Too much room now?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

lesdents

Too much room now?

#1 Post by lesdents »

Hey all!

I had 4 extractions, and my progress has been great - I posted pics of it awhile back and will update them again soon.

My question is this:

Now that my canines have come in and filled the extractions holes, there is room on both sides of the canine. It's all pretty straight, and I'm thinking... is there too much room now? How can those gaps fill in? Will the molars move forward? If not, it seems like the gaps won't fill in.

Has anyone else had this thought? Did it all work out OK?

Joanna20

#2 Post by Joanna20 »

Hi! Can you show us some pics? One easy way to close gaps in to move the teeth inwards (like "stick them in") another way may be to move the molars forwards has you wrote! I'm no doctor, is just what sounds more logical to me. Why don't you ask your orthod. on ur next appointment? He'll give you a much more acurate answer or maybe someone here has an experience to share!
Good luck,
Joanna

Next Ortho. consultations: Dec. 26 & January 16
Next Higienist consultation: February

katy

#3 Post by katy »

Hi Lesdents,

I had four second pre-molars extracted to make room for severely crowded teeth. I'm now 19 months into treatment and am still waiting for the bottom gaps to completely close. My ortho is moving my molars forward to achieve this - it's a slow process for the bottom teeth but with the help of strong springs and elastics, the gaps are nearly closed now. The top gaps closed within six months using powerchains but because the teeth were so crowded beforehand, there wasn't any extra room or gaps left over anyway.

Unless your teeth were too far forward at the beginning of your treatment, I doubt your ortho would want to push them further back into your mouth as it may affect your profile... so perhaps he is also looking at moving your molars forward??

Anyway, I'm making completely uneducated guesses here so I think the best thing for you to do here would be to ask your ortho when you next see him...

Good Luck...
Katy

Raspberry

#4 Post by Raspberry »

I'm really glad that you posted this. I've been worrying about the same thing. I've had 8 teeth extracted (4 wisdom & 4 Premolars), and the thought of only having 24 teeth has kind of left me scared. I'm going to ask my ortho on Tuesday how he's going to move things in. Hopefully things can be made to look normal... cause I can't picture what all the room is going to be needed for :?: