Sliding Genioplasty w/ PICS... Recommendation plz

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

NightFox

Sliding Genioplasty w/ PICS... Recommendation plz

#1 Post by NightFox »

Hi All,
I'm a healthy male in my mid-20s looking to get sliding genioplasty and rhinoplasty surgery. I'm tired of having to force my lower jaw outwards and hold my nose in all the time. The orthodontist x-ray showed that my bite is almost perfect, even though I have a very mild overbite. I would like to get both of these procedures as soon as possible, since I'm going somewhere special mid-May.

Please evaluate my pics:
http://picasaweb.google.com/foxpics3/Pr ... 1djPzYz3IQ

A genioplasty would be more appropriate than a chin implant because I need a significant vertical projection in addition to a horizontal projection. But please give your inputs as to how much projection is needed in both directions and how to correct my wide/long nose....

My biggest request is a recommendation (w/ pics, if available) of the best genioplasty and rhinoplasty surgeon out there in the US who takes out-patients? I would prefer to get both of these procedures done at once, but if it came down to it, I would get the sliding genioplasty first with the best surgeon available. Price is not of a concern, WE ARE talking about my new face =)...

To minimize swelling, I've already lowered my sodium intake and will start supplementing with Bromelin and Arnica very soon.

Thanks,
NightFox

NightFox

#2 Post by NightFox »

I've been hearing a lot of good things about Dr. Posnick: http://www.drposnick.com/index.html. Can anyone share their experience with Dr. Posnick?

charro callado

#3 Post by charro callado »

If your bite is satisfactory then I think you are looking in the right direction. A plastic surgeon is the best person to consult.

I don't have any experience with any plastic surgeons, so I'm afraid I can't offer any recommendations. Board Certification is the only thing I know to look for.

Good luck!

Joe
Surgery: May 15, 2009.

Figamentation

#4 Post by Figamentation »

I don't have a surgeon recommendation for you, but I just wanted to say that you are going to look AMAZING with a sliding genio and I don't even think you need a nose job but of course you have to be happy with yourself! I personally think your nose right now adds a lot of character to your face but of course you'll be more traditionally handsome with it slightly reshaped. Good luck!

brendan

#5 Post by brendan »

Hey bro-

Not to be a killjoy or anything like that, but the 'extending jaw' pics you show.. will not be solved by a sliding genio.

In order to get that look, you will need to have lower jaw surgery. To balance this, you would also need upper.

Sliding genio would simply bring your chin out.

Hope that helps. You should consult a Jaw Surg that.

If you want to just add some length/bulk to your chin, go see a Plastic Surgeon and they can add a chin implant. Or you can see a jaw surg and get Genioplasty, but the genioplasty is overall more of a risk [numbness etc].. so if you just want your chin, you might as well go implant.

However, like i said, to achieve the look i think your looking for, you probably want jaw surg

brendan

#6 Post by brendan »

Hey bro-

Not to be a killjoy or anything like that, but the 'extending jaw' pics you show.. will not be solved by a sliding genio.

In order to get that look, you will need to have lower jaw surgery. To balance this, you would also need upper.

Sliding genio would simply bring your chin out.

Hope that helps. You should consult a Jaw Surg that.

If you want to just add some length/bulk to your chin, go see a Plastic Surgeon and they can add a chin implant. Or you can see a jaw surg and get Genioplasty, but the genioplasty is overall more of a risk [numbness etc].. so if you just want your chin, you might as well go implant.

However, like i said, to achieve the look i think your looking for, you probably want jaw surg

monarch

#7 Post by monarch »

Well, this is just my humble opinion, but I think your nose is just fine! That is exactly what a guy's nose is supposed to look like. Whatever gave you the idea it needs fixing? People get their noses fixed to look like yours! But, it's your face, and if you have the $$$, and if that's what'll make you happy....

As far as the jaw surgery/genioplasty, I would think the best thing to do is have a consultation with the surgeon. They could look at your jaw and know what could be done. Since your bite is about perfect, I don't think you'd be a candidate for BSSO, which has (small) risks of permanent numbness and so on. You need to talk to an oral maxillofacial surgeon. Most of them will do a short consult for around $60. to $100.

Good luck! :D

NightFox

#8 Post by NightFox »

Thanks for all the replies =)

I like the profile of my nose, but the lateral area of cartilage part of nose could be devolumized. Debulking the the lateral tip area shouldn't t change the profile.

I have a consultation with Dr. Posnick on Monday (3/16). The consultation fee is $95, but the cheapest round-trip flight from California to Maryland is $310 =(...

Not really interested in a full-jaw surgery (BSSO), but I'm leaning towards sliding genioplasty over chin implants because I want at least one cm of vertical projection too. Plus I don't have to worry about bone re-absorption.

brendan

#9 Post by brendan »

NightFox wrote:Thanks for all the replies =)

I like the profile of my nose, but the lateral area of cartilage part of nose could be devolumized. Debulking the the lateral tip area shouldn't t change the profile.

I have a consultation with Dr. Posnick on Monday (3/16). The consultation fee is $95, but the cheapest round-trip flight from California to Maryland is $310 =(...

Not really interested in a full-jaw surgery (BSSO), but I'm leaning towards sliding genioplasty over chin implants because I want at least one cm of vertical projection too. Plus I don't have to worry about bone re-absorption.
You should Consider Dr.Arnett/Gunson. They are apparently the best in the nation. Posnick is up there too.

But since your in CA.. and they are in CA.. figured id let you know. They have a pretty long wait usually though.. but give them a call! arnettcourses.com. let em know brendan referred ya! :)

brendan

#10 Post by brendan »

PS: i have my surgery with Dr. Gunson on April 1st

lisab28

please at least consider what i'm saying.

#11 Post by lisab28 »

hi, my name is lisa. i think that you look just fine the way you are. i'm 24
years old and i think that you are a very good-looking guy. plastic surgery on your face is not easily reversible. i had a sliding genioplasty, and thank g-d, the surgeon reversed it for free when it looked absolutely terrible on me. but nosejobs aren't reversible.

have you ever thought that the problem might just be in your head? people used to tell me this all the time when i told them that i thought my chin was too small, and that i wanted to change it. when they told me this, i just thought, "they don't understand" or "they're just being nice". it was only when i got a sliding genioplasty that i realized it really was all in my head, because i looked ridiculously better before the surgery. i looked like a man with the sliding genio-- it was very unattractive on me and it projected my chin outwards immensely, and it severely elongated my face. that's the other thing--sliding genios actually make your face a lot longer. the person who i got it with was very qualified.

for 5 years, i thought that i was so ugly that i needed to save $6800 working sesame minimum-wage jobs to change my face, because i honestly thought that there was no other way that any guy would ever like me because i was so "ugly". it turned out that i had body dysmorphic disorder. im telling you the truth. you really are a good-looking guy, and i really dont think you should change anything about yourself. you should consider the fact that it might be all in your head, and that there really might not be anything wrong with you at all, and that you might be making a huge mistake by getting surgery--and that you might not be able to take it back like i was able to.

im just lucky that the surgery was reversible and that i look pretty similar to how i did before, and that i no longer look like the person i did after the sliding genio, which was so intolerable that i wore a bandage on my face for 6 weeks. whereas before, when people told me there was nothing wrong with me, when i got it reversed, they said that i definitely made the right choice because my chin was way too large for my face after the first surgery. i'm now finally happy with myself since i was treated for the real problem: body dysmorphic disorder. the problem was never my face, it was me.

lisab28

#12 Post by lisab28 »

thats the other thing about sliding genioplasties by themselves. they just focus on the chin itself. it will make your chin bulge out and elongate your face. i think it would look terrible on you. i think you look really good now.

lisab28

#13 Post by lisab28 »

you're very handsome the way you are. trust me. im not just saying that because i dont want you to go through the sesame i went through. i really do think that you're a good-looking guy.

NightFox

#14 Post by NightFox »

Lisa, thank you sooo much. I think you are beautiful too, really I do.. but i've been thinking about these two procedures for the last 2-3 years of my life, and not because someone thinks that I'm ugly, but because I want to. Please wish me luck, plz.

NightFox

#15 Post by NightFox »

Ok, lots of updates. I saw Dr. Posnick in New York on 3/16. Dr. Posnick is a very intelligent person and I’m sure an excellent surgeon, but he came across a little demanding and pushy. He started out by saying that I need lower jaw surgery in addition to a sliding genioplasty to get the results that I want (Brendan ur right). It involved 12 months on braces, followed by the jaw surgery and genioplasty, followed by another 6 months on braces. I agreed with him that for the strongest features I would need both, but I already have a near perfect bite, so why bother screwing around with that? And the risks of jaw surgery are so much, including sensation loss to the lower lips.

After I told him that I’m not interested in jaw surgery at all, he said that “genioplastyâ€