Discouraging Consultation

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

margan

Discouraging Consultation

#1 Post by margan »

I met with maxiofacial doc at Kaiser today who said that surgery is only performed on people who can barely open their mouths. Does anyone know where this is coming from? Severe tmj, overbite, and other problems only worsen. He wanted to give me a shot of steroids or botox right then and there an prescribed muscle relaxants. Drugs and shots!

OzzysMom

#2 Post by OzzysMom »

You need another consultation!!!

Don't get discouraged. I was first told that all I needed was a chin implant...LMAO just look at my before pics...some doctors are idiots.
October 8, 2008 Lefort1(6mm impaction), BSSO, Genioplasty, Turbinectomies, Partial septoplasty, gum recontoring

asmileconnectsus

#3 Post by asmileconnectsus »

I agree, get a second consult!!! Surgery certainly isn't only for those who can barely open their mouths

margan

re discouraging consultation/doctor recs LA?

#4 Post by margan »

Thank you both for the encouragment. It really helps.

I took the muscle relaxer last night since it was Friday and don't have to work Saturday. Good thing because the effects of that little pill are extremely lingering. I't's almost 1 pm and I'm stll woosy from it. That the solution to my bite problems is stuffing me with debilitating pills and shots is apalling.

I did make apt with UCLA for consult.

If I can get the surgery done, looks like it will be out of pocket.

Does anyone know of good docs in the L.A area?

Thanks

LAJaw

#5 Post by LAJaw »

Just curious, but which LA Kaiser surgeon did you consult with?

asmileconnectsus

#6 Post by asmileconnectsus »

margan- I had my surgery with Dr.'s Gunson & Arnett in Santa Barbara...he and his team are amazing! They are expensive, but it would be worth a consult!

margan

consultation

#7 Post by margan »

I consulted with Dr. Yafai. As far as I know, there is nobody else with LA Kaiser.

I appreciate the Gunson and Arnett recccomendations. That's a bit of a trip for me but considering the severity of the undertaking, well worth it.

asmileconnectsus

#8 Post by asmileconnectsus »

I traveled all the way from Vermont to see them, it was worth it 100%!!! I have a blog about my experience http://asmileconnectsus.blogspot.com

ReoSity

#9 Post by ReoSity »

asmileconnectsus wrote:I traveled all the way from Vermont to see them, it was worth it 100%!!! I have a blog about my experience http://asmileconnectsus.blogspot.com
I just went through your blog and your results look great! How much was the consult roughly if you don't mind me asking?

dvdrdiscs

Re: consultation

#10 Post by dvdrdiscs »

margan wrote:I consulted with Dr. Yafai. As far as I know, there is nobody else with LA Kaiser.

I appreciate the Gunson and Arnett recccomendations. That's a bit of a trip for me but considering the severity of the undertaking, well worth it.

The oral surgeon that my ortho uses is Harry Schwartz. He is based in Los Angeles, a professor at UCLA, and is head of the head and neck surgery department for Kaiser in LA. Try him? I haven't met with him yet but I'm hoping he's a lot more liberal in approving me for surgery!

cvn

#11 Post by cvn »

ReoSity wrote:
asmileconnectsus wrote:I traveled all the way from Vermont to see them, it was worth it 100%!!! I have a blog about my experience http://asmileconnectsus.blogspot.com
I just went through your blog and your results look great! How much was the consult roughly if you don't mind me asking?
The consult fee for A&G is $550.

asmileconnectsus

#12 Post by asmileconnectsus »

Thanks ReoSity! Yes, just like CVN said the consult was $550, and the most in depth, comprehensive consult you can have. It is amazing the time and concern they put toward each patient...x-rays, pictures, measurements, proposed treatment plans...I remember feeling nervous after the appointment just because of all the changes I needed done, but I was encourage my their confidence and desire to give me the best outcome possible.

almost50

#13 Post by almost50 »

I'm shocked by this.

I would really try to see if you can get a consult with a different Kaiser surgeon. There has to be more than one in all of LA. Maybe ask your orthodontist if he would be willing to help you out or talk to the surgeon on your behalf. Does he/she have any relationship with any of the Kaiser surgeons. When I went in for my ortho consult before braces my orthodontist knew the doctors at Kaiser.

I wouldn't so quickly close the door on Kaiser. If you can get it approved with them life will be so much easier (and cheaper).

queenofoverbite

#14 Post by queenofoverbite »

Dont listen to them- shot pills are not the option.
Be wary of anything that seems like a bandaid to the larger problem.
BSSO in Fall 2010!

margan

consultation

#15 Post by margan »

dvdrdiscs--could you mention if you have been aproved by Dr. Schwartz in L.A.? Thanks. I'm going to see the ortho before I try to convince Kaiser to help.

I am stunned too by the reponse to my problem. When I asked the doc if I would have to be on muscle relaxants and pills for the rest of my life, he just said that those measures relieved pain. The structural defects with my jaw will only get worse. (I am embarrassed to admit that I eat very very slowly because I dribble now, which I hadn't a year ago. I dread pronouncing -s.)

I have an appointment at UCLA this week; hopefully, I will get better advice than numb the problem.