After Surgery: Canted Jaw!! Can only bite on ONE TOOTH

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

hydeus

After Surgery: Canted Jaw!! Can only bite on ONE TOOTH

#1 Post by hydeus »

Hello everyone, first post here...

So I had jaw surgery (maxillary impaction, mandibular advancement, and genioplasty) 3 months ago for sleep apnea. Since my bite was good to begin with, I opt for arch bars to hold my jaw together instead of getting braces. However, now my lower jaw is completely tilted to the side and I can only bite on my last tooth on the left side. This is a traumatic occlusion and I just want to know if anyone has had to redo the surgery. Is a canted mandible a frequent occurrence or should I consult legal advice?

Thanks all, I am extremely worried..

Nozzelnut

Re: After Surgery: Canted Jaw!! Can only bite on ONE TOOTH

#2 Post by Nozzelnut »

Some folks have needed revision surgeries; not all that common but it does happen. From what I've read, revision surgeries done in the "recovery period" are easier on the patient because the bones haven't fully healed.

FWIW I was following a blog and the patient (upper/lower braces and double jaw surgery) noticed a cant immediately after surgery. She talked to the surgeon that said everything was fine, talked to her ortho and he tried moving teeth with elastics; this went on for several months.

She went to Arnett and Gunson (iirc) in California for a second opinion and got a consult. During that consultation all the problems of the botched surgery and orthodontic after surgery care were uncovered. I'm not sure how her situation turned out; she removed her blog.

A couple options; talk to your original surgeon about your concerns and bad bite if you trust them to work on you again. But for me, I'd find another surgeon and orthodontist in your area and get a consult and second opinion with them.
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months
Night time elastics with invisalign retainers; still...
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15...
Orthodontics never really ends...
I'm emphatically against extraction orthodontics!

Anastasia8

Re: After Surgery: Canted Jaw!! Can only bite on ONE TOOTH

#3 Post by Anastasia8 »

You need to get a second opinion before you do anything else.