Surgery Date Nov 4- Double Jaw- Excited!

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

asmileconnectsus

Surgery Date Nov 4- Double Jaw- Excited!

#1 Post by asmileconnectsus »

Hi All! This is my first post on this site, although, like many others I have been "lurking" for many months now. I am going in for surgery on November 4th. I am having LeFort I, BSSO, & cheek implants. I have been waiting over 3 years (been going to the ortho for 19yrs) to have this surgery and am very excited to finally have it done! I am 24 yrs old. I live in Vermont and am having surgery with Dr. Gunson in Santa Barbara, CA.

I started a blog last month http://asmileconnectsus.blogspot.com and have found great comfort in venting and sharing my experiences there! It has also been really great for informing my family and friends on my "situation."

Some key problems with my alignment/structure/joints are: asymmetry, arthritic joints, class III bite...I have been through the gamut. In this year alone I have had cysts removed from my inner lips, an implant done, teeth reconstruction, in and out (and back in again) of splint therapy, gingivectomy, and have been on many prescription drugs, supplements, and hormone therapy all for my jaw & joint health. I am in braces for the second time now, which I actually find to be better than the first. My case has been discussed at national conventions for it complexity- which is both exciting and nerve wracking!

Now that I am only 8 days from surgery I feel very excited! I am no longer nervous, just anxious to get it over with! I have been waiting for so long for this surgery that I just need it to happen, I'm sure many of you can sympathize!

I have 100% trust in my surgeon and my whole "team" of doctors and orthodontist who have helped me through this whole process. After reading many post on this site I realize I am very lucky!

Sorry for the semi-long post, but I guess I am just very excited to be finally heading toward the other side, and would love to give/get support from fellow jaw sufferers. I hope if you take a look at my blog you are able to find some sort of comfort :)

trish222

#2 Post by trish222 »

hello asmileconnectus,

Good luck on the 4th you will be in my prayers. It is quite an exciting time. I didn't find this site until 8 weeks post-op. It has been a life line for so many reasons. Just remember, even if you face obstacles, they are all temporary. At almost 15 weeks post-op I am just feeling excited at the results. I find myself staring at teeth and new jaw constantly. It is a tough journey but one definately worth taking!

Marisama

#3 Post by Marisama »

Hi Mary,

This is Ryan. You emailed me about your blog. Good luck with surgery! Dr. Gunson is the best and I'm sure you'll be much more comfortable once you've recovered. I would love to see pictures as you recover and see how your bite fits post-surgery.

Ryan

asmileconnectsus

#4 Post by asmileconnectsus »

Thank you for the well wishes and encouragement Trish! I think patients will be key post surgery, more so than before surgery?

Hi Ryan! Dr. Gunson is pretty great! I will be sure to post pictures on my blog (probably daily, as I'll be stuck in the hotel out in Santa Barbara)! Thank you so much for getting in touch with me! Have you heard anything about when your date might be? March did you say? Do you know how much movement you're going to have? The projections at my initial consult was 8mm forward on the top and 12mm forward on the bottom...the cheek implants are to prevent the concave look in my face.

I need some quick tricks for staying healthy this last week, I am surrounded by friends/co-workers/family members with cold/flu sicknesses...

projo198

#5 Post by projo198 »

Tons of vitamin C, and eat eat eat! I'm 5 weeks post op and wish I had pigged out a little more than I did.

Good luck, best advise I can give you is during the first 2-3 days after your gonna regret it, just pull through and things will look better for you, ok?

asmileconnectsus

#6 Post by asmileconnectsus »

Thanks for the advice projo198! I have packed on about 15lbs in anticipation of loosing weight. I have a very high metabolism so I know I'm going to loose more weight than the average person.

Today I got a sore throat...I am nursing it with tea, water, sleep, vit. c/d/b, and colostrum. I sure hope it doesn't turn into a real cold/flu because then I'll have to postpone my surgery...I'm really worried, but trying not to stress. Staying positive is key, but it's hard right now...

marycotter5678

#7 Post by marycotter5678 »

Good luck on your surgery. It must be exciting to have ha such a long journey and know that you are coming to the end result so soon =)

Double-Jaw Surgery: Lefort I & BSSO (May 4, 2010)

OzzysMom

#8 Post by OzzysMom »

I also packed on 15 lbs prior to surgery as I also knew I would lose more than the average person. I ended up losing 20 lbs.
Best wishes on your surgery and don't forget to eat something really yummy the day before!
October 8, 2008 Lefort1(6mm impaction), BSSO, Genioplasty, Turbinectomies, Partial septoplasty, gum recontoring

asmileconnectsus

#9 Post by asmileconnectsus »

So, I've just finished packing my bags for surgery! I fly out tomorrow at noon for Santa Barbara...it's going to be about a 13hr travel day...I have that nagging feeling I'm forgetting something, but everything on my list is checked off...I can't believe it's finally time to go!! I'm so excited, not yet nervous or scared...

Today I had my final blood tests done. They poked right through my vein so I have an bruise and a bit of swelling in my left arm...I also had my final appointment with my Osteopath. I feel really great about this surgery and have so much faith in my team of doctors, and I know boyfriend, family, and friends are all supporting me 100%.

Any last words of advise from surgery veterans?

charlsie142

#10 Post by charlsie142 »

I'm no veteran, but I wanted to wish you luck and hope you have a speedy recovery! Keep us lurkers updated. ;)

asmileconnectsus

Surgery Time Changed!

#11 Post by asmileconnectsus »

:lol: So I just got back from my pre-op morning appt with Dr.G and my surgery time has been moved up from 12 to 6 :) I feel bad for the person who had their surgery canceled, but I'm so excited not to have to wait half the day on Wednesday to get to the hospital! Final Records (Molds/X-Rays/Impressions/Pictures) all went well...now I'm going back in about an hour for my Final Consult...phew! So Close now!

asmileconnectsus

Surgery Time Changed!

#12 Post by asmileconnectsus »

:lol: So I just got back from my pre-op morning appt with Dr.G and my surgery time has been moved up from 12 to 6 :) I feel bad for the person who had their surgery canceled, but I'm so excited not to have to wait half the day on Wednesday to get to the hospital! Final Records (Molds/X-Rays/Impressions/Pictures) all went well...now I'm going back in about an hour for my Final Consult...phew! So Close now!

Jane

#13 Post by Jane »

Many, many good wishes for your surgery - so glad your finally getting your surgery after such a long journey - take care and God bless. Jane xx

SuperJet

#14 Post by SuperJet »

asmileconnectsus, Good luck with your surgery. Like its been said, the first 2 - 3 days you will be in a lil pain but it will get better. My surgery was well worth it, the only thing I was not aware of was the numbness in my chin due to the Gieno. Numbness will go away after a while.

Good luck and God Bless!! We will be waiting to hear from you on the other side.

Mick
Braces since May of 07
Lower Jaw advancement Surgery Oct 1!!

OhioM

#15 Post by OhioM »

Good luck - I'll be thinking about you and wishing you the best of recoveries! Let us know how it goes!
Recovering from Lefort 1 (5.5 mm impaction) with genio (6 mm) 1/20/10