Contimplating Jaw Surgery and would love opinions- my PICS!

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Kerry

#31 Post by Kerry »

i get my surgery on the nhs and they have a mm because my overbite was 7 or so mm i warrant surgery. the normaly overbite should be about 2mm i think
Imagewisdom teeth removed under GA nov07 * Braced 8/2/08 * 2 premolars removed Apr08 * Adjustment 4 rebonding, 4 molar bands & new wire 4/7/08 * 31Jul wire change * 28 Aug last wire fitted and lower powerchain put on. 29th May moulds and x rays. 31st July Surgery date :-)

fromjersey

#32 Post by fromjersey »

Brendan: I wish you would reconsider. You're a good-looking guy and I don't see any good reason for you to subject yourself to surgery. Many people here have had not only esthetic imbalance but have had headaches, sleep apnea, speech problems, difficulty chewing, severe malocclusion with their teeth, open bites, TMJ problems, jaw pains, gummy smiles, shyness and lack of confidence. Much much more than cosmetics. Many functional issues. More than I mentioned.

Not that there isn't good reason to get surgery for cosmetic reasons. But I don't see that you had a bad profile to begin with. With your chin implant you have already given yourself a "stronger" jaw. I think you would look grotesque with any more jaw advancement.
Please do some more studying and reading on the subject of orthognathic surgery.
Helen

Rach

#33 Post by Rach »

Brendan,
I hope you are not seeing having jaw surgery as a 'quick fix', and especially after reading all the post-op stories on the extreme end. I have been fairly lucky in my recovery (My lower jaw was moved back about 8mm on either side) but I needed surgery in order to fix my underbite as I had some problems eating and got jaw pains and headaches from it, I also felt incredibly self conscious with people seeing me from the side-on. As others have already said, people get this surgery to fix problems they have. If you don't have any serious problems then I WOULDN'T do it - surgery could create problems that didn't exist before.
I know you probably feel like were all pushing a decision onto you and at the end of the day the decision is yours - just make sure you a 1000% sure of what it involves and the risks (which I am aware you are doing)
Personally I think you look absolutely fine as you are at the moment, but I wish you luck with whatever decision you decide to come to.
Rach
Feel free to take a look at my SurgeryBlog

etownmjc

Contemplating Jaw Surgery

#34 Post by etownmjc »

I was interested in engaging in this string of posts related to Brendan's jaw issue, but I can't see any of his pictures. His problem seems like it MIGHT be similar to mine. Why can't I see pictures?

Audra

#35 Post by Audra »

The site administrator does not allow full face pictures on any of these boards, so I am assuming she removed them.

Arvensis

#36 Post by Arvensis »

More likely he removed them himself because none of us agreed that he required jaw surgery for his perfect bite to "masculinize" his lower jaw. I haven't noticed anyone's posts with pictures being edited or deleted and mine are still up.
[8 Months, 4 days with Braces]
Braces off 4/17/2008 - Rockstar!

Before and After.

Audra

#37 Post by Audra »

Ah yes, that makes a lot of sense. I wish I could have seen his pics. It was intriguing to read through the thread, but not be able to see what all you had seen.... :lol: