Contimplating Jaw Surgery and would love opinions- my PICS!

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

brendan

Contimplating Jaw Surgery and would love opinions- my PICS!

#1 Post by brendan »

Hey whats up everyone!

I believe I have a recessed lower and probably upper jaw. I already had braces for a few years when I was younger so my bite and teeth are cool, but I feel like my recessed jaw gives me a non-masculine look that I would look to achieve.

I have included my pics which you can find

My questions are:

1. Do you agree that jaw surgery can address this issue?

2. How long do you anticipate i will wear braces? My bite and teeth are strait, so I was hoping not 'that' long. Is 6 months prior to surgery and 6 months after a good estimate?

Anyway, I appreciate any and ALL comments!!!!

Thanks again!
-brendan
Last edited by brendan on Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kerry

#2 Post by Kerry »

Hi it sounds like your previous ortho may have covered up the problem and very well he did because i think you look fine but if you feel that you want this done then go for it.

I would have thought you will be in braces just as long as anyone else 1-2 yrs because if you move your jaw now your teeth will be well out but then again im not a expert i have only started my journey recently.

I hope you get some better answers to your questions from other people on here.

kerry
Imagewisdom teeth removed under GA nov07 * Braced 8/2/08 * 2 premolars removed Apr08 * Adjustment 4 rebonding, 4 molar bands & new wire 4/7/08 * 31Jul wire change * 28 Aug last wire fitted and lower powerchain put on. 29th May moulds and x rays. 31st July Surgery date :-)

ema27

#3 Post by ema27 »

Hi brendan -welcome....first off getting braces is a personal thing only you can decide but for what its worth i will give you my opinion....I am in my late twenties,married with 3 ankle biters in tow...i am having lower jaw surgery later this year to bring the jaw forward so my teeth finally meet.i have found the whole process hassle free so far after 15 months.I Think it depends on your confidence level if this will affect your personal/social life.personally i have found i still go out have fun but i always feel oh im wearing braces.not all the time only in clubs etc..No ones ever commented though.. :D
Again like kerry im no expert but i would have thought youd need at least a year in braces before surgery as all your teeth will move.im sure if im wrong someone will correct me...
good luck with whatever happens...

loulou123

#4 Post by loulou123 »

Hi Brendan, this is just my own personal opinion and the final decision has to be up to you.

Is your bite causing you any problems eating or causing you pain or anything? If not then to be honest in your position i wouldnt have the surgery just for cosmetic reasons. (Ive had lots of problems post op, which in fairness dont happen to the majority of people, but think that right now if id gone through all this for cosmetic reasons alone, id be pretty anoyed with myself.)

Thats just my opinion tho, in answer to your questions:

1) In sure surgery can make some improvement

2) Cant say about the length of time in braces, it varies incredibly.

3) Only you can decide that, the braces part have been fine for me, im 28 by the way. But since the surgery ive had lots of swelling on one side, so dont count on being more attractive for a while! :lol:

If youve any questions please ask me, and you can click on my blog link at the botom of this post for my whole story if your interested.

Braces on 11th June 2006,~ BSSO and Wisdom tooth removal 11th February 2008,~ Plate Removal 14th May 2008,~ Braces off 28th August 2008.

http://adultwithbraces.blogspot.com/

cersepn

#5 Post by cersepn »

hey man
your 'recession' is REALLY mild.. i had to look 3 times to 'spot it'
it kinda gives you a cute boyish look, which i think is attractive

jutting out your jaw is not a good idea of what to expect actually, ask anyone who's been there and done that.
the result is totally different, most of the time it's for the better

i wish i had your kind of lower face features. i have a masculine chin and i don't like it. =\

phil

#6 Post by phil »

Hi Brendan.

I think you look great. In my opinion, you have no reason to put yourself at risk with an elective surgery. If your bite is functional, I think you should leave well enough alone!

And, in my opinion, the position of your jaw in the first six pictures is much more pleasing than that of the last four.

Go out and enjoy life! You're 21, with a great life ahead of you. Don't spend another second thinking about your jaw.

Have a great day!

:D
There are no ordinary moments.
Check out my blog! http://pcadams.wordpress.com/

suetemi

#7 Post by suetemi »

I agree, it's very mild. Do you actually prefer the "masculine" look on yourself, or do you want it because you think people will find you more attractive that way? I think the last pics with the jutted jaw makes you look mean and angry, no offense. In the first pics you look nicer and more approachable.

If it's still bothering you, you could consult with an oral surgeon and they'll take your pics and show you on digital imaging an idea of what you would look like after surgery. However, if your bite is functional, it's a lot to put yourself through (in terms of pain, discomfort, money) for a very very subtle aesthetic change. Good luck.

jjames

#8 Post by jjames »

Hi Brendan,
You did say that you believed implants would just "cover up" the underlying problem, what EXACTLY is the underlying problem you mean, just that your jaw isn't strong enough? Seriously, none of are "experts" but I tend to agree with all the previous posts, if you want to do this - keep in mind it's a buttload of pain and expense if you are not really having bite problems. You might, and I mean might, get out of braces quickly, a year or a year and a half, so much depends. And it's really, really hard to tell what's going on exactly without good pitcture of your teeth with your bite closed and open. Right now everybody is just kinda guessing what your teeth look like underneath your skin.

Look I know you know this surgery is no joke, but seriously, it's no joke. The possible permanent numbness, the pain, the recovery, the money, the risk, I would just be sure I had some dental professionals, and I mean SEVERAL telling me this was definitely the way to go for reasons other than asthetics. I think we all agree - you look great, and I think most all of us would agree that jutting your jaw foward really does NOT give you a good idea or picture of what you'll look like after this surgery. I know you said you're not really hot about the idea of implants, but if if the more masculine jaw is truly what you want, I'd look again at it vs. the surgery.

But again, I'm certainly not telling you it's a bad idea, I'm just saying think hard, hard about it from the standpoint of someone who has done it. Also, I'm pretty sure about everyone on this board had at least two reccomendations for this surgery before they did it - I know I got four different opinions and the only other option to straighten my teeth was pulling four healthy ones and I just couldn't see it.

Good luck with whatever you decide!!!

Emaciated

#9 Post by Emaciated »

1. Yes, surgery could fix the issue you're describing.

2. You will likely be in braces 2-years as from what I was told it takes about that long for teeth to become loose, move, then reset regardless of how much movement is needed.

3. Do I think its worth it? Personally, I think you're crazy. Have you read any of these peoples' blogs? You're willing to put yourself through that hell to gain a slightly more masculine jaw?

You're a good-looking guy, your teeth are straight and your bite works well. You look great in the top photos. In the bottom photos you look like me before having corrective surgery to fix that problem.

I'm sorry to be forward but these other posters are being a little too PC for me. I live in Holywood so have a very low tolerance for elective surgery when its absolutely not needed. To me, you getting corrective jaw surgery is the equivilent to a woman with a perfect bust having implants because she doesn't think they're big enough. Or a person who is a healthy weight getting lypo because they want a waist-line 1-inch smaller.

You're at a great age, you don't want to have to deal with that whole mess right now. If you want to feel more masculine, use your surgery money to go sign up for boxing lessons or buy a motorcycle. :D

brendan

#10 Post by brendan »

edited
Last edited by brendan on Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Arvensis

#11 Post by Arvensis »

I have to agree with everyone who said you're nutzo for considering elective surgery for something so minor. Before surgery, I couldn't even chew macaroni and cheese, just swallowed it whole, because my bite was so bad. If your bite is good and chewing is fine, I frankly think it'd be malpractice for a legitimate oral surgeon to mess with your bite and jaws just for purely cosmetic reasons. Your bite looks PERFECT. Seriously?

Yes, the risks may be rather low, but there are STILL RISKS. It's MAJOR surgery, let me stress the MAJOR. Some people spend two or more days in the hospital after jaw surgery - I spent two nights, and didn't really move for the first week. I can't imagine doing this just for the hell of it or to look better, and I fully am aware that I wasn't the most attractive person before - so what?

Seriously, go spend the 40K on a sports car or something. You're 21; wait 5 years and see if it still bothers you, or till you can see the value of what you're spending money on for some cosmetic purpose. DON"T DO IT if it's just cosmetic. I would NEVER have put myself through this time, annoyance, pain, or expense, if I could already chew and function normally.
[8 Months, 4 days with Braces]
Braces off 4/17/2008 - Rockstar!

Before and After.

brendan

#12 Post by brendan »

Arvensis wrote:I have to agree with everyone who said you're nutzo for considering elective surgery for something so minor. Before surgery, I couldn't even chew macaroni and cheese, just swallowed it whole, because my bite was so bad. If your bite is good and chewing is fine, I frankly think it'd be malpractice for a legitimate oral surgeon to mess with your bite and jaws just for purely cosmetic reasons. Your bite looks PERFECT. Seriously?

Yes, the risks may be rather low, but there are STILL RISKS. It's MAJOR surgery, let me stress the MAJOR. Some people spend two or more days in the hospital after jaw surgery - I spent two nights, and didn't really move for the first week. I can't imagine doing this just for the hell of it or to look better, and I fully am aware that I wasn't the most attractive person before - so what?

Seriously, go spend the 40K on a sports car or something. You're 21; wait 5 years and see if it still bothers you, or till you can see the value of what you're spending money on for some cosmetic purpose. DON"T DO IT if it's just cosmetic. I would NEVER have put myself through this time, annoyance, pain, or expense, if I could already chew and function normally.

The thing is this:

If i dont get the orthognathic surgery.. and i get jaw implants or something else, than i cant go back and then get the ortho later.

I have to make my decision :(

Im tough and have a high pain threshold, being in the hospital for 2 days dosnt bother me at all. I know it will be a pain in the ass not eating right for 4-5 months, but its worth it to me to look better in the end.

I dont know if that makes sense :(

phil

#13 Post by phil »

Brendan, please hear me out, and believe that rarely do I express my opinion so forcefully to anyone about anything.

DON'T DO IT. Do you really think there's something wrong with your face? You're a handsome fellow with a great bite and beautfiul teeth. Why do you want to subject yourself to the risk of orthognathic surgery that you absolutely don't need? It boggles the mind.

I wish I had your bite.

Sorry if I offend, but if you go through with this, I think you're nuts. And, in my opinion, any surgeon/ortho team that would encourage it is acting in an irresponsible if not unethical manner. That's just my opinion, for what it's worth.

Several of us have had horrible complications with our surgeries. Prior to my first surgery, my bite was a total mess--worse than you could possibly imagine. And yet, had I known what I was going to face, I would have gladly lived with it for the rest of my life. At this point, I will be turning cartwheels if I can ever chew a steak again, and nobody ever dreamed (my surgeon, ortho, ME) that what happened to me would happen to me.

Please listen to the voice of reason, and cast aside the impetuousness of youth. I agree with other comments--spend the money on a Harley or a sportscar--or better yet, donate it to poor children in third world countries born with horrible facial abnormalities, who can't even eat. But please, don't go through with this surgery.
There are no ordinary moments.
Check out my blog! http://pcadams.wordpress.com/

skyhawk

#14 Post by skyhawk »

Add me to the list of people that don't see a problem with your current facial profile. You look fine.

If this is ultimately about getting tail (nothing wrong with that), I would say your current profile will probably serve you just fine, or rather, a more pronounced jaw wouldn't improve your chances.

Why put yourself through surgery?

ohmyjaw

#15 Post by ohmyjaw »

Hi Brendan, I just have to agree with the others - you look great the way you are. The pictures of you sticking you lower jaw forward don't look as good. That is actually how I looked before I had surgery - I had a bit of an underbite and my chin looked just like that. Now I look more like the top pictures - the ones you don't like. Of course, I am a girl, so having a "masculine" chin is not that desirable, but still I think you should just stick with what you have. It's working just fine, trust me. You are an attractive guy.