Less symmetry post op

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

PrincessLea

Less symmetry post op

#1 Post by PrincessLea »

Has anyone experienced less symmetry AFTER their surgery? I know obviously you have all the swelling that needs to go which can cause it but anyone after the swelling has gone?

I am 9 weeks post op (I know still in the range for swelling for a good few months yet) BUT I spoke to my surgeon about my face and she seems to think it is mainly my face and not the swelling :/

I feel quite upset about it because to me its really noticable and a hell of a lot worse than it was pre surgery :( :(

annepanne

Re: Less symmetry post op

#2 Post by annepanne »

I haven´t had surgery yet. But isn´t surgery supposed to make it better and symmetrical. THis surgeon -what does she mean?? I´m so sorry for you. I´m reading all these posts about post surgery and makes me rethink if I am going to do this. Hope it gets better after you´re swelling.

PrincessLea

#3 Post by PrincessLea »

Thanks for your reply! Yeah it is supposed to but the symmetry wasn't taken into account prior to my op. I had it done for free on the NHS in england and for functional reasons. As my asymmetry was very minimal pre op it wasn't taken into account. Now its very noticeable. I don't think it helps that I have a slim face so you can see the lack of symmetry more.

I am worried but I will be seeing her again in July and I will bring it up again :( Sorry that things like this could put you off your surgery!! You need to do what's right for you. The main thing is my bite is right now and I have less pain than I did before!

maxhammer

#4 Post by maxhammer »

Why wasn't your symmetry taken into account?
That seems ridiculous.

CaliforniaKid

#5 Post by CaliforniaKid »

Unfortunately most surgeons - particularly those without experience in cosmetic dentistry - are more concerned about the bite and mechanics of the jaw than the "looks." i guess many here can name the rockstar surgeons who focus exclusively on the symmetry of the jaw in relation to the face as a whole, many surgeons might not, especially if they're only getting paid by the year than the per surgery, as is the case in the NHS as far as i know.

also, there is no such thing as "free" medicine. did your doctor and ortho ever even remotely suggest the surgery might negatively alter the symmetry of your face? 9 weeks post op probably isn't enough time to start complaining about symmetry just yet. in 6 months you'll know for sure.

PrincessLea

#6 Post by PrincessLea »

@maxhammer - I Know! Before surgery I was feeling as if they weren't fully taking it seriously. They never even took before pictures etc to scrutinise and I asked them if they were going to. All they said was if you want them we can but we don't need to. It does really pee me off that they didn't take into account!

@Calirforniakid - Yeah I completely agree! I wouldn't mind some asymmetry. Like i have said in previous posts I have never been striving for perfection (I think that is a very slippery road to get on) I just want to feel normal and I don't think that's a lot to ask! The asymmetry I have at the moment I feel is very noticeable. Someone at work the other day (she is a right cow) said I looked like I had had a botched botox job :( On the other hand what my surgeon has done with my bite is great and I know she is a good surgeon. Its weird because she is aesthetically focussed aswell. She wanted to get the bite right but now she will be doing a genio, again on the NHS, for purely aesthetic reasons! For which I am very grateful! Yes you're right NHS surgeons are paid by the year. (Salaried)

The surgeon and ortho at no point whatsoever, even remotely, suggested it might negatively alter the symmetry of my face. I may have thought twice about the surgery if they had. I know its very early days but the reason I am worrying is initially I thought its only swelling but after speaking to my surgeon she is sure most of it isn't swelling!

After saying all this though I am very very lucky to have the NHS. Yes we pay taxes for it (very minimal) but I know I would never be able to afford this surgery if I paid out of pocket. And to be honest I personally would not want to. My case was quite minor and for me that wouldn't have been worth it. I suppose I just need to be happy with what I have got!!

CaliforniaKid

#7 Post by CaliforniaKid »

I know this is an underrated topic but most surgeons out of the US are trained specifically for correcting the bite. aesthetics is a distant, distant second.

in the US, orthognathic surgeons are usually paid per surgery, and most make aesthetics a central focus because the jaw affects virtually every area of the face - eyes, nose, cheeks, etc.

and most surgeons are capable of doing cheek augmentations, chin implants/reductions, etc...to compliment whatever changes the jaw might have on the face.

projections can be misleading, especially if you get them before braces.

im super stoked i have arnett/gunson because their entire business is predicated on aesthetics as well as a healthy bite. i wish i knew more about the NHS. i dont like my 51,000 per-surgical deposit fee (just updated) in addition to hotel, secondary surgeon, and addition fees if another procedure is required.

orthognathic surgery is one of those niche areas of medicine that make it very difficult to reduce the costs without losing competitive surgeons who might work elsewhere for higher salaries.

rnett/gunson would never considering working in europe on a government salary. heck, they get paid more for speaking engagements in europe than they would for performing an actual surgery.

princess, i wish you good luck on whatever you decide to do. you are young, and fortunately have several opportunities to pursue alternative surgeries that won't break your financial status. in the US, a second surgery to fix a bad jaw surgery can cost more than the original surgery and is often paid out of pocket. sucks for us.

ReoSity

#8 Post by ReoSity »

CaliforniaKid wrote:I know this is an underrated topic but most surgeons out of the US are trained specifically for correcting the bite. aesthetics is a distant, distant second.

in the US, orthognathic surgeons are usually paid per surgery, and most make aesthetics a central focus because the jaw affects virtually every area of the face - eyes, nose, cheeks, etc.

and most surgeons are capable of doing cheek augmentations, chin implants/reductions, etc...to compliment whatever changes the jaw might have on the face.

projections can be misleading, especially if you get them before braces.

im super stoked i have arnett/gunson because their entire business is predicated on aesthetics as well as a healthy bite. i wish i knew more about the NHS. i dont like my 51,000 per-surgical deposit fee (just updated) in addition to hotel, secondary surgeon, and addition fees if another procedure is required.

orthognathic surgery is one of those niche areas of medicine that make it very difficult to reduce the costs without losing competitive surgeons who might work elsewhere for higher salaries.

rnett/gunson would never considering working in europe on a government salary. heck, they get paid more for speaking engagements in europe than they would for performing an actual surgery.

princess, i wish you good luck on whatever you decide to do. you are young, and fortunately have several opportunities to pursue alternative surgeries that won't break your financial status. in the US, a second surgery to fix a bad jaw surgery can cost more than the original surgery and is often paid out of pocket. sucks for us.
Hey does your new updated fee include hospital and anesthesia? I remember yours used to be 41k for just the surgical deposit right, why the change?

CaliforniaKid

#9 Post by CaliforniaKid »

Hey does your new updated fee include hospital and anesthesia? I remember yours used to be 41k for just the surgical deposit right, why the change?
new estimate based on the information im assuming was transmitted from my ortho and arnett/gunson.

unfortunately it does not include the anesthesiologist but we think our insurance might cover part of the hospital which is almost $8-10k. im not counting the standard $400 pre-surgery physical and final exam by the surgeons. ugh.

bracedfaced

#10 Post by bracedfaced »

PrincessLea,

I came across your blog and took a look at your pictures. While you looked a little asymmetrical post-surgery, you look significantly better now. I think a lot of it was swelling. Based on your latest pictures, I would say any asymmetry is minimal.

I'd be happy with your results! Just my opinion!

maxhammer

#11 Post by maxhammer »

I just viewed your blog. Where is the asymmetry? I don't see any problems...

PrincessLea

#12 Post by PrincessLea »

If you look on the right die of the picture my jawline is much bigger. When my lips are fully relaxed too my lips slope down that way. My nose is a little crooked too but I do think that part is swelling. I asked my surgeon initially about the lips thinking it was just swelling and she said I am just asymmetrical and she thinks the difference in my jaw line is not swelling!

@bracedface - thank you for your kind words! Since reading that I did actually go back and look at before pictures and the latest after ones. I think I have been obsessing over the asymmetry but yeah stepping back and just looking at the pictures as a whole, on the whole I do look better. That was a bit of a reality check so thanks!

maxhammer

#13 Post by maxhammer »

Everyone is asymmetrical, though, if you look hard enough.

Yours is in the realm of "I wouldn't notice if you didn't mention it"...even after you mention it I find it hard to see. I think you look good.

CaliforniaKid

#14 Post by CaliforniaKid »

I asked my surgeon initially about the lips thinking it was just swelling and she said I am just asymmetrical and she thinks the difference in my jaw line is not swelling!
question - do your lips seal naturally at rest? i can't tell based on the first picture. that is usually one of the primary goals of jaw surgery. i can see super minor asymmetry (right jaw is more defined than the left) and i would never go through jaw surgery again to correct that, ever.

id be more concerned about functioning than looks at this point. you look very good and the difference between before and after is quite clear.

PrincessLea

#15 Post by PrincessLea »

Thanks Maxhammer! Its good to hear that off people that are in tune with it all! As my friends/family couldn't understand what was wrong in the first place (pre op)

Californiakid - No they don't seal naturally at rest they still hang open! And I am still very much a mouth breather. But also I have one nasal passage thats practically closed and the other very narrow too. (need another op for that) So after that mouth breathing might be less. I am having the genio though which should help with the lips too! I am realising it would not be worth it at all to go through it again. The genio I think is enough to make me happy with results!

Thanks also! I didn't think you could tell as I have been so obsessed with the asymmetry but looking back at before pictures, it is definitely an improvement!