Lip Switch procedure - anyone have this done???

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

kahootz

Lip Switch procedure - anyone have this done???

#1 Post by kahootz »

Has anyone had a "lip-switch" procedure done? I have mentioned on here before that I got the wrong surgery (only my lower was done, when in actuality I should have had upper and lower). During a recent visit with Dr. Gunson, he wanted to do a lip-switch procedure to possibly help my lip incompetence. He is very hesitant to redo my jaw because I would risk more nerve damage to my lip/chin area - so he thought this might help. Another OS I went to said "absolutely not" that it wouldn't look right. Just wondering if anyone had this done along with their jaw surgery and if they were happy with the results. I guess with lip incompetence you build up your mentalis muscle and so this procedure somehow re-attaches those muscles.

kahootz

#2 Post by kahootz »

Anyone? Sounds like a common 15-minute procedure.

Jane

#3 Post by Jane »

Hi Kahootz - I don't know anything about the procedure you mention but I would strongly advise going for a few opinions on this considering that you should have had both jaws operated on and this wasn't achieved. I know in the situation with my daughter if we'd listened to the team that didn't do what they should have done in the first place, she would still be left with the outcome as they were suggesting (a) there was nothing really wrong and (b) it would be very difficult to make the movements required. When we got the second opinion we were told that there were no additional risks other than the risks with the first surgery and in addition, the movements were within the normal range - even for a first surgery. So I would suggest getting a number of opinions from the professionals. Many good wishes for a successful outcome - whatever you decide to do. God bless xx

treevernal

#4 Post by treevernal »

Hi Kahootz,

I recently had a consult with Dr. Arnett and he wants to do upper/lower jaw advancements with an upper lip "VY" reconstruction; is that what Dr. Gunson means? I researched this a bit and it looks like they basically cut the lip and reattach it with V shaped cuts. I have lip incompetence too.

Who was your orthognathic surgeon the first time around?

-Dan

cvn

#5 Post by cvn »

I'd feel pretty confident about anything Gunson suggests. He's a very sharp guy with tons of experience.

AF104

#6 Post by AF104 »

I'd go with revision orthognathic surgery. There's other problems associated with jaw deformities such as sleep apnea that lip reconstruction won't correct. The risk of numbness in the lip/chin area shouldn't be the most major consideration.

ReoSity

#7 Post by ReoSity »

I don't want to hijack your thread kahootz but does anyone have an e-mail address for Dr. Arnett or Dr. Gunson? I can't find one on there site.

kahootz

#8 Post by kahootz »

Jane: I have gotten several opinions and everyone agrees that the upper should have been done. Of course my original surgeon was like your daughter's..."What's wrong?" Thanks for the good wishes.

Treevernal: The procedure Gunson mentioned was for my lower lip, so it may be a different procedure than what you are mentioning. I think the technical name is vestibuloplasty.

AF104: Every surgeon I've talked with (including Gunson) is apprehensive about re-doing my surgery. I don't know if it's because I don't look that abnormal for a re-do or what. They are very concerned about damaging more nerves, too. It's easy to say that it might be worth the risk, but it's been hard getting used to the numbness I have now. It would be really hard to live with no feeling in my lower lip and chin. I struggle with this constantly, because I don't want to have regrets later. Gunson said he would try other things first (namely the lip switch) before he would do surgery.

p.s. I do have a local surgeon (he went to Harvard for whatever that's worth) who thinks he can do my upper and let the lower auto rotate, but he's the only one that thinks that would work. All the other surgeons say you absolutely have to do the upper with the lower. Also, this same surgeon (and his partner) says the lip switch would not work and also could damage more nerves. Ugh!!!! This is why I want to just bang my head against the wall.

I don't know what to think anymore. I hate forcing my lips closed and am tired of being a mouth breather. BUT...looks wise...I don't think most people would notice.

kahootz

#9 Post by kahootz »

BTW - I guess I'm allowed to post this, my original surgeon in Las Vegas was Dr. Moxley.