers.

Flora2006

#10 Post by Flora2006 »

My consultation was free as well. I paid 200$ for the molds and records...and that 200$ is deducted from my overall treatment plan.

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

bbdoll11

#11 Post by bbdoll11 »

I just called for my first consult. Thre receptionist told me there is no charge for the consultation (ortho examines my teeth/bite/etc.) explains what might need to be done. When I go for my records appointment (all x-rays/photos/moulds) I will pay $350.00, which gets credited towards my treatment. :lol:

materialsgirl

#12 Post by materialsgirl »

My initial consultation was free, and it included photographs and x-rays.

momof2grlz

#13 Post by momof2grlz »

My consultations, which included X-rays and digital imaging, were free, but the ortho I went with included a $300 records fee in my treatment plan for X-rays, photos, study molds and impressions.

Chris
Top Ceramics: 10/11/04; Bottom Ceramics: 02/16/05 DEBANDED: 05/03/07

Geri

#14 Post by Geri »

I had 2 consulatations... the first was free and involved the Dr looking into my mouth for a minute and nothing more. The second was about $100 and again involved nothing more than looking in my mouth but then we had a long conversation. Photos and x-rays came later and were $250 I think.
Music in the soul can be heard by the universe
Upper ceramics: 3 Oct 2005, Lower metals: 1 Nov 2005
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces remove: April 4, 2007!

rockexrolloh

#15 Post by rockexrolloh »

My first consultation was free. That included x-rays. My second appointment will be having my teeth molded which I have to pay the down payment for everything. Most orthodontist offer the first consultation free. I'd keep looking.