How do people come up with the money (just curious)?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

cocomi

Re: How do people come up with the money (just curious)?

#31 Post by cocomi »

[quote="CaliforniaKid"][quote="Lauralee"]I guess I'm just thinking of the "surgical planning cost" its about $6,000 for mine. Which is alott i think.[/quote]

LOL. mine was over 50k. america ftw. 6,000 geez, that wouldn't even cover the operating room time.[/quote]

Hi, I'm from America too-- but in the NYC area :cry:
Were you quoted 50k for the surgery (including hospital room, etc??)

I JUST had an orthodontist consultation today who suggested surgery-- which I am deathly terrified by (also I'm scared to even find out the price!!)

cocomi

#32 Post by cocomi »

[quote="CaliforniaKid"][quote="jimmyjackson"]Thanks for the replies.

CaliforniaKid: 40k (surgeon) + 10K (OR) + additional fee for days spend in the hospital = ??

Bloomquist was asking 15k for EVERYTHING. Of course, he doesn't have any before/after pictures online anywhere and I'm not sure how modern his approach is to the procedure. He seemed much more knowledgeable than the surgeon I met with in San Francisco though.

Something like 60-80K is just not really possible for me. I'm going to have to hope for insurance coverage or bust if that's the case.[/quote]

i honestly think you'll be fine. one question to ask is how many jaw surgeries he/she does in a year. surgeon fees and all his assistants is ballpark 40 (double jaw surgery). you have to stay one day in the hospital mandatory as part of the procedure. the 9-10k covers that. if you have to stay an extra day most insurance carries cover that. if not they'll just bill you but what can ya do.[/quote]

Never mind my previous post! Didn't see you already answered it before!

TheNewJenn40

#33 Post by TheNewJenn40 »

Does anyone know if surgery would be covered through insurance if having an under bite has caused TMJ?

CaliforniaKid

#34 Post by CaliforniaKid »

TheNewJenn40 wrote:Does anyone know if surgery would be covered through insurance if having an under bite has caused TMJ?
depends on the insurance and how militant your surgeon's insurance rep is. insurance companies are cutting down on orthognathic surgery because it is becoming more common yet the costs remain quite high. my insurance basically said if my jaw is functional - and their litmus test for functional is eating and breathing (even if my airway is more than 50% closed off) then i would not be approved. and that's exactly what happened. they didn't care about my TMJ/muscle spasms.

oimysizex

#35 Post by oimysizex »

I'm from the UK and all my treatment is covered so I don't have to pay a thing so in a way I'm very very lucky.

Been in braces foreverrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

andyroo

#36 Post by andyroo »

Does anyone know if there is some kind of insurance for this in the UK? I'm too old for NHS freebies unfortunately!