Surgeon shopping. Whom to consider and whom to skip?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

cutepathogen

Surgeon shopping. Whom to consider and whom to skip?

#1 Post by cutepathogen »

Been on braces for ~2.5yrs and I'm almost ready for a double-jaw + chin surgery. I saw Dr. Super in Manhattan a while back, and he provided his assessment of the case along with expected before-after images based on his calculations on Dolphin software (sp?). Estimated cost is about $41K. Will pay out of pocket.

I can travel anywhere on the mainland, but I prefer NYC, Boston and the New England area in general.

Any particular names you think I must consider? Also could you please tip me off to any active/closed malpractice cases, sanctions and/or board actions for names I should give a pass.

xoxo

boodles8

Re: Surgeon shopping. Whom to consider and whom to skip?

#2 Post by boodles8 »

Arnett and Gunson in California are two of the top in the country. They'll cost you more like $60k, though. I've also heard good things about Poznick (I think that's how to spell it) in Washington D. C..

I have no idea who to skip.
Boodles8

Braced July, 2012
BSSO August, 2013
Debraced October 2, 2014

sirwired

#3 Post by sirwired »

Well, if cost is no object (and it sounds like it isn't, if you can swing $41k out of pocket), then Arnett/Gunson in CA are universally reported to be great.

If cost is a consideration, I expect there are plenty of highly qualified surgeons that could to the work for a lot less than over $40k, even with the hospital bill included. I suggest looking around at the faculty of dental schools. Mine was done by a professor at UNC-CH (Dr. Blakey) for about $15k, single jaw. I can't imagine double-jaw would be that much more, as it doesn't generally take any extra time in the hospital.

nyc1002

#4 Post by nyc1002 »

Hey, I also met with Dr. Super and he quoted 12k per jaw. I'm considering him for a possible revision. I had double jaw surgery TWICE this year, and this would be my third and God willing last time. Did you decide on a surgeon?

JohnMetBetty

#5 Post by JohnMetBetty »

Hey NYC1002 - can I ask who you had your surgeries with?? I'm about to go for surgery in 2 1/2 weeks in NYC, if you can let me know who your surgeon is, it would be greatly appreciated!!

Hope it works out for you the third time! Horrible :(

lauriebeth

#6 Post by lauriebeth »

I used Dr. Eisig in NY. I had double jaw surgery in April and it came out well!

JohnMetBetty

#7 Post by JohnMetBetty »

I used Dr. Neugarten at NYCOMS in NYC, had double jaw surgery with genio on October 30th, went amazingly well! I couldn't be happier. This coming from a person who researched for almost 4 years before I made the jump!

BrooklynsOwn

#8 Post by BrooklynsOwn »

JohnMetBetty I am in NYC as well can you tell me who your surgeon is?