Sliding Genioplasty w/ PICS... Recommendation plz

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

fromjersey

#31 Post by fromjersey »

Nightfox: How did you do after your surgery with Dr. Cohen April 2? Haven't heard from you.
Helen

archangel689

#32 Post by archangel689 »

I really think you should consult a Maxillofacial surgeon first if there are functional issues, then consult the plastic surgeon afterward upon determination that there are no functional issues.

I suppose it doesn't really matter if the surgeons experience and skill level is really high.

Also, I wouldn't go looking for "the best surgeon" by looking at fancy websites.

In my opinion, the "best" surgeons don't really have websites nor do they need to advertise because their schedule is packed completely full, they are doing surgery or teaching and don't need to advertise. I'd also look for the guy the hospital calls when someone comes in with a smashed jaw from a car accident.

lebron85

hey

#33 Post by lebron85 »

Very curious to know how Nightfox went with everything? He seems to have dropped off the map.

lisab28

#34 Post by lisab28 »

he didnt like the way it looked made his face look too long. he didnt get my warning in time. he ended up getting it reversed.

lisab28

#35 Post by lisab28 »

nosejob turned out good though pretty natural looking

aussieboy24

#36 Post by aussieboy24 »

I'm a newcomer been reading these postings.
Here's my story.. Basically I currently got braces on as the starting process to correct my bite (I have an overbite.)

I'm 24 male Aussie.

The time is approaching to get my surgery on my jaw.
I'm getting ortho something surgery (forget it's name), but basically my teeth are not meeting together in the place they should.

The bottom row are about 5-6mm back of the top row.
I"m getting the surgery in my jaw, the bone cut and the jaw moved forward so that the teeth meet correctly so that I have no overbite.

After reading Lisa's postings now I'm scared...
I'm not going to a plastic surgeon (I'm in Australia btw), I'm going to an oral surgeon that does maxillo facial surgery of the mouth/jaw.

He said to me that the sliding genioplasty he could do on me as well as the jaw surgery is optional, it's not necessary because he only needs advance the jaw as much as needed to make my teeth meeth correctly to fix my bite.

The genioplasty would be purely cosmetic and he said he wouldn't advance it any more than 4mm. He explained it advances it forward and downward.

I've had a chin implant before which I had taken out and it was around 10mm large and that looked fine when it was in so I've already sorta got an idea from that of how it would look.

What I'm worried about after reading lisa's postings is that I'll get some huge-ass lantern jaw like Jocyelyn Wildenstein.

This oral surgeon is very well known in Sydney and operated on my friend who also had an overbite and his jaw looks really good now not unnatural at all, and not too long, although he got just the jaw surgery not the chin advancement.

After reading all these postings it seems that these people got really huge genioplasties done (8mm+) which lengthened the face, but really perhaps what they needed was one small jaw surgery and one small genioplasty so that the face didn't come out so long so they had the forward projection from the jaw surgery they wanted without the long face...

Correct me if I'm wrong.