Brendan's Upper/Lower/Chin on April 1st

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

brendan

#46 Post by brendan »

whatup friends

heres new videos from today

second video shows profile changes!

hope yall doin well :)

2 WEEKS POST OP:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zxxm_Rmx4fE

PROFILE CHANGES:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLjRYPAgm9s

brendan

#47 Post by brendan »

by the way.. i titled them backwards :p

brendan

#48 Post by brendan »

and holy sesame!! look at the difference in swelling from week 1 to week 2. crazy!

HokieTay

#49 Post by HokieTay »

OMG!!!!!!!!!! Amazing. Your swelling has gone down soooooo much. You're looking good. CONGRATS!

treevernal

#50 Post by treevernal »

Yo Brendan man you look good! Your swelling has gone down a lot and your speech has almost fully returned.

Do you feel a lot different? Like you have this new face and jaws, or is it pretty much the same? Must be weird getting used to a larger mouth. Does the tongue shorten with a BSSO?

Anyway man, I hope when I eventually have surgery that I have even slightly as good a result as you seem to have. Have you noticed the airway changes yet?

Here's to a speedy recovery!

-Dan

treevernal

#51 Post by treevernal »

Oh and btw, what happened to your eye?? The cornea is really red, did you injure yourself, or is that just part of the recovery?

brendan

#52 Post by brendan »

treevernal wrote:Yo Brendan man you look good! Your swelling has gone down a lot and your speech has almost fully returned.

Do you feel a lot different? Like you have this new face and jaws, or is it pretty much the same? Must be weird getting used to a larger mouth. Does the tongue shorten with a BSSO?

Anyway man, I hope when I eventually have surgery that I have even slightly as good a result as you seem to have. Have you noticed the airway changes yet?

Here's to a speedy recovery!

-Dan
Thanks man!-

Hmm, i feel pretty much the same except for the swelling in the upper jaw. It kinda prevents me from smiling like normal. But of course thats how it goes since im only 2 weeks post op. Mouth side and whatnot, i cant really notice, because im numb inside for the most part. I definitely notice airway changes to an extent. For 1, i can now sustain .. myself.. hah.. breathing through my nose. Before i would have to use my mouth a lot! Still though, i feel like once my sinuses clear up and more swelling goes down, especially in the upper jaw, it should be even better.

brendan

#53 Post by brendan »

treevernal wrote:Oh and btw, what happened to your eye?? The cornea is really red, did you injure yourself, or is that just part of the recovery?
I think when he attached my upper jaw to my cheek bone or whatever, it gave me a black eye, and the blood leaked into my cornea.

HOWEVER, i think this most likely happened because in late January i fractured my orbital rim and had a ruthless black eye for 2 months. Since it was probably fragile, it resulted in another one? I had similar blood inside my eye for about a month after the orbital rim fracture too. Sucks, but its not like im out needing to worry about how i look yet :lol:

brendan

#54 Post by brendan »

Also, i have definitely been noticing its easier to wake up.

On the other hand, I have to take these anti-teeth-clenching meds and they make you really drowsy in the morning. So i dont know if ill know the full effects of the sleep situation for another couple weeks of analysis! :?

Esoteric

#55 Post by Esoteric »

Looking great B, I hope my swelling goes down at the pace yours has. My sarpe swelling was gone with the quickness so I hope my body does the same with the bsso.

Only difference is that instead of bands I'll be wired shut for like 4 to 5 weeks which will suck, but oh well.
----Eric
SARPE survivor 9-3-08
Braced 10-15-08
Evil expander removed 3-21-09
Surgery Survivor Sept 09
Braces off July 13, 10

treevernal

#56 Post by treevernal »

Hey Brendan,

I've heard that Drs. Gunson and Arnett sometimes use Hydroyxapatate grafts to the cheekbones, orbital rims, subpupil, and nasal base to further enhance the results of the jaw advancements. Did you have any of that done?

-Dan

brendan

#57 Post by brendan »

treevernal wrote:Hey Brendan,

I've heard that Drs. Gunson and Arnett sometimes use Hydroyxapatate grafts to the cheekbones, orbital rims, subpupil, and nasal base to further enhance the results of the jaw advancements. Did you have any of that done?

-Dan
Yes they do! He said they normally do it to the cheekbones but that I had good cheekbones and it was not necessary. However, he did use it INSIDE and behind my upper jaw. Also, he used a little bit along my actual jaw line on the left side to make it more even with the right. I cant really notice the difference. But on the x-rays, one side of my jaw is 3-4mm different than the other. So he used some of that.

Thinking back on it, i would have asked for some around my eyes if I knew that was possible. I have pretty hollow areas under my eyes. Is sub-pupil .. below the eyes as well? I know the orbital rim [since i broke it] is the area around the side and top.

Thanks for your help/answers

treevernal

#58 Post by treevernal »

Hey Brendan,

I do not know Dr. Gunson, but it is my impression that he would have recommended under-eye HA augmentations only if he thought you would benefit from them. Since he didn't, he probably didn't think you needed them. From the looks of your post-surgery pics, it looks like your under-eye area is good how it is (though that could always be the swelling filling them in). Either way, you've had a great result and it will only continue to improve over time.

The sub-pupil area is halfway (vertically) between the orbital rim and nasal base points. I have attached this diagram image from Dr. Arnett's textbook, "Facial and Dental Planning for Orthodontists and Oral Surgeons" to help illustrate where all of these points lie:

I hope this helps,

-Dan

treevernal

#59 Post by treevernal »

I don't know why the above image didn't post, but if you go to:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3330/345 ... 47.jpg?v=0

you will see the image I attempted to post above.

-Dan

ryanvaughnmurray

#60 Post by ryanvaughnmurray »

Brenden,

I think I remember you saying Dr. Gunson's fees were 37K. Is that just for his fee or does that include hospital/anesthesiologist?

I see Dr. Gunson for my consultation in 2 weeks.

Thanks,
Ryan