Second surgery to fix bad result - Pics included

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ramirezmu8

Second surgery to fix bad result - Pics included

#1 Post by ramirezmu8 »

Hey guys. In June of 2011 I had double jaw surgery to fix my underbite. My top jaw was moved forward 4mm and cut into 3 pieces to expand it. Lower jaw was brough back 4mm. Although my bite was fixed, the surgeon, ortho, and I agreed that we did not achieve the best possible result aesthetic wise. Also, my maxilla relapsed and became too narrow once again. Additionally, the teeth in my upper arch became flared. I had the surgery re-done 6 1/2 weeks ago on August 15th by the same surgeon. This time around my top jaw impacted 4mm, cut into 3 pieces to expand it once again, and rotated counter clock wise to fix the position of my maxillary teeth. My mandible was brought back 5 mm more. Recovery process this time around was more rough in terms of being banded shut and having the splint in for a longer period of time. After the first surgery I was banded shut for 10 days. I was banded shut for 4 weeks after the second surgery. I had a splint in for 3 weeks the first time and the second time exactly 6 weeks. I am definitely pleased with the results. My profile is now more balanced and the length of my face has been reduced. I started this whole process back in June of '09 with braces. Any questions or comments are welcomed

Before first surgery

Before second surgery
After second surgery

beetle

Re: Second surgery to fix bad result - Pics included

#2 Post by beetle »

Hey looking great! Congrats on making it through twice with such a positive attitude!
Who was your surgeon?
I have surgery with dr Arnett in Santa Barbara in a week...getting nervous!

secondsurgery

#3 Post by secondsurgery »

I had a second surgery as well, both upper and lower, 8 months after the first. What can you tell me about the numbness / recovery the 2nd time? I've been told there is a higher probability of permanent numbness. Though my actual recovery seems to be moving along quicker or perhaps I know what to expect this time I am concerned the numbness / stiffness (lower) is not going away. Not too many of us repeats to discuss.

ramirezmu8

#4 Post by ramirezmu8 »

Beetle: I had the surgery done at UCLA by Dr. Felsenfeld. Good luck with your surgery! Wish you the best.

Second surgery: Why did you have your surgery redone? As far as numbness goes, I didnt ask the surgeon but I have an appointment with him on Friday so ill ask him then.

secondsurgery

#5 Post by secondsurgery »

First Surgery was a failure, left with 5mm offset both upper and lower jaw and extreme open bite. Second Surgery is 100% different and better (results) though I seem to be 'stuck' with numbness, no progress since 6 weeks post surgery. Am 8 1/2 weeks post surgery at this writing. I was told the swelling and recovery would be harder the 2nd time, and was actually much better. Was told permanent numbness has a higher probability. Just looking for real life experiences from those who go through (2x) can relate and comment.

Bomb

#6 Post by Bomb »

Only 1 surgery for me. But I am 52 years old. I am 14 weeks Post Op and have numbenss in lower lip, chin and tongue. I was in high anxiety mode from weeks 8-14 in terms of the numbness not going away. But I have started to accept the fact it may never go away. Two issues, the numb tongue creates a 7x24 odd sensation in my mouth. It's as if I burnt my tongue on a hot drink. The numb lip is only a problem when I chew, I bite my lip. But my Ortho thinks he can pull my teeth in to fix that. So I am still very hopeful, positive and optimistic the numbness goes away. And in the last 3 weeks I have begun getting tingling! Keep me posted and good for you and all of us that have gone through this.

Bomb

#7 Post by Bomb »

Only 1 surgery for me. But I am 52 years old. I am 14 weeks Post Op and have numbenss in lower lip, chin and tongue. I was in high anxiety mode from weeks 8-14 in terms of the numbness not going away. But I have started to accept the fact it may never go away. Two issues, the numb tongue creates a 7x24 odd sensation in my mouth. It's as if I burnt my tongue on a hot drink. The numb lip is only a problem when I chew, I bite my lip. But my Ortho thinks he can pull my teeth in to fix that. So I am still very hopeful, positive and optimistic the numbness goes away. And in the last 3 weeks I have begun getting tingling! Keep me posted and good for you and all of us that have gone through this.

secondsurgery

#8 Post by secondsurgery »

I too am an 'old' patient (48 yrs)!

ramirezmu8

#9 Post by ramirezmu8 »

secondsurgery wrote:First Surgery was a failure, left with 5mm offset both upper and lower jaw and extreme open bite. Second Surgery is 100% different and better (results) though I seem to be 'stuck' with numbness, no progress since 6 weeks post surgery. Am 8 1/2 weeks post surgery at this writing. I was told the swelling and recovery would be harder the 2nd time, and was actually much better. Was told permanent numbness has a higher probability. Just looking for real life experiences from those who go through (2x) can relate and comment.
I'm glad you're happy with the results. At almost 7 weeks post op my bottom lip and chin are 100% numb. We just got to wait it out and see what what happens. On a good note, most of the swelling is gone.

What do you guys think of the result of the second surgery?

Bomb

#10 Post by Bomb »

You should be very happy! Congratulations and best wishes for full recovery to you and all!

Minerva

#11 Post by Minerva »

Good results. Congratulations, and I hope your numbess goes away soon.

Thank you for posting pictures.