Surgery Date Nov 4- Double Jaw- Excited!

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

asmileconnectsus

#46 Post by asmileconnectsus »

yes one side was longer...I believe my left side. I did have a cant...I think they measure this by having you hold a ruler in your mouth...yeah that was nearly impossible for me pre-op, I was off by a couple mm there too. I can't even tell you how much my new bite makes me happy when I look at it! The teeth fit perfectly, the feeling of stability is incredible! It makes me so happy I had this all done!

Marisama

#47 Post by Marisama »

I cannot even imagine what it feels like to have all my teeth touch and to have the "perfect bite"! I am so excited to start my journey of orthognathic surgery! Thank you so much for your help. I will probably have many more questions in the near future.

asmileconnectsus

#48 Post by asmileconnectsus »

Keep the questions coming! I love being able to help!! I hope that my blog does answer some questions too.

I am having this problem with my right ear. Because they had to rotate my jaw I guess my right ear tube has not caught up with everything and is causing me pain and is water logged....anyone else have this problem or have advice?!?! please?! It is so aggravating! My doctors office says it will just "work itself out in time"....I am hoping there is something I can do to help it out...so please suggestions!!?

AF104

#49 Post by AF104 »

A follow-up with the ENT who inserted the tube would be a good idea.

asmileconnectsus

#50 Post by asmileconnectsus »

it's just my natural ear canal...i guess tube wasn't the correct term...just my ear canal...

AF104

#51 Post by AF104 »

Well, maybe a first visit with an ENT would be worthwhile then. How are you getting water into your ear canal? Are you regurgitating fluid up into the nasal cavity?

asmileconnectsus

#52 Post by asmileconnectsus »

I have had fluid in there since surgery, so it could very well be from my nasal cavity.

It's crazy, I just took a nap and I think it is better...I heard a couple pops...and it really is better...i hope it stays! thanks for the advice AF104, it is appreciated.

AF104

#53 Post by AF104 »

You're welcome! I refluxed fluid into the nasal cavity for about two months post-op. I never had ear issues though. Hopefully, as the throat muscles heal and become stronger they'll do a better job of blocking off the nasal cavity(as they're supposed to) while swallowing.

soccerchic11

#54 Post by soccerchic11 »

:) ....you look great. it doesnt look like you had cheek implants though........

asmileconnectsus

#55 Post by asmileconnectsus »

Thank you!

I know! I'm happy about that actually! It means they did them just the right size! If I didn't have anything done then because of how far they moved everything forward I really would have a concave face.

To do the implants they use a putty like substance that will harden over time. They form the putty over the existing cheek bone. I'm really happy with how they came out! I was a bit worried they would look fake or overdone.

soccerchic11

#56 Post by soccerchic11 »

:o :o ....did you get to choose the implant sizes too? and what is a concave face? :P :P :P...

:wink:

asmileconnectsus

#57 Post by asmileconnectsus »

I did not directly choose the size of my implants. i trusted my doctors to make the best aesthetic decision for me, however, I did see a projection of what I would potentially look like post-op, so i guess if i didn't like how the cheep implants looks I could have said something.

Concave meaning that my upper and lower jaw would be protruding so far forward that my eyes would look sunken in, the cheek implants balance this out.

soccerchic11

.......oh i see....................

#58 Post by soccerchic11 »

:) haha ok. i was just asking because i will be getting implants with my surgery too. i also see your face is oily in some of your photos and not others. does the surgery make it that way because i reallly dont want it to be oily, i would hate that LOL........... :!:

but you look great, you are starting to glow........ :oops:

asmileconnectsus

#59 Post by asmileconnectsus »

yes my face did get oily from the surgery. It is your body's way of protecting itself against all of the swelling and stretching of the skin. The oiliness really didn't/doesn't bother me. I would rather have it than not. If I didn't have it then i would have had dry, flaky, red skin...at least that's how I know my body would react...everyone is different so you may not get oily skin.

projo198

#60 Post by projo198 »

asmileconnectsus wrote:yes my face did get oily from the surgery. It is your body's way of protecting itself against all of the swelling and stretching of the skin. The oiliness really didn't/doesn't bother me. I would rather have it than not. If I didn't have it then i would have had dry, flaky, red skin...at least that's how I know my body would react...everyone is different so you may not get oily skin.
Good to hear your doing well; regarding the cheekbones I had mine cut and advanced and not implants. Kind of wish he HAD used implants though, sounds like it might have sped up my recovery time!