Cleaning expander suggestions?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

KJM

Cleaning expander suggestions?

#1 Post by KJM »

My son got his RPE put on yesterday and is really doing well ( he is 9) his only main problem is cleaning the expander. He gets tons of food stuck in there and can not seem to get it out. ( with a toothbrush, swishing, or the Oral B with the pointy tip brush) I am trying to help him and I cant seem to get it all out either so its not just his age/lack of coordination.

Help! He is getting very frustrated and is telling me he will only eat liquid things to avoid food getting stuck in there. He is pretty thin anyway, and is just started on some medicine that is seriously decreasing his appetite so this is a problem.

I was thinking about getting a waterpic for him to try, but would love any suggestions and hints that you all have.

Thanks!!
~*~ Kim ~*~

Next Appointment #14: Feb 26,2007

Brandyleigh35

#2 Post by Brandyleigh35 »

I have had my RPE for almost 3 weeks now. It is really impossible to keep the food from getting up into the holes, your son will gradually get better at eating, but honestly, I wish I could tell you that it is not going to be a big deal or that it isn't going to be a chore to eat. Eating becomes pretty unpleasant but he will find ways to maneuver it around to get most of it out of the appliance. If he is already thin you may need to have him supplement his diet with some ensure once a day or something as it will get better but will not be enjoyable.

As for cleaning a waterpik in my opinion is the only way to go. You can't really use it during the day as its pretty messy, but it does do an awesome job getting the gunk out at the end of the day. I have found that when I eat, if I take a drink of water and swish it around after every couple of bites you can work most anything that gets stuck out with a little practice. Trust me, he will get better at digging stuff out with his tongue and will find ways to work around the appliance. It is sorta like tongue gymnastics for a couple weeks but eventually you adapt.

I can tell you for myself that I eat way less, it is too much work to eat now, and far less enjoyable. I'm not telling you this to worry you, I think kids are much more resilient then adults/. I work at a school with many children who also have these at my school. Most of them I know their parents are making them drink ensure for breakfast, or include it in their lunches. If you find he is not eating enough then you may need to do this, and it may be like this for a couple weeks. However, sooner than you think he will adapt and get used to it and his eating habits should improve.

Hope this helps!

Brandy

KJM

#3 Post by KJM »

Thanks Brandy! Your right that kids are much more resilient- I can see that he is adjusting to it already. (Tongue is toughening up, refusing advil) He is much better than I would be with that thing in my mouth I can say that for sure!

The Ensure is a good idea, thanks for the suggestion. I wouldnt normally worry he is usually a good eater but with the meds that he is on making him have a decreased appetite plus the hassle with the RPE I am definately watching things closely- He just cant afford to lose any weight. He weighs only 63lbs. :shock:

Good Luck with your expander and hope that time goes by quickly for you! :)
~*~ Kim ~*~

Next Appointment #14: Feb 26,2007

Brandyleigh35

#4 Post by Brandyleigh35 »

KJM,
Glad I could help, and I totally understand the weight thing. I have an 8th grader who weighs 85lbs. He had a pendulum appliance in his mouth last year that bascially filled the whole roof of his mouth. He had many of the same issues with eating and getting used to it and I was always on him about eating. We did a lot of milkshakes as snacks with ice cream, and protein powder thrown in. He would feel like he was getting a treat and I was happy because he was getting more calories. He managed to not lose too much during the year he had to wear it.

As an adult, my expansion is going much faster I'm sure. Im getting 8 1/4 mm of space in 16 days., and will have this contraption out of my mouth in about 4 months. Most of the kids I know have to wear the RPE for about a year, and only turn like 1 time every other day etc. You are right about them adapting so much faster though. DS and I got braces on at the same time. It took me about 2 weeks to adjust to the pressure, and my poor mouth was really irritated the whole time. My ds felt pressure for one day, and his mouth was sore for about 2 days and then he was fine, and has been ever since, and his teeth have moved like crazy in the past 6 weeks! I suppose that is why we do this when kids are young huh?

One thing I was going to tell you. I have found that pancakes are about the easiest thing to eat with this appliance. So if you son likes them you can make them every now and again to add some calories to his menu. They are truly my favorite food to eat these days for the sheer ease of how little I have to work to get them down.

Brandy

joygoss

#5 Post by joygoss »

I have a distal jet (similar to a pendulum) and I agree that the waterpik is the only way to go. Mine is actually the Interplak system, but I'm assuming that it is the same as a waterpik. but with the Interplak, you close your moth over the nozzle (kind of like the suction thingy at the dentist that sucks out the water). It has a button on the handle that shuts off the water flow so you can spit the water out as you need to. There's never any mess with this thing, unless you forget to hold down the button and you spray the entire bathroom. The system is quite small and I have one at work and one at home. It has been a lifesaver for me. Good luck!

ssfw

#6 Post by ssfw »

Hi KJM,

I have a Quad Helix expander and I use a toothpick to get food out and it works well for me.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08