Just Consulted with Dr. Arnett - questions

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

MeyerLemon

Just Consulted with Dr. Arnett - questions

#1 Post by MeyerLemon »

For my first post - a report on my first consult!

I've been referred to Dr. Arnett by 2 dentists and an ortho - my ortho when I was in High School, the first dentist while still in High School, and my new dentist down here in southern California. So I finally went to at least talk to him!

Big long 3 hour consult. Maybe even a little longer. Found out more about what is going on between my jaws/bite/airway than I really wanted to know. Bottom line is there are some things in there that would make this surgery really impactful for me from an airway and aesthetic point of view, not to mention finally having a stable bite!

A few drawbacks: 1) It's crazy expensive, but my insurance will pick up 100% of the hospital stay and about 1/6 of the surgery
2) I'm TERRIFIED of the surgery. Super scared. Also can't afford to take like 4 weeks off or work, and I basically talk for a living. They assure me I could go back after 1-2 weeks, and I can take 1 week 100% off and work from home for week 2, but...sheesh. Sounds scary.
3) Aesthetics. A component of this is cosmetic - not all, but a piece. How do I know I'm going to like what I look like after? I'm pretty vain, and I don't mind admitting it. Has anyone ever considered paying out of pocket for a cosmetic consult? Just a thought.

So anyway, that's my introduction. I had braces on in 7th through 10th grade, and it didn't do the job for me because of the Class II. Better than when it started, but not there. The surgery would be both jaws, but the good thing is that my joints are perfect!

I'm considering a 2nd opinion with Dr. Relle, since he's not far from where I live.

Input would be very welcome!

samoorelaw

Re: Just Consulted with Dr. Arnett - questions

#2 Post by samoorelaw »

Always go for a second consult. The first surgeon I considered told me I needed double jaw surgery but the second surgeon I went with said I needed only single jaw surgery and he was correct: my bite is close to perfect 9 weeks post-op. I'm grateful every day I didn't go with the first surgeon, who was in network: spent a lot less money with my out of network surgeon!
Braces removed for 3rd and final time July 14, 2016!!!!

Permanent 8 crowns front 8 teeth (upper) January 30, 2015

Braces removed again December 3, 2014!!

Partial braces re-installation September 25, 2014

Braces removed September 4, 2014!

MeyerLemon

#3 Post by MeyerLemon »

Oh, I don't think there is any doubt they both need to be moved. I've known that since I was a kid. But yes, since I'm so close to Dr. Relle I probably will. It's just another check and another day off of work. Not that big of a deal in the long run.

sirwired

#4 Post by sirwired »

samoorelaw wrote:Always go for a second consult. The first surgeon I considered told me I needed double jaw surgery but the second surgeon I went with said I needed only single jaw surgery and he was correct: my bite is close to perfect 9 weeks post-op. I'm grateful every day I didn't go with the first surgeon, who was in network: spent a lot less money with my out of network surgeon!
Dr. Arnett is one of the most prominent orthognathic surgeons in the country; if he says two jaws are needed, he's probably right.

samoorelaw

#5 Post by samoorelaw »

sirwired wrote:
samoorelaw wrote:Always go for a second consult. The first surgeon I considered told me I needed double jaw surgery but the second surgeon I went with said I needed only single jaw surgery and he was correct: my bite is close to perfect 9 weeks post-op. I'm grateful every day I didn't go with the first surgeon, who was in network: spent a lot less money with my out of network surgeon!
Dr. Arnett is one of the most prominent orthognathic surgeons in the country; if he says two jaws are needed, he's probably right.
That may be but a second consultation is always a wise idea.
Braces removed for 3rd and final time July 14, 2016!!!!

Permanent 8 crowns front 8 teeth (upper) January 30, 2015

Braces removed again December 3, 2014!!

Partial braces re-installation September 25, 2014

Braces removed September 4, 2014!

lexchomp

#6 Post by lexchomp »

Dr. Arnett is one of the best if he says double i agree its double. My surgeon told me a lot of surgeons cut corners and only do one and its aesthetic look is not the best so moving two can be better. but totally get a second opinion, I would just definitely trust what Arnett suggested.

Also only taking a week off is pushing it. I was overly ambitious of how I would be feeling thinking I also would be up to doing stuff at two weeks post-op and I was still so absolutely dizzy at week 2 still it was hard to get up and do much. Just an hour at the beach was so taxing. I was exhausted the rest of the day. Granted I was not doing the best at getting calories in the first two weeks but my doctors also told me I was healing super well and much faster than usual. So don't expect to be back to normal at 2 weeks. Also for speaking for your job I am at 5.5 weeks post op and still cannot speak clearly. You can understand me but some words are hard "m',"b', "R" words are all hard to sound normal on. My face is still numb so forming words with numb cheeks and lips make it hard to sound normal. You are about to get a huge portion of your skull taken apart and reassembled so it affects so much of your face be ready to take some time off and recover.

by week 3 I was feeling normal enough to do stuff but if I did not get enough calories It was hard to function I would feel terrible. Eating enough directly corresponds to how you would feel. It sounds easy enough but some days its hard to want to eat so it becomes a cycle. Feel free to PM me any questions