Consdering moving to Cali to see Arnett & Gunson

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

spacejanitor

Consdering moving to Cali to see Arnett & Gunson

#1 Post by spacejanitor »

Hey all,

I'm new here and from Toronto, Canada. Yes, it sounds drastic, but I may have the opportunity to move to California for work reasons, and as such, am considering getting treatment by the peoples' champ, A&G.

I have a slightly complicated case as I had a bicuspid extraction on my lower jaw and braces to fix my bite, but I'm unhappy with the result and remaining skeletal asymmetry, so I want to make sure any other work that I do is done at the best hands possible.

All that I have heard about A&G is that they are very good, but I'd like to hear as much as possible from those with experience. If you've had surgery with them... if you know others who've had it... whether Arnett is generally "better" than Gunson or vice versa... results with either one.

Anything is helpful. Thanks for your time!

katsface

Re: Consdering moving to Cali to see Arnett & Gunson

#2 Post by katsface »

I lived in LA for four years. It was an amazing experience. If you can afford it, I say go for it.
Treatment-
  • Braces: In-Ovation L (lingual) on top, and In-Ovation R (metal) on bottom
  • SARPE
  • BSSO advancement
  • estimated 18-22 months
SARPE
  • Expander installed Jan 14th 2013
  • Surgery Feb 18th 2013
  • Turn 26 days to 13mm. Gap between teeth maxed out at 12-13mm.
  • Gap down to 7mm Apr 18
  • Gap Closed Aug 6
  • Expander out Sep 19
BSSO
  • Insurance approved, surgery scheduled for Dec 18!

puglover

#3 Post by puglover »

I am having surgery with Dr. Gunson in August. I know Dr. Arnett has been around longer than Gunson but Arnett is less available due to teaching etc. BUT both doctors will be at the surgery and they both do measurements and work together on the plan...so it really doesn't matter who you get because both of them are available to you.

I have yet to met Dr. Arnett but Dr. Gunson and their whole staff are SO nice and helpful!! Lena (the head nurse I suppose) is the sweetest women in the world, very motherly.

As you probably know they are very expensive. But this is your face...you really can't skimp on that. The consult alone was like $500...but after talking with Dr. G I did not want to talk to anyone else. I asked him if my case was difficult and he said, "Most surgeons would not be able to work on you...let's just put it this way...I won't lose sleep the night before your surgery." Such an O.G.

Angela

sirwired

#4 Post by sirwired »

I wouldn't make a decision where to move based on the presence of A/G. You can move wherever you like, and just travel for the surgery; plenty of people do. The travel and lodging costs are rather puny in the big scheme of things. (Especially compared to A/G's fees!)

bmueller

#5 Post by bmueller »

Gotta agree with the others, its an operation on your face! Only go with someone you have 110% trust in, and if that's A&G, go with it. The cost will be worth it in the long run.

I also agree that you don't need to move permanently to LA. I've heard of many people traveling just for the surgery to LA to have surgery with them.

CaliforniaKid

#6 Post by CaliforniaKid »

I am having surgery with Dr. Gunson in August. I know Dr. Arnett has been around longer than Gunson but Arnett is less available due to teaching etc. BUT both doctors will be at the surgery and they both do measurements and work together on the plan...so it really doesn't matter who you get because both of them are available to you.

I have yet to met Dr. Arnett but Dr. Gunson and their whole staff are SO nice and helpful!! Lena (the head nurse I suppose) is the sweetest women in the world, very motherly.

As you probably know they are very expensive. But this is your face...you really can't skimp on that. The consult alone was like $500...but after talking with Dr. G I did not want to talk to anyone else. I asked him if my case was difficult and he said, "Most surgeons would not be able to work on you...let's just put it this way...I won't lose sleep the night before your surgery." Such an O.G.
Dr. Arnett and Dr. Gunson no longer operate together. They work on alternating days and I don't think they are even in the office at the same time, or rarely.

The only time they would run by any treatment plan between each other is if there is a problem, but I was told since they both follow the same philosophy and treatment approach this is extremely rare and they always come to the same conclusions.

They are good surgeons but the cost can be prohibited. Some fees reach 100k+ and they are not in any insurance network.

jawsurgeryforum has a lot more info on arnett/gunson and my thread should be linked below. feel free to ask any questions.