Surgery with Gunson

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

treevernal

Re: Surgery with Gunson

#16 Post by treevernal »

CaliforniaKid wrote:
RYANvaughn wrote:
CaliforniaKid wrote:yup.
Care to share?
a few weeks from today.
LOL, someone likes to be vague ;)

CaliforniaKid

#17 Post by CaliforniaKid »

like to maintain some privacy here. :D i will be providing updates on my progress assuming all is well, which is what i can only hope for.

Marisama

#18 Post by Marisama »

I'm curious as well CK. Fill us in.

CaliforniaKid

#19 Post by CaliforniaKid »

Back from surgery today. I don't think I want to post any pictures just yet because my face is so bloated, sort of like a chimpmonk. Not sure when I'll see the complete results from the surgery, it's only been a few days ago. Too preoccupied with the pain and numbness.

CaliforniaKid

#20 Post by CaliforniaKid »

grossjaw wrote:How are the preliminary (bloated) results looking?

How was the entire procedure, everything go smoothly?

preliminary results? I didn't know what to expect other than serious swelling and numbness. I have lots of twitching and muscle spasms. as far as looks go, not exactly pretty, but I shouldn't being noticing any permanent results for at least a few months from what I know.

surgery itself went OK, did not enjoy staying in the hospital overnight. food is really on my mind, I've lost 9 pounds in the last four days.

Marisama

#21 Post by Marisama »

Hey CK. Hope as is well and that you're recovering quickly. Did you find the first night post op painful? The hospital stay is what I'm most nervous about. How was your breathing?

CaliforniaKid

#22 Post by CaliforniaKid »

first post-op was extremely painful for me, but everyone is different. I'm still in a lot of pain

Marisama

#23 Post by Marisama »

If you don't want to share more details, I understand, but it would be helpful if you could describe your experience a little more.

CaliforniaKid

#24 Post by CaliforniaKid »

What do you want to know? I'm barely a week post-op so I don't know what else to say other than my face is sore and not eating sucks. I'll definitely post more as my recovery progresses. I've been taken photos daily so I can look back when this is all over.

ReoSity

#25 Post by ReoSity »

Yeah seriously what else do you expect him to say? He's recovering, give him some time and I'm sure he'll address all your questions more in detail. Btw are you a guy, I don't want to keep using male pronouns if you're female.

And Marisama, nice name change.

Marisama

#26 Post by Marisama »

You're right reosity. Guess that was a bit annoying.

Marisama is my name in Japanese. I grew up there. It's kind of like "Daniel San" except Sama is the suffix for royalty. :D

CaliforniaKid

#27 Post by CaliforniaKid »

so I just thought I'd offer an update. I'm more than 4 weeks post-op as of today. I still have some of swelling. Overall everything has gone okay. One thing that is kind of annoying is one side of my face is smaller and larger (depending on the location) than the other, creating a sort of unbalanced look. Gunson said the soft tissue will even out by week 16-20. Any past Arnett/Gunson patients experienced similar issues? At what week did you feel your pain level and appearance was at 90%?

CaliforniaKid

#28 Post by CaliforniaKid »

grossjaw wrote:
CaliforniaKid wrote:One thing that is kind of annoying is one side of my face is smaller and larger (depending on the location) than the other
I've heard a lot of people say they come out of surgery asymmetrical (sometimes even more so). I can't figure out if it's because they're analyzing their faces more closely or something with the surgery...you'd think if both jaws are shaved down/augmented exactly the same then there wouldn't be any asymmetry. Hopefully in your case it's just that they did more work on one side and there's more swelling there. How bad is it? Is it something everyone would notice?
do they say the asymmetry goes away? it isn't too terrible, and Gunson even told me not too worry and everything will look fine as the swelling goes down and the soft tissue heals. As an example, this is the kind of asymmetry I have atm:

http://jawsurgeryblog.wordpress.com/201 ... -new-year/

not exactly but that's the closest example I can find. I don't care that much as long as I hold on to the knowledge that it will even out eventually.

CaliforniaKid

#29 Post by CaliforniaKid »

I think it will be fine to be honest. ill keep this thread updated regardless.

CaliforniaKid

#30 Post by CaliforniaKid »

those who are curious - i am continuing my progress updates here:

http://jawsurgeryforums.com/surgeon-rev ... on-gunson/