Too old?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ReoSity

Re: Too old?

#16 Post by ReoSity »

That's interesting how your guys' digital predictions turned out and your reactions, I think it really depends on the individual because mine looks pretty okay I think.

Btw maxhammer, Gunson told me I was a good looking guy too. Guess it's better than being called the opposite! heh.

CaliforniaKid

#17 Post by CaliforniaKid »

it's funny, i only took a brief look at the digital projections. did you guys have access to a frontal view (i.e, features)? i only saw profile.

then again arnett/gunson were not 100% but they are legendary. 50k might seem like a lot, but so is ten years of braces. when im 40-50 i dont think ill regret. jaw surgery is basically 2 years of college+cost of living currently. and while my surgical fee isnt supposed to rise, my tuition is getting jacked up every year.

im fairly certain one of the primary reasons why people go for arnett/gunson is for aesthetics. finding an oral surgeon that can correct a bite isn't too difficult, so if you are already comfortable with your looks as i believe the OP should be then i personally wouldnt go for it. but maybe i just have different expectations.

OP has attractive features, i really hope people dont go through the pain of jaw surgery exclusively for looks.

they are cheaper and less invasive ways (cosmetic surgery - implants, etc).

maxhammer

#18 Post by maxhammer »

ReoSity wrote:That's interesting how your guys' digital predictions turned out and your reactions, I think it really depends on the individual because mine looks pretty okay I think.

Btw maxhammer, Gunson told me I was a good looking guy too. Guess it's better than being called the opposite! heh.
Reo, did you go through with the surgery? If so, how accurate were the Dolphin images?

maxhammer

#19 Post by maxhammer »

CaliforniaKid wrote:it's funny, i only took a brief look at the digital projections. did you guys have access to a frontal view (i.e, features)? i only saw profile.
I only have the profile shot. Do they have a frontal shot? I'd like to ask for that if so

ReoSity

#20 Post by ReoSity »

maxhammer wrote:Reo, did you go through with the surgery? If so, how accurate were the Dolphin images?
Nope, still in the early stages of braces. I think it's important to remember no one will look worse post-surgery even if the prediction looks off. Arnett/Gunson are two of the best in the business, their patient results speaks for themselves. I have no doubt I will look very similar or even better than the digital prediction since the imaging can't predict lip movement very well (they'll be closer together in my case).
maxhammer wrote:I only have the profile shot. Do they have a frontal shot? I'd like to ask for that if so
There are no front shots, at least not with the program they use. It's be very difficult for a program to do that, the technology just isn't there yet I don't think.

Summertimeolive

#21 Post by Summertimeolive »

I guess being told you look nice or handsome cant be a bad thing. He mentioned I had pleasant eyes and cheekbones. I figured I'd post my prediction photo as well, I absolutely hate it. Im in braces now moving towards jaw surgery but Im somewhat on the fence.
My pre photo is me with my jaw in its natural relaxed position which is open.

I was proposed 5mm upper jaw impaction and lower jaw 15mm movement. To me the lower jaw sounds too much.

For anyone here who has consulted with Arnett/Gunson do you mind sharing your case and proposed jaw movement, impaction etc....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ReoSity

#22 Post by ReoSity »

Wow you're gonna look seriously amazing. I rarely see anyone with inter-labial gap as large or larger than mine before surgery.

I'll also be having a 4-5mm maxillary impaction (and a small advancement) with a 10mm lower jaw advancement. I already had a 8 mm sliding genioplasty in the past so the total movement of my mandible will be 18mm.

Summertimeolive

#23 Post by Summertimeolive »

ReoSity wrote:Wow you're gonna look seriously amazing. I rarely see anyone with inter-labial gap as large or larger than mine before surgery.

I'll also be having a 4-5mm maxillary impaction (and a small advancement) with a 10mm lower jaw advancement. I already had a 8 mm sliding genioplasty in the past so the total movement of my mandible will be 18mm.
Reosity when are you having jaw surgery? Who are you having it with... I was told 5mm upper jaw impaction and 15mm lower jaw movement :S i dont like that.... I would love it if you could post some photos. Are you serious or are you kidding about me looking good- doesnt the digital image look very strange, Im not happy with it. :Questions: ..
My jaw is naturally open and I also have a short upper lip, so it doesnt help. :FeelSick: :FeelSick: :lol:

maxhammer

#24 Post by maxhammer »

ReoSity wrote:I rarely see anyone with inter-labial gap as large or larger than mine before surgery.
What is the inter-labial gap?

ReoSity

#25 Post by ReoSity »

Summertimeolive wrote: Reosity when are you having jaw surgery? Who are you having it with... I was told 5mm upper jaw impaction and 15mm lower jaw movement :S i dont like that.... I would love it if you could post some photos. Are you serious or are you kidding about me looking good- doesnt the digital image look very strange, Im not happy with it. :Questions: ..
My jaw is naturally open and I also have a short upper lip, so it doesnt help. :FeelSick: :FeelSick: :lol:
Hopefully early next year and like I said with gunson. And of course I'm not kidding, your bite is corrected with your jaws are in the proper position. Again if it looks strange it's because its the best their imaging could do, you real life results will be very natural looking no doubt.

maxhammer- the distance between your upper and lower lips at rest. For most people it's between 0-3 mm.

maxhammer

#26 Post by maxhammer »

ReoSity wrote:maxhammer- the distance between your upper and lower lips at rest. For most people it's between 0-3 mm.
Gotcha. Mine looks pretty close to your after photo, maybe 1mm larger.
Personally, I don't find your before shot offensive at all. Even with the mouth open like that it looks fine.

littlemouth

#27 Post by littlemouth »

I am the same age as Tracey55, and only wish I had understood the extent of my issues sooner.

Even though I've had braces twice, I live with a compromised bite causing tooth & TMJ wear. I recently learned that my small jaw anatomy leaves me with a severely restricted airway and sleep apnea - which only gets worse with age :| . I've just started to learn how much this has been impacting my health.

Although I haven't yet committed to a surgical plan, the age factor does lend urgency to making treatment decisions. I wish I had known about all of this years ago, but on the other hand technology keeps improving.

BTW, No one has suggested that I am too old for surgery.

Bullfighter

#28 Post by Bullfighter »

maxhammer wrote:... I can't justify the functional purposes, so I will pass on the surgery. Please think about that. You look good as is; don't mess with it unless there are serious functional problems. I also asked my dentist and orthodontist about borderline patients they've seen who have jaw surgery, and most regret it. The people who love the results have large over/underbites, cross bites, open bites, etc and really look f'd up.
I'm over 40 and had BSSO last year for an overjet and open bite, enough to cause functional problems but cosmetically not something anyone would notice.

I'd agree this is something you don't want to do unless it's truly necessary. While I have recovered the vast majority of sensation on my chin and lower lip, I wouldn't say --15 months later -- that everything feels normal. I do have a much more even bite, so probably saved my back teeth, but nerves are fragile and surgery isn't magic. I'm definitely conscious every day that my lower jaw was cut and moved. It looks GREAT, but at least for me it's not healing gets you the point where you'll feel like nothing happened.

Tracey55

#29 Post by Tracey55 »

Hey Littlemouth!
I too had braces when I was a teenager. Too bad "they" didn't have the technology they have today! I didn't know anything about jaw function etc until my mother had Orthognathic surgery when she was in her 50 's! And that was almost 30 years ago!! She passed away 5 years ago but never for a minute regretted her surgery! She is my inspiration, I only wish she was alive to help me through this :D 10 days til the SARPE... Then the upper braces .... Then lower jaw surgery. Should be finished mid 2013!
Keep me posted on your decisions!! Good luck :P

littlemouth

#30 Post by littlemouth »

Tracey55, I'm sorry to hear that you lost your mom. Heading for surgery must be one of those times when a mom would be hard to replace. I will be watching for your progress.