gaps in teeth

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

zbbelgium

gaps in teeth

#1 Post by zbbelgium »

I've just had my expander removed which gave me 9.25mm of extra room (will reduce slightly apparently). However, at last appointment surgeon and ortho decided I needed to have 2 teeth out on top and 2 on bottom. Not worried about the bottom as teeth very overcrowded but the 9mm was originally enough to align existing teeth on top. Extra teeth being taken out on top so as to avoid imbalance of strength with lower teeth. Now worried that I will have too much room and will have gaps between top teeth when all finished - was too shocked when I discovered I'll have 5 big gaps in my teeth as of next week to discuss implications with ortho.

Has anyone else had teeth removed even though there was enough space for the teeth and has it resulted in gaps?

Think I'll rename myself 'the toothless wonder!"

meesoo100

me too

#2 Post by meesoo100 »

hey there. i got my braces fitted in late august and before that they pulled out two teeth for me from the bottom and the top, so 4 all in all. now my teeth were fairly straight and in good condition but they were slightly goofy ansd protruding top and bottom, but more so on the top, so my doctor said that the best way to fix this was b pulling out those teeth and then placing a brace. ofcourse once they pulled out the teeth i had huge gaps in my mouth too, and i was also worried that i didnt need that much space to fix the goofiness i had, but with time he started to space out my bottom teeth...i'm telling you it looked ridiculous they were not only spaced out but they protruded even more, but the doctor said that was all supposed to happen. now i am in the process of getting them pushed back and it all looks good so far. he hasnt touched my top teeth yet he's still sorting out the bottom ones and then guess we will come to that. i have had my braces for nearly 8 months now and it's a weird process and very slow. i get food stuck in my gaps and i get pain and sore gums from the wiring but i always picture myself with the teeth i have always longed for and that allows me somehow to endure that pain and the terrible state my teeth look at present.
good luck
xoxoxoxox

zbbelgium

#3 Post by zbbelgium »

Thx that's reassuring. Have taken to measuring the gaps in the impressions that the ortho gave me to give to my surgeon - my husband thinks I'm nuts! Ortho will have 1.8mm of space to fill with teeth that don't really overlap at present. Will keep you posted on what happens. Plan to ring him before they pull the teeth on Weds to ask for reassurance. Such stress!!