Revision surgery - Chicago student looking for top doc/ortho

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mjj929

Revision surgery - Chicago student looking for top doc/ortho

#1 Post by mjj929 »

Hi all,

Long story short, I had a Lefort 1 for Class III (a mild form with anterior
crossbite). The surgeon misplaced my jaw, and refused to correct the result.
Yes, it has been a terrible experience.

I will need a second or revision surgery and am looking for a top doc. I
already had to get a septoplasty due to the jaw surgery. I won't name the
original OS here, but will let you know who he is if you message me (he's in
Evanston). But back to why I'm here:

Right now I'm looking for a skilled and trustworthy oral surgeon to correct the
bite. Here's who I've met so far:
-Cherney
-Steinberg
-Chemello
-Olsson
-Chin
-Kallal

Will meet next week:
-Zager
-Gunson (yes, the one in Santa Barbara)

Here are the orthodontists I've met so far:
-Robbins
-Musich
-Graber
-Chung
-Jarosz
-Warshawsky

If you guys have experience/advice on these OS/orthos, I'd love to hear it. As
well, other recommendations are also welcome. Any, experience/advice with
second or revision surgery is a plus!

Thanks,
Mikey J

asmileconnectsus

#2 Post by asmileconnectsus »

Mikey J,

I'm so sorry you have to go through this again! All I can say is that Dr.G is amazing. When you see him you can tell him I say "Hi" if you want! The cost is large as a warning, but it is worth it to have results that are incredible. Not only is his work amazing, but the care that he and his staff give to their patients is amazing. I have not once felt like I couldn't ask a question or send an email or call on a weekend...it is incredible to have that support from your doctor. They are so clear about the whole process and exactly what they will need to do, and the how/why of it all. Sorry, I might be rambling, but since you have already had such a horrible experience you deserve to have the best...and Dr. G and Dr. Arnett are the best in my eyes. I hope that whomever you choose you feel comfortable with and trust. I know I was referred to them because I was/am a complicated case. I happy for you to be able to meet Dr.G and his staff!

Mary

HokieTay

#3 Post by HokieTay »

Mary - I was wondering why you went all the way to Calif. Is it because your case was so complicated? Not a great surgeon in the NE?

Mikey - I am not from the Midwest, but I would think you could find a top surgeon in Chicago since it is such a big city. I am sorry to hear about your situation. However, with all those consultations I am confident you will end up with the results you were originally going for! Good luck.
Braces first time 12/96-11/99
Braces second time 12/08-10/09
BSSO & Le Fort I 6/15!
Unwired, in elastics, and on soft foods 6/26!!!
Orthodontic elastics 7/21-8/11
Braces off... OCTOBER 2ND, 2009!

asmileconnectsus

#4 Post by asmileconnectsus »

HokieTay- I'm sure there are great surgeons in NE; however, my bite and jaw were so complicated my orthodontist only felt comfortable with Dr.Gunson or Arnett doing my surgery. To be honest I didn't even look at any other surgeons. I wanted to go where my ortho was most confident as I already had so much respect for, and trust in her. I knew she was sending me where I would get the best result.

HokieTay

#5 Post by HokieTay »

Oh okay. I was just thinking, wow the NE to Cali is quite the trek! You had BSSO, Le Fort I, and something with your cheek bones right?
Braces first time 12/96-11/99
Braces second time 12/08-10/09
BSSO & Le Fort I 6/15!
Unwired, in elastics, and on soft foods 6/26!!!
Orthodontic elastics 7/21-8/11
Braces off... OCTOBER 2ND, 2009!

asmileconnectsus

#6 Post by asmileconnectsus »

LeFort I, BSSO, cheek augmentations, counter-clockwise rotation. During the LeFort I my pallet was widened (which naturally resulted in lowering) and impacted by 1mm (help with gummy smile). My joints pre-op were VERY unstable with arthritis, my bite also very unstable because of my joints and teeth malocclusion.

Marisama

#7 Post by Marisama »

I also recommend Dr. Gunson. Just don't steal my planned 2010 Thanksgiving surgery date :D

mjj929

#8 Post by mjj929 »

Thanks for the info so far!

In regards to my search for a surgeon in Chicago, as you can tell I've met a number of surgeons. After my experience with my first surgery (and septoplasty), I really want to have this done right. The original surgery plan was pretty straightforward, move the maxilla forward a few millimeters to correct a Class III. Unfortunately the surgeon rotated my upper jaw way left taking my septum with it, leaving a crooked smile, and mismatching my bite. When I would talk to my original OS he would be very hostile and defensive, and I lost confidence in him.

My current ortho recommended Kallal. A main reason I'm heading to Gunson is that the top expert in Chicago, Kallal, recommended only the following referrals: Arnett/Gunson, Wolford, and a OS in N Carolina. I pressed him for Chicago names but he didn't have any. It threw me off. Many of the Chicago surgeons I have met know the original OS. They say the bite's off and they'll do the surgery, but I notice they don't want to point a finger at a colleague even if he messed up.

I know a second surgery has much more risk due to the scar tissue and excised bone. That's why I'm looking for an expert. It would be nice to work with one here in Chicago for recovery and followup, but I'm still looking.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

cvn

#9 Post by cvn »

Those three surgeons are who high risk/difficult patients seem to be referred to with good results. I'm using Arnett, and I'm confident with that choice that maybe I'll be finished with these stupid, horrible surgeries and because I want it done right. These surgeons are used to having out of state/out of country clients as their practices are so specialized, and redos are sadly a good portion of their practices.

Good luck. Having a failboat of a surgery to fix sucks, but don't shortcut the redo because having to have a re-redo sucks even more.

mjj929

#10 Post by mjj929 »

cvn wrote:Good luck. Having a failboat of a surgery to fix sucks, but don't shortcut the redo because having to have a re-redo sucks even more.
Cvn, wow I couldn't have put it better.

@RyanVaugn: No worries! I'm shooting for this summer or sooner.

@Mary: Thanks for the info, I'll be sure to say hi to Dr. G for you. That's awesome that you have such a good relationship with your ortho. How did she know about Dr. G? Have they worked together before?

Mikey

asmileconnectsus

#11 Post by asmileconnectsus »

Hey Mikey! Yes they have worked together a lot! My ortho flies out west for different jaw study groups that they are both part of. Right before my surgery they actually had a study group where they were able to talk about my case (again) and bounce ideas off of each other and other orthos and surgeons. (My periodontist is also part of this group.)

Esoteric

#12 Post by Esoteric »

I'm pretty sure I know of a surgeon in/around Chicago that trained with Wolford. PM me if you wan the name.
----Eric
SARPE survivor 9-3-08
Braced 10-15-08
Evil expander removed 3-21-09
Surgery Survivor Sept 09
Braces off July 13, 10

mjj929

#13 Post by mjj929 »

@Mary: Wow, that's awesome that your ortho and Dr. G know each other that well. Jaw surgery really needs a solid team approach. I go to see him this Friday. I've met a number of good doctors here, I'm curious as to how these national experts set themselves apart.

@Esoteric: I sent you a PM. I'd definitely like to know who you have in mind. The only two I can think of are Chemello and Karras. Karras did the implant for my mom, she liked him. He does not do orthognathics though odd since he's had extensive training in it.

Figamentation

#14 Post by Figamentation »

While I did not use him because of insurance reasons (my surgery ended up being done pro-bono by another surgeon), my ortho heartily recommended Dr. Kallal. I also felt very good about him and again he would have done my surgery had I not had the other snafu.

I will say that I also met with Dr. Zager and I COULD NOT STAND HIM. I have a very high tolerance for people of all personalities and yet this man gave me the creepy heebie jeebies and talked about being sexually aroused when he was taking my pre surgery photos. I'm not exaggerating whatsoever. It may not matter to you if you are male, but my ortho also can't stand this guy and refuses to work with him.

asmileconnectsus

#15 Post by asmileconnectsus »

Mikey,

How'd your consult with Dr. G go?