White spots...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Evelyn

White spots...

#1 Post by Evelyn »

Oh the dreaded white spots. I've been lucky enough not to get any so far, but the other day my sister came to me asking what they were and how she can get rid of them.

For the record, she's never had braces and to my knowledge brushes well...probably not as well as us braced people do, but acceptably. So she's all of a sudden gotten white spots on her front two teeth. They're not awful, but definately there. It's kind of surprising because I thought generally they occurred in people who were 'lacking in oral hygiene' shall we say...

All I know about them is that they are called decalcification spots, and can be prevented by getting more flouride through phos-flur and stuff. However, is there any way to get rid of them? Deep down I know there probably isn't, but has anybody found any ways that have worked, other than whitening? I gave her my phos-flur to use to prevent any more, but I was just wondering what people have found on these boards...any good products that you use to avoid/get rid of them?

Thanks, Eve
Braced September 9, 2002
Debanding: JULY 5!!!!!!!!

bracesmom

#2 Post by bracesmom »

I don't know off hand of anyway to rid of them, but I have heard some people are more prone to them based on the prenatal care their mother recieved, and if they were given too much fluoride as a young child. I'm not sure if the spots just catch up later or not. You might want to do a google search on "teeth white spots" and see what comes up for more information.

Shelby014

#3 Post by Shelby014 »

I have white spots and stripes on my teeth, but they aren't decalcification spots. I have a medical condition where when the adult teeth were forming the spots and stripes formed in the tooth, but to my knowledge whitening is the only way to mask them, because you can't get rid of them. I don't know if she has the same thing as i do, but if she does, she should probably look into a store bought whitening kit, or maybe even a professional whitening treatment.
O.o*Shelby*o.O

braced on:9-29-05
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/ ... /event.png[/img]
[/url]

Way Too Old For This

#4 Post by Way Too Old For This »

I don't think oral hygiene has anything to do with it, at least in my case. I never had any before but my newly exposed canine has a couple of the backside. Her front side hasn't emerged yet so I don't know if there will be any there. Hope not. But those white spots were evident the minute that tooth was exposed.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

Evelyn

#5 Post by Evelyn »

Thanks for the replies! I'll forward this to her and check it out on google cause I'm curious too....
Braced September 9, 2002
Debanding: JULY 5!!!!!!!!

ingyandbert

#6 Post by ingyandbert »

Hubby said he had some on his teeth and they faded over time.

bckydgardnr

#7 Post by bckydgardnr »

I have white spots on my front two teeth. My dentist told me it was due to my mother being sick with a high fever when she was pregnant with me. Same thing has happened to my son. When I was pregnant with him I had a kidney infection with a very high fever, and he now has the dreaded white spots on his teeth. Whitening helps, but only veneers will take care of the problem. :(
Gardnr
bckydgardnr
braced 1/18/05