DECISIONS, DECISIONS!!!

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

rosy22

DECISIONS, DECISIONS!!!

#1 Post by rosy22 »

I am new to the board, have only posted a couple of other times. My teenage DD needs to have orthognathic surgery. We have had a real difficult time finding someone we feel comfortable with and is highly skilled in this area. We are in FL. Was wondering if anyone could offer some input about Dr. Stephen Rimer in Boca Raton and/or Dr Franklin Dolwick Gainsville. We are also considering traveling to see Dr William Arnett in Santa Barbara CA. I would be grateful for your advice. Please feel free to PM if you would like. Thanks!!!

rosy22

#2 Post by rosy22 »

It would certainly be easier and less expensive to stay local. But we are finding a very small number of OS who do this type of surgery here. It is frustrating. This is why I began to look elsewhere. I have posted on yahoo site also. So far no responses on the local docs. Dr Dolwick is certainly qualified, he is not exactly local for us being 5 hours away however. Trying to be careful on this choice, but is is frustraing hitting these walls.

rosy22

#3 Post by rosy22 »

Boy, you are blessed. Of the 3 OS we have seen, none are in ANY network. They just flat out don't accept insurance. This seems to be norm for where we live. Even Dr Dolwick which is at University of FL doesn't accept any insurance as of Jan 1 2008. You are incredibly fortunate. I suspect you all on west coast have it a bit better when it comes to this kind of stuff.

rosy22

#4 Post by rosy22 »

Oh, I forgot to add, in response to your question about any particular concern for DD which might be out of the norm. One OS diagnosed her with condylar resorption, the others have not concurred. From my research, what I've learned that this is "controversial" issue and that there is a lot of diagreement over diagnosis/treatment. That being said, being a female of her age and having BSSO puts her at higher risk by definition so this is a concern although I'm not clear on how much of a risk there actually is. I don't think the docs know either with current science. But this is another reason why I was considering Dr Arnett because this is something he appears to be well versed in from my reading. Anyone have info to add on this topic, I'd be very interested.