Brendan's Upper/Lower/Chin on April 1st

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

brendan

Brendan's Upper/Lower/Chin on April 1st

#1 Post by brendan »

Whatup guys!

Hahahah, i just made a video. Figure I'll want to watch it to see changes at some point, but for anyone else who wants to watch it, here it is:

3-28-09:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0GusB1G4c0

Details:

Currently my airway is 6mm and I get about 3-5% of my Total sleep in REM

Surgery:

Upper + Lower + Chin
Moving Upper and Lower forward 8mm
Doing something with my chin to balance it out

Who/Where:

Dr. Gunson
Santa Barbara, CA

Stuff I bought for Surgery:

VitaMix Blender [This thing is crazy!!!!]
48 Muscle Milks
Protein Powder
Aquaphor
Sippy Cups
Baby Spoons
Baby Toothbrush
Q-Tips + Hydrogen Peroxide
Biotene + Salt water for rinsing
L-Glutamine
Flaxseed Oil
Fiber [powder]

brendan

#2 Post by brendan »

ryanvaughnmurray

#3 Post by ryanvaughnmurray »

Hey,

I'm going to Dr. Gunson too in May for a consultation. I'm a 24 year old male. I'm seeing him for slight asymmetry, small airway, and TMJ issues. I watched the video and you don't seemed stressed at all. Good for you! I'm already trippin'.
Are you from CA? How expensive is Dr. Gunson? Are you going to him, rather than Dr. Arnett, because of the cost? Also, did you get insurance to cover the surgery? I'm shopping around for insurance right now.

Thanks,
Ryan

chicago29

#4 Post by chicago29 »

Brendan,

First and foremost, BEST OF LUCK for Wednesday. We'll all be thinking about you and can't wait to hear that you're on the other side.

It sounds like your list of items is pretty complete. I don't remember if I saw it, but I got completely addicted to Vitamin Water after surgery. I'm almost 2 months out from my SARPE and MSDO and can eat normally now, but I'm still addicted to Vitamin Water. Which, kinda sucks because that stuff isn't cheap :-)

Also I tried to check out your video but there was no sound...Not sure if it was just my computer or what, but I thought I'd let you know.

Take Care, and try and relax the next couple of days!

-Chicago29

brendan

#5 Post by brendan »

ryanvaughnmurray wrote:Hey,

I'm going to Dr. Gunson too in May for a consultation. I'm a 24 year old male. I'm seeing him for slight asymmetry, small airway, and TMJ issues. I watched the video and you don't seemed stressed at all. Good for you! I'm already trippin'.
Are you from CA? How expensive is Dr. Gunson? Are you going to him, rather than Dr. Arnett, because of the cost? Also, did you get insurance to cover the surgery? I'm shopping around for insurance right now.

Thanks,
Ryan
Ryan-

To be honest with you, when I scheduled my initial consultation, the wait for Dr. Arnett was another couple months, so I went for Gunson. After meeting him, I think he is more than qualified. He has been training with Arnett for about 10 years and also I like to consider the fact he is a lot younger. Since Arnett is getting pretty old, I am more comfortable with Gunson, even though he has done less total surgeries. Reason being.. is.. I look at people ~60+ and i don't think there is any doubting that seeing/hand eye coordination among other things to dissipate around that age.

I did not get INS to cover the surgery because my 'sleep apnea' isnt severe enough. I think its primarily because my bite is "fine". They would put me on the CPAP if anything. I just want to take care of it though. Also, to be honest with you, from what I gathered from their offices, the cost difference between Gunson and Arnett isnt much (if at all).

Since your shopping for INS.. stay the hell away from Aetna. They suck

brendan

#6 Post by brendan »

chicago29 wrote:Brendan,

First and foremost, BEST OF LUCK for Wednesday. We'll all be thinking about you and can't wait to hear that you're on the other side.

It sounds like your list of items is pretty complete. I don't remember if I saw it, but I got completely addicted to Vitamin Water after surgery. I'm almost 2 months out from my SARPE and MSDO and can eat normally now, but I'm still addicted to Vitamin Water. Which, kinda sucks because that stuff isn't cheap :-)

Also I tried to check out your video but there was no sound...Not sure if it was just my computer or what, but I thought I'd let you know.

Take Care, and try and relax the next couple of days!

-Chicago29
Thanks a lot!! Their should be sound. Maybe play around with your speakers or adjust the volume knob on youtube.com :)

brendan

#7 Post by brendan »

Also - Ryan,

Dr. Arnett will be helping Dr. Gunson with the surgery anyway. I am just happy that I have the best (Gunson and Arnett) doing my surgery.
As for choosing the primary, Arnett vs Gunson, I want to withdrawal my previous statement. I am sure Arnett is more than able to complete the surgery perfectly. I guess the main reason I chose Gunson was because I had my consult with him, and he was nice/professional and I trust he can get the job done. Thats what matters :)

ryanvaughnmurray

#8 Post by ryanvaughnmurray »

Brenden,

Thanks for your quick reply. I think it's a really cool idea to post videos on youtube of your recovery/surgery experience. I hope you post more videos, I'd be interested to see how your "hopefully speedy" recovery goes.

Do you know if Dr. Gunson/Arnett do their surgeries in their office there in Santa Barbara, or is it at a nearby hospital?

Also, did they use the 3D technology so you could see what your post-op result would look like esthetically?

Sorry for so many questions.

Thanks,
Ryan

brendan

#9 Post by brendan »

ryanvaughnmurray wrote:Brenden,

Thanks for your quick reply. I think it's a really cool idea to post videos on youtube of your recovery/surgery experience. I hope you post more videos, I'd be interested to see how your "hopefully speedy" recovery goes.

Do you know if Dr. Gunson/Arnett do their surgeries in their office there in Santa Barbara, or is it at a nearby hospital?

Also, did they use the 3D technology so you could see what your post-op result would look like esthetically?

Sorry for so many questions.

Thanks,
Ryan
Definitely.. ill post some videos up 1 week post op. 3 weeks. 1.5 months. 3 months etc.

They both do their surgery at goleta valley hospital which is nearby

and they do use all the newest 3d technology and whatnot. the post op picture result looked kinda weird though because the machine cant anticipate lip change etc. They told me the actual result is a lot better than the 'morph' the machine makes

chicago29

#10 Post by chicago29 »

Hey Brendan,

I got your video to work...you are right the volume was turned down on the YouTube window :-)

I have to say I'm really impressed with your attitude...You seem really calm and I wish I was as calm as you!! I was a wreck before my expansion surgery, and can't imagine what I'll be like for my upper/lower next year. You certainly have the right attitude and that alone will make your recovery much easier.

I do have a question...How did you get diagnosed with the airway issues? Do you know if that is something they can detect on cephalographic x-rays? I have a partially deviated septum so I am a mouth breather myself, and I know my airway is not what it should be. We hope the second surgery will help my breathing, but I've never been told by my OS that my airway is abnormal. I'm just wondering how that was diagnosed, as I'm interested myself in what my specific situation is.

It seems like the airway is your primary reason for the surgery, because your teeth and bite look awfully good.

In any regard, best of luck again to you, and I'll await hearing from you when you're on the other side.

Take Care
Chicago29

blindboarder2008
Location: in a house that has 4 walls, with lots of rooms!!! in Canada!

#11 Post by blindboarder2008 »

best of Luck brendan with your surgery on April 1st! Your video looks great and you don't seem nervous at all!!! That is pretty awesome. I'm going to be gettting Upper and Lower Jaw surgery this coming June. June 2nd to be exact!! Best of luck and let us know how you are doing when you reach the "other side"!
Braced: March 19th 2008
Impacted wisdom teeth extraction surgery: June 20th 2008 1pm (13 hours of fasting)
Jaw surgery (upper and lower)Lefort 1 with Madable Advancement: June 2nd 2009 @8am!!!! 1 surgery down 2 surgeries to go!!
debrace day: jan 18th 2010!!!! *has 2 fixed retainers and an essix retainer for night time now!

Nora Elizabeth

Happy Healing, B!

#12 Post by Nora Elizabeth »

Hope your surgery went well today and that you are recovering wonder-us-ly! I imagine life can't be too bad on the pain meds, right?! Thanks for sharing your info, the video is great -- I'm scheduled to go under the knife with Gunson on June 3rd so I greatly appreciate your insight-- looking forward to your future updates --- be well!!

newsboysgrl777

#13 Post by newsboysgrl777 »

Aww...I missed out on seeing the video (unless the error "the video was removed by the user" was just a mistake).

Anyway, I hope everything went well today and recovery is a breeze!! (I know that's wishful thinking, but these are WISHES, so they can be as unrealistic as they want to be ;) ).

Please give us an update on how you're doing when you're able. Until then, we'll be thinking about you...and wishing you the best. :)

monarch

#14 Post by monarch »

Best of luck to you!!!!!! Hope your surgery went perfectly and that you recover quickly. Looking forward to new pics whenever you have a chance to post them! :D

brendan

#15 Post by brendan »

hey guys.

just got back from the hospital.

ill post some picds and videos tomorrow when im a bit better.

initial things;

1. Swollen like hell!
2. Men: getting that catheder taken out of your... urtehtra... was very wierd
3. Pain from Surgery dosnt hurt that bad
4. Pain in throat/soar throat hurts like a mofo!!!

if you guys have any questions ask and ill respond to everything tomorrow!