What do springs do?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

meesoo100

What do springs do?

#1 Post by meesoo100 »

i think thats what theyre called. cos i have like this wiring that the doctor twisted and twisted and twisted so that they looked like springs and i have one on the left and one on the right of my bottom jaw.
just curious. i think they close up the gaps right? cos i have some gaps in my mouth from extractions.
thanks

MadeIn1984

#2 Post by MadeIn1984 »

Well, in my case a spring (or "coil" as I tend to call it) was installed into my brace between by two front lower laterals to create more space. One of my lower laterals is out-of-synch with the rest of the teeth and so needs to be rotated back into place, however, there wasn't enough space to do this initially. I've had this coil for the past nearly 6 months (almost the whole length of my treatment thus far). It's taken quite a while to make the space that there is now and they're still not sure if there'll be enough space by my next adjustment (next Thursday). We'll have to see. :wink:
Visit me on MySpace! :wink:

drazda

#3 Post by drazda »

I just got a spring put in today! It is going to create space to move in a tooth that sticks in a lot. Hopefully, there will be enough space by my next adjustment.
Braces removed 10 months early on 1/23/07!

eoberhauser

#4 Post by eoberhauser »

I'm missing a lateral and the rest of my teeth just kind of fell in line in it's place. I had a spring installed to make room for a new one that will be implanted after my treatment. Here's the progress. Note, this took about 12 days.

to...

It's opened up even more since that picture was taken.

Erin

Lala7603

#5 Post by Lala7603 »

i had coil springs for a while when i had braces. in my case, i had then to create space. kind of looked like this.... T***TT***T with teeth behind the coils. kind of hard to explain but you get the gist of it. My brother also had coils to retain space. Basically, he had braces and lost some teeth and in order to wait for the new teeth to come in, the coils were put there to retain the space. I also know he had coils at one time to help close spaces. Overall, i hated the coil springs the worst. They got stuck to my lip, collected food worst than braces, and usually hurt. I think i was more excites to see the springs go and when i actually got my braces off. WELL...Maybe not,.....but close.

SMiles
Lala
Braces On: November 21, 2003
Braces Off: December 17, 2004
Braces Back On: November 6, 2007
Braces Back Off: 2008

adollface

#6 Post by adollface »

I had four springs. Two top and two bottom to close gaps that were created to rotate teeth. Worked pretty fast. They were put on in October and the gaps were pretty much gone by January. I got them off in February and now I have tiebacks (I think those are to settle everything into place because I am almost done).

Amy
Damon 2's top and bottom
braced 12-16-04

Lyn

#7 Post by Lyn »

Meesoo100 The springs must be used for different reasons. I had mine on for about 4 months to create space for my lower to have room to fit in the bottom. Take a look at my pics. I think it did the trick, what do you think?

Image Before

Image After

Good Luck!
~Lyn
16 months in BRACES!
Ceramic Braces on top 7/3/05
Metal Braces on bottom 10/25/05
OFF 11/8/06 - Now in Essix Retainers 24/7

meesoo100

#8 Post by meesoo100 »

thanks guys your responses have been great! the only thing is i dont have teeth behind other teeth, i've just had my teeth spaced out because of extractions and now they all need to be pushed in because whilst the doc was spacing them out they protruded a little. so i guess i have the springs to neaten the teeth back in to my mouth? i dont know we'll have to wait and see hehe!
thanks again guys ;)