Surgery Date Nov 4- Double Jaw- Excited!

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

cvn

#211 Post by cvn »

Oh that's lame. I'm crossing my fingers to get mine off in August, before I get my ID badge pic taken for the next four years of my life haha

asmileconnectsus

#212 Post by asmileconnectsus »

so new concern that has been escalating this week...my right jaw joint is angry. harder to chew, when doing my exercises it hurts, and wearing my bands at night it really painful... calling the doctors tomorrow...WHAT IS GOING ON?! I'm frustrated. Nearly 6mo. out now, I just want to go one week without worrying about all of this. :? :cry:

charlsie142

#213 Post by charlsie142 »

So sorry to hear you're still having problems after nearly 6 months. :( Hopefully this is just some final adjusting that your jaw joint is doing and it will get better for you. Let us know what you find out tomorrow, and hope you feel better.
Four premolars extracted 12/29/2008
Braced 1/12/2009
Lefort I (upper jaw moved up 5mm) and BSSO (lower jaw lengthened by 7mm) on May 11, 2010

asmileconnectsus

#214 Post by asmileconnectsus »

sooo here's an update...yesterday I saw my ortho, she said everything looks excellent and we just need to 'get these things off' in reference to my braces. So on her end there is no cause for the pain. I talked with Dr. Gunson's office and through our discussion we decided that it must be the botox wearing off that is causing the pain and spasms. They are putting me on a new medication to take in combo with my other muscle relaxer. The new med is Gabitril a.k.a Tiagabine which is traditionally used as an anti-convulsant, but we're going to be using it for it's side effect of muscle relaxation. They think the combo of the the two along with icing & tissue massage, followed by heat will do the trick to calm my muscles down. So GOOD NEWS-braces and bite look great; BAD NEWS- TMJ muscles are still freaking out about being moved so much and do not know how to relax...this sure is a work in progress (and patience).

asmileconnectsus

#215 Post by asmileconnectsus »

6 MONTHSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so excited to be 6 months post-op!! It is amazing how much progress has been made...it does take a time and patience, but it has all be worth it! Posted a a new blog post with a timeline of pictures.... http://asmileconnectsus.blogspot.com/

cvn

#216 Post by cvn »

Your swelling went away soooooooo much faster than mine has been. Completely unfair! :x I'm 21 days and still look like a friggin ewok.

Congrats on 6 months! Braces almost done wooooooo

asmileconnectsus

#217 Post by asmileconnectsus »

okay soooo this new drug they have me on is helping me sleep, BUT it is not helping my TMJ spasms. I have been icing and doing a massage and heating, along with eating softer things, and nothing seems to calm them down....ANY TMJ-ers HAVE ANY TRICKS? I've been on this medicine for a week now, I just wish it "did the trick" to calm down my spasms...

Audra

#218 Post by Audra »

You might try taking a magnesium supplement as it is a natural muscle relaxant. Or check a health food store for a magnesium salts cream to rub on your face. I've used the magnesium salts cream for various things and it works pretty good.

cvn

#219 Post by cvn »

I had ultrasound and massage therapy on my joints after one of my surgeries and it helped (it also helped that the therapist was a rockin hot aussie). Maybe something to look into?

asmileconnectsus

#220 Post by asmileconnectsus »

Audra & cvn- thank you for the advice! I'll talk to my docs about adding magnesium to my supplement and drug regiment. As for the ultrasound and massage therapy, Dr. Gunson is adamant about no invasive massage or manipulation of the jaw muscles as it might change the alignment. They have told me I can do my own massage, but nothing with my physical therapist...BUT maybe he'll allow something since nothing else is working. I'll have to talk with him...

asmileconnectsus

#221 Post by asmileconnectsus »

new blog post...feeling frustrated with the muscle spasms today...BUT still really enjoying my new bite, and my joints are starting to feel better!

Thank you to everyone on the message board for your support! I know I am 6+ months post surgery, but I am still so grateful for the encouragement and posts on here!

asmileconnectsus

#222 Post by asmileconnectsus »

:D I get some brackets removed tomorrow!!! I'll let you all know how it goes! Also, new (short) blog post with update on muscle spasms and medication.

asmileconnectsus

#223 Post by asmileconnectsus »

Bracket removal went well last week, I've posted a picture of my few free teeth on my blog :)

I met with my ortho a couple days ago and I think I'll be getting more bands off by the end of June-Beginning of July! Whooohooo! Tomorrow is 7mo. post-op!

asmileconnectsus

Screwssss

#224 Post by asmileconnectsus »

:? So a question for all of those post op... how do your screws feel? are you even aware of them? Mine are starting to become a pain...not an infection, more like the nerves are over-reacting. Anyone have experience having the extracted?? Help!

Marisama

#225 Post by Marisama »

Mary,

I read your blog. Are you joints clicking and popping like they were before surgery? Is the pain muscular or are you having arthritic pain again? Your experience with Dr. Gunson is key in my decision on proceeding forward with orthognathic surgery. I really hope your joints settle down with your new bite. Even if the joints are still not perfect, or maybe never will be, is it still worth it to have a stable bite?