Brendan's Upper/Lower/Chin on April 1st

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Nora Elizabeth

#61 Post by Nora Elizabeth »

B- you look great!
Ryan- an estimate of 37k is just towards surgical fee, anesthesia is an additional in 3100 or 7000 billed to insurance depending on if the anesthesiologist is an in-network provider or not. Hospital is an additional 7-15k or so...but billed to insurance. The numbers are really daunting, I know! I had my consultation w/ Gunson a year ago and am scheduled to have surgery with him on June 3rd. My insurance (Principal) will only be covering a small portion of the surgical fees--- Let me know if you want to discuss the insurance/cost issues further, I am happy to share my experience!

brendan

#62 Post by brendan »

ryanvaughnmurray wrote:Brenden,

I think I remember you saying Dr. Gunson's fees were 37K. Is that just for his fee or does that include hospital/anesthesiologist?

I see Dr. Gunson for my consultation in 2 weeks.

Thanks,
Ryan
My finals ended up at 42K surgical fees, but because he didnt do a genioplasty, i will be getting some money back.

Anesthesiologist was 3100 and hospital stay was 7200.

ryanvaughnmurray

#63 Post by ryanvaughnmurray »

Did you pay all out of pocket? I'm not from CA and my insurance most likely will not cover it. Are you in CA? How did you go about insurance with Dr. Gunson's office?
How's recovery going for you?

brendan

#64 Post by brendan »

ryanvaughnmurray wrote:Did you pay all out of pocket? I'm not from CA and my insurance most likely will not cover it. Are you in CA? How did you go about insurance with Dr. Gunson's office?
How's recovery going for you?
my ins wouldnt cover anything. basically spent all my savings from past 3-4 years. sesame, but once im all recovered think it will be worth it. breathing through my nose is already pretty awesome.

Recoverys good.. day by day ;) cant wait till i can eat soft chew!!!!! june 3rd

chicago29

#65 Post by chicago29 »

Brendan...You're looking great and glad to hear you're in good spirits.

You're on a no-chew diet for 2 full months? That's pretty long, or at least a bit longer than I've heard from others. It seems each surgeon has their own preference on how quickly you can go back to soft-chew.

I guess looking back I was no-chew for 6 weeks with a SARPE and MSDO, so it really isn't that much more now that I think about it. I have been on a regular diet now for a month and there are still plenty of odd feelings, so it is best to ease back into a normal diet.

Hope things continue to go well and keep us posted!

-Chicago29

brendan

#66 Post by brendan »

chicago29 wrote:Brendan...You're looking great and glad to hear you're in good spirits.

You're on a no-chew diet for 2 full months? That's pretty long, or at least a bit longer than I've heard from others. It seems each surgeon has their own preference on how quickly you can go back to soft-chew.

I guess looking back I was no-chew for 6 weeks with a SARPE and MSDO, so it really isn't that much more now that I think about it. I have been on a regular diet now for a month and there are still plenty of odd feelings, so it is best to ease back into a normal diet.

Hope things continue to go well and keep us posted!

-Chicago29
Thanks a lot! I'll do a 1 month post op post and pics with before and after :)

Esoteric

#67 Post by Esoteric »

Chicago, it does vary a lot on how long people seem to be told to hold off until they can soft chew. I asked my OS and he said that's why he wires you shut for 5 weeks instead of banding but what do I know. Something about the healing process....

B, your spirits seem to be great and breathing through your nose must be quite nice. Man that was a lot of money, but you can't put a price on breathing right for the rest of you life now can you....
----Eric
SARPE survivor 9-3-08
Braced 10-15-08
Evil expander removed 3-21-09
Surgery Survivor Sept 09
Braces off July 13, 10

treevernal

#68 Post by treevernal »

Hey Brendan, hope you're still recovering well.

Why did you remove your videos from youtube?

brendan

#69 Post by brendan »

Sorry, i have to upload them to another account.

Its a long story.

Anyway- i just wanted to let everyone know im doing great. Swelling goes up and down.

Having a really hard time sleeping on my back, always wake up on my face, which sucks and I am sure isnt well for my jaw.

Other than that- checked in with Dr G and my total movement was 7mm upper and 5mm lower.

I think I would of preferred a few more mm, but I am very content with everything overall :)

chicago29

#70 Post by chicago29 »

Glad to hear you're doing great. It is amazing what a difference there is after the first couple of weeks. Once that swelling is gone and you can actually eat/drink without making a mess or wanting to just give up, the rest isn't so bad.

Keep us all posted...

treevernal

#71 Post by treevernal »

hey Brendan, glad to hear you're recovering well!!

You keep waking up on your face?? Hmm, that doesn't sound good, I wonder why that is?

It's interesting to me that they gave you 9mm of advancement surgically, but when you heal, it turns out to be 7mm. I suppose they give you more advancement than you need at time of surgery knowing that you may relapse a bit as you heal? I don't know.

In any case, you must be so happy that you're through the worst of it!

I'm actually getting my plaster molds made to send to Arnett this week for my consult on July 14th. Wish me luck!

-Dan

brendan

#72 Post by brendan »

treevernal wrote:hey Brendan, glad to hear you're recovering well!!

You keep waking up on your face?? Hmm, that doesn't sound good, I wonder why that is?

It's interesting to me that they gave you 9mm of advancement surgically, but when you heal, it turns out to be 7mm. I suppose they give you more advancement than you need at time of surgery knowing that you may relapse a bit as you heal? I don't know.

In any case, you must be so happy that you're through the worst of it!

I'm actually getting my plaster molds made to send to Arnett this week for my consult on July 14th. Wish me luck!

-Dan
Dan- what i meant is he actually ended up surgically moving me only 7mm instead of 9. I will ask why next time i see him!

treevernal

#73 Post by treevernal »

Oh ok, I get what you mean now.

ryanvaughnmurray

#74 Post by ryanvaughnmurray »

Brenden,

I saw Dr. G for my consultation today and I think my surgery will be quite similar to yours. He said my airway is 2 standard deviations smaller than the average and I'll be needing my upper moved forward and also my lower moved forward as well. Because both jaws are going to be moved forward, I'll need to have cheek implants in order to avoid the "monkey look" as Dr. G put it. Did you have cheek implants? I'd love to see another video of you.

By the way, I saw your name on the sign in sheet today. I'm not a stalker, just have been interested in your case since I'm right there behind you in this process.

brendan

#75 Post by brendan »

ryanvaughnmurray wrote:Brenden,

I saw Dr. G for my consultation today and I think my surgery will be quite similar to yours. He said my airway is 2 standard deviations smaller than the average and I'll be needing my upper moved forward and also my lower moved forward as well. Because both jaws are going to be moved forward, I'll need to have cheek implants in order to avoid the "monkey look" as Dr. G put it. Did you have cheek implants? I'd love to see another video of you.

By the way, I saw your name on the sign in sheet today. I'm not a stalker, just have been interested in your case since I'm right there behind you in this process.
Haha, no problem man. Next time you are here in SB [or if you live here], just give me a call and id be glad to chat with ya etc and you can see my results in person. I live right over on bath so im really close to the office. Hopefully these damn fires dont make me evac!! im only 4-5 blocks away from mandatory evac zone, and i am sure there office is right there near the evac zone as well because state street is.

Anyway, i shot you a PM with my # if you ever wanna say whats up / see the results in person. I did not have cheek implants- he said my cheeks were 'good' stock or whatever and i wouldnt need them. Overall I am very content but like i said, i think i would have rather had my jaw moved 9mm upper / 7 lower than 7 mm upper / 5 lower. Either way, cant do anything about it now. Also, there are a few other things I would have asked about etc beforehand - anyway shoot me a call and ill let you know -