Cheekbone changes after surgery?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Neverloved

Cheekbone changes after surgery?

#1 Post by Neverloved »

My cheeks are...weird. :( :?

Apparently, my cheekbones project relatively far forward for a man, with the point of maximum projection being several mm ahead of my lower eyelid, which is "absolutely not typical" for someone with malar hypoplasia. But they (severely) lack lateral projection, being barely visible from the side. Of course, since my lower midface is relatively narrow and hypoplastic, the net results of this is severe melolabial folds and a rather strange cheekline; it's sort of a Y-shape, roughly diagonal at the top until the base of the nose, then weaker and vertical between there and the chin (probably because the maxilla is recessed).
But the two things that bother me the most are that my right cheekbone is even narrower than the left, which makes it grossly asymmetrical, and that even at the widest point, my cheekbones are narrower than the top of my jaw (my cheek and jaw lines never cross).

Now, I know there's plenty of relatively simple procedures to improve cheekbone appearance, like implants and bone grafts, but I don't want to think about anything like that until I have a reasonable idea of what effect my orthognathic surgery is already going to have on them.

What effects can I expect a Lefort I and possible SARPE to have on my cheekbones? Two effects I definitely want to avoid are "chubby" cheeks and hollow cheeks. From my (limited) understanding, a lefort I doesn't directly modify the cheekbones or any part of the malar complex, and neither does SARPE, so I'm struggling to see how either could possibly have a positive effect on cheek appearance. If anything, I'd imagine a wider palate would just make my face appear even flatter from the side.
Yet on the other hand, I've read many positive claims that one or other of these surgeries makes your cheeks appear more chiseled than before, and I've heard several people complain that SARPE left them with hollow cheeks (I thought that was only meant to happen with extractions?).

Is there anyone here who can give me some definitive answers?
I know this is a lot of questions, but I'm not seeing my ortho and surgeon until december 10th, and I'm getting more and more anxious about this whole thing. :(

For the record, I'm a class I with 5mm overjet, 2mm negative overbite, mild crowding, moderate vertical maxillary excess, mild maxillary hypoplasia and malar hypoplasia.
I doubt there's anyone here with my exact diagnosis, but hoping someone with some of my symptoms has been through this type of surgery before.

Neverloved

#2 Post by Neverloved »

No one? :(

qwertz1

#3 Post by qwertz1 »

noone.

there are no definitive answers because cheek bones dont change as you said. your overall appearance might change. so people who thought there was something wrong with their cheek bones, their nose, ... sometimes dont think so anymore after orthognathic surgery.

but predicting this is even hard for surgeons, let alone for you.
or board users who havent seen any pictures.

chicago29

#4 Post by chicago29 »

I agree with quertz...the fact is nobody knows. I know that's not comforting, but that's the truth. Soft tissue changes are almost impossible to predict with any level of certainty, and cheekbones are not impacted by a LeFort 1. Now, they may APPEAR to be impacted via soft tissue changes and structural alteration of other facial bones, but the fact is the cheekbones themselves are not structurally altered.

My best advice to you is to try and find an oral surgeon that is really tuned in to the aesthetic portion of this surgery. Those can be hard to find, because most concentrate on the functional occlusion. The only two I know that seem to really tune into the aesthetic are Gunson and Arnett in Santa Barbara, CA. However, I hope you have deep pockets if you go to them. They have an almost cult-like following and from the stories on here people seem thrilled with their results. I'm sure you could find others, but you'll have to do the legwork and do several consultations...

Best of luck,
Chicago29

Neverloved

#5 Post by Neverloved »

It would probably help if I still lived in the US (moved away when I was 5). To be honest, I haven't really seen much that makes me believe that doctors charging those kinds of prices actually do a much better job than any other competent surgeon. Surely it's more important to have a surgeon shares your idea of what you want to get out of the surgery?

In any case, I suppose an alternative could be to just do the surgery and then have cheek implants placed afterwards to complement the results?

I do know that several maxillofacial surgeons are also plastic surgeons, though I don't know if mine is (or even if he'll actually be my surgeon when I have the surgery, since I'm just at the very start of the process), and that many maxillofacial deformities (which what I have technically is) are treated for mainly aesthetic reasons, so are you sure it's as uncommon as you say?

If I'm totally honest with you, I don't place a huge importance on any functional improvement from surgery. Sure I'll be happy to be rid of the negative overbite, but I'll be infinitely more pleased to be rid of the long face, gummy smile and maxillary retrusion that's plagued my life for the past god knows how long.

Does anyone know a good place to see before and after pictures? I know there's some blogs, but most are a real pain to navigate and extremely hard to get good comparison shots from.

chicago29

#6 Post by chicago29 »

Neverloved,

I don't mean to suggest people don't undertake this surgery for cosmetic reasons. I guess I'm more in tune with the functional aspects myself, but you're right in suggesting there are many cases out there that are much more cosmetic.

Regardless, the soft tissue results are impossible to predict. You need to find a surgeon that is in tune with that aspect, communicate ALL of your desires from this surgery, and find the best surgeon to execute that plan.

I just hate to see you expect so many cosmetic benefits from the surgery and end up disappointed - Many times the results are in line with the patient's desires, and sometimes it does not. I think your expectations are reasonable...you just need to be sure your surgeon is aware of them and get their professional opinion on their ability to address and how best to handle them.

-Chicago29