Arnett or Gunson in Santa Barbara?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

CaliforniaKid

Arnett or Gunson in Santa Barbara?

#1 Post by CaliforniaKid »

I've decided to go with Arnett/Gunson for surgery, but I've been told the doctor you consult with is the one that does your procedure.

Now I'm sure they're both great but I don't know who to go with.

Arnett and Gunson are published in the same books, same magazines, and I can't find any real data to compare their performance with each other.

Any experiences here?

ColoradoGirl

#2 Post by ColoradoGirl »

Hi CaliforniaKid,

First, I think they're both great; it just depends on what specifically you're looking for in your overall experience. I'm having my surgery with Dr. Gunson on October 6, and I've met both doctors but interacted much more with Dr. G.

Both doctors are (as you know) well-respected and know what they're doing. Dr. Arnett has more years of experience, and is the head of the practice. He does more teaching/lecture work, and could probably be said to be more prestigious. Dr. Gunson is somewhat younger and therefore has somewhat less experience, but he's equally qualified and has published widely. He teaches, too, but less than Dr. A.

So, it's harder to get a slot with Dr. Arnett because he travels so much and is so well-known. I think how it basically works is that the surgeon you see will do all the measurments, come up with a treatment plan, and do the majority of the work during the surgery itself. But, I was told that both surgeons will be in the OR during my surgery; in my case, Dr. Gunson will be the lead and Dr. Arnett the assistant. This means, essentially, that if something should go wrong or present a difficulty, both surgeons will be on hand to figure out the problem.

As for "bedside manner"--I only spoke briefly with Dr. Arnett, but was impressed by him. I was equally impressed by Dr. Gunson, who I spent much more time with. He's a very nice guy, and he's clearly concerned about his patients' questions, concerns, and well-being. He listened carefully to everything I said, and took plenty of time to make sure I understood and was comfortable with what he was suggesting. He's also quite personable, friendly, and respectful.

If you're really having trouble deciding who to have the initial consult with, I'd suggest talking with one of the assistants: they're great, and could probably give you a clearer picture of the differences between the two than I can.

Anyway, my two cents. Hope that's helpful. :)

CaliforniaKid

#3 Post by CaliforniaKid »

ColoradoGirl wrote:Hi CaliforniaKid,

First, I think they're both great; it just depends on what specifically you're looking for in your overall experience. I'm having my surgery with Dr. Gunson on October 6, and I've met both doctors but interacted much more with Dr. G.

Both doctors are (as you know) well-respected and know what they're doing. Dr. Arnett has more years of experience, and is the head of the practice. He does more teaching/lecture work, and could probably be said to be more prestigious. Dr. Gunson is somewhat younger and therefore has somewhat less experience, but he's equally qualified and has published widely. He teaches, too, but less than Dr. A.

So, it's harder to get a slot with Dr. Arnett because he travels so much and is so well-known. I think how it basically works is that the surgeon you see will do all the measurments, come up with a treatment plan, and do the majority of the work during the surgery itself. But, I was told that both surgeons will be in the OR during my surgery; in my case, Dr. Gunson will be the lead and Dr. Arnett the assistant. This means, essentially, that if something should go wrong or present a difficulty, both surgeons will be on hand to figure out the problem.

As for "bedside manner"--I only spoke briefly with Dr. Arnett, but was impressed by him. I was equally impressed by Dr. Gunson, who I spent much more time with. He's a very nice guy, and he's clearly concerned about his patients' questions, concerns, and well-being. He listened carefully to everything I said, and took plenty of time to make sure I understood and was comfortable with what he was suggesting. He's also quite personable, friendly, and respectful.

If you're really having trouble deciding who to have the initial consult with, I'd suggest talking with one of the assistants: they're great, and could probably give you a clearer picture of the differences between the two than I can.

Anyway, my two cents. Hope that's helpful. :)
Wow, what a response!

I can see Gunson sooner than Arnett (late December/Jan) but since this is my face we're talking about I don't mind waiting a month or so more.

I've met with many "nice" doctors but they've all given me different estimates, treatment plans, and advice. I've chosen Arnett/Gunson because the latest doctor I met with referred to my condition as a "special" situation and basically said he had no idea how to correct it.

Do they both charge the same? Did you meet with both doctors before deciding or was Gunson just more convenient time-wise?

I spoke with the assistant and she said the exact same thing...both are great, Arnett is less available, etc....

The before/after photos on their site don't credit the specific doctor.

Ugh I'm so confused!

ColoradoGirl

#4 Post by ColoradoGirl »

:)

I do think both of them are eminently qualified to deal with special cases (my case is special, too). I'm not sure about charges, but I bet they're similar (you could call Cindie or Renee for specifics). Honestly, I think Dr. Arnett has more experience and is much more of a rock star; Dr. Gunson is slightly less experienced and doesn't have as much cachet associated with his name. (Note: of course Dr. Arnett is great; I don't mean to imply that he's *only* got star power going for him--I just think that star power is an additional plus if you go with him). It was helpful to me to know that they'd both be there in either case.

I actually didn't meet them both before making a consult appointment--time issue. But, I did meet them both there.

By "nice," I mean authentic, well-spoken, and interested in really talking to me--I didn't feel that he was trying to rush me along. This is likely true of Dr. A. too, but I didn't spend enough time with him to really know.

Also, you can ask for references from former patients for each doctor, and talk to them about their experiences.

Good luck!

P.S.--you caught me at a very talkative time--I'm getting blood taken for a surgical self-donation tomorrow, so I've been feeling mildly obsessive about the whole process. ;)

CaliforniaKid

#5 Post by CaliforniaKid »

ColoradoGirl wrote::)

I do think both of them are eminently qualified to deal with special cases (my case is special, too). I'm not sure about charges, but I bet they're similar (you could call Cindie or Renee for specifics). Honestly, I think Dr. Arnett has more experience and is much more of a rock star; Dr. Gunson is slightly less experienced and doesn't have as much cachet associated with his name. (Note: of course Dr. Arnett is great; I don't mean to imply that he's *only* got star power going for him--I just think that star power is an additional plus if you go with him). It was helpful to me to know that they'd both be there in either case.

I actually didn't meet them both before making a consult appointment--time issue. But, I did meet them both there.

By "nice," I mean authentic, well-spoken, and interested in really talking to me--I didn't feel that he was trying to rush me along. This is likely true of Dr. A. too, but I didn't spend enough time with him to really know.

Also, you can ask for references from former patients for each doctor, and talk to them about their experiences.

Good luck!

P.S.--you caught me at a very talkative time--I'm getting blood taken for a surgical self-donation tomorrow, so I've been feeling mildly obsessive about the whole process. ;)
Yes I spoke with one of the people you mentioned. I don't want to provide to much info so as to not spoil my anonymity!

I was leaning towards Arnett simply because of his obviously stronger resume and 10+ years more experience, but every case I've seen online uses Gunson and not Arnett.

I told the receptionist a little about my situation - serious thumb sucking altered nose-chin facial symmetry and upper jaw alignment - but she/he didn't say anything specific about gunson/arnett when i asked if they specialized in either more or less.

I hope that makes sense. :D

I can see Gunson more than a month ahead of Arnett and it is more convenient for my school schedule, but I can still do Arnett.

I'm liking Gunson more simply based off the feedback here and elsewhere but mostly because I can't find anything personal on Arnett. I've read through dozens of his books and online journals but most are signed with Gunson or another partner.

I guess I'm kind of paranoid.

Why are you donating blood for yourself?

CaliforniaKid

#6 Post by CaliforniaKid »

there needs to be an edit feature on this forum :?

Marisama

#7 Post by Marisama »

I've chosen to go with Dr. Gunson. I too have been to several surgeons who did not even know how to approach my asymmetry and TMJ issues. I am planning on the summer of '11. Keep in touch.

asmileconnectsus

#8 Post by asmileconnectsus »

I had my surgery done with Gunson last Nov. In my experience all of the staff at their office really work together, and no matter which doctor is the "lead" you will be seeing both of them @ your pre-op appointment the day before your surgery to take pictures measurements and to discuss your case. All of the support staff is amazing, and you will be very please with each of their bedside manner. I know that for the surgery they take the models you have done and both practice the surgery on the models before your actual surgery takes place. Which I think is awesome, and I have not heard a lot of other people saying their surgeons have done this. All in all I really don't think it matters if you have Arnett or Gunson. They are both highly qualified and experienced. They have Tuesdays and Thursdays as surgery days where they do two surgeries a day (this is how it has been I know, but it may have changed). My double jaw surgery for TMJ/Asymmetry was supposed to be 5 hours long, but it ended up being 3. They said everything just went as planned, and things in my face moved easier than other peoples. It also has to do with ALL of the extensive planning they put into each surgery. GOOD LUCK! and my advice is that in this office you want to get your name in their books ASAP, it doesn't matter which doctor you have as your head surgeon- they are both incredible!

ColoradoGirl

#9 Post by ColoradoGirl »

Ditto on getting your name in asap.

I didn't know that about the models, asmileconnectsus--that's really cool.

They have you donate blood 2-5 weeks before your surgery in case you need it during the operation.

cvn

#10 Post by cvn »

I went with Dr Arnett because my face was a mess and he had more experience. I had already had the surgery twice before with a different surgeon so I wanted it right this time. Arnett is more expensive. For me it was worth it.

As I understand it, they often assist for each other, but they have some other guys that assist when one of them is off at a conference or whatever. Gunson seems to be 1st author on most of the papers these days, so i imagine he's writing a good portion of them.

I won't lie though. It sucks coming 7 hours in a car (and 7 hours back ugh) every other Tuesday since April. Guess what I'm doing today :-/ yay for 14 hour drives! (dont fear its not the norm!)

asmileconnectsus

#11 Post by asmileconnectsus »

I feel you on the travel! I have to fly from the East Coast each time I need to see them. I stayed out there for a month post-op and have gone back twice, and will go back again for my one year. Worth every bit of the expense! :D

CaliforniaKid

#12 Post by CaliforniaKid »

cvn wrote:I went with Dr Arnett because my face was a mess and he had more experience. I had already had the surgery twice before with a different surgeon so I wanted it right this time. Arnett is more expensive. For me it was worth it.

As I understand it, they often assist for each other, but they have some other guys that assist when one of them is off at a conference or whatever. Gunson seems to be 1st author on most of the papers these days, so i imagine he's writing a good portion of them.

I won't lie though. It sucks coming 7 hours in a car (and 7 hours back ugh) every other Tuesday since April. Guess what I'm doing today :-/ yay for 14 hour drives! (dont fear its not the norm!)
"I went with Arnett because my face was a mess and he had more experience.."

Ahhh. Now I'm paranoid for choosing Gunson. LOL.

My condition is extremely frustrating. I have literally consulted with over 5 separate oral surgeons from varius socal cities and all have given me different estimates and treatment plans.

I see Arnett is one of the top surgeons in the country, but then everyone says Gunson is just as good. Ugh.

I could still see Arnett but it wouldn't be until 2011. I've been told the surgeons never have differing POVs.

cvn

#13 Post by cvn »

Sorry I in no way meant to deter you. Gunson is a spectacular surgeon and probably would have been fine on mine as well. My face was in bad shape from the other surgeries and it was peace of mind for me. They've both seen it all and not much is able to surprise them.

peskywabbit

#14 Post by peskywabbit »

Hi CaliforniaKid,

Would love to know the outcome. Have had two disasterous prior surgeries, the last one was 11 years ago. Have been too busy, nervous to even try again. However, got my nerve up and through this forum found the names of Arnett and Gunson.

Good for you for doing your homework to find the best docs around. Wish I had done it before.

ColoradoGirl

#15 Post by ColoradoGirl »

Just had my surgery with Dr. Gunson--it went quite well, and I really felt comfortable throughout the process. In my case, Dr. Arnett assisted; they both came to check on me after the surgery. I don't know that my case was all that complex, but it did require a lot of movement and grafting. The surgery took about 5 1/2 hours in total. I can't totally see the results yet, of course, but so far I'm really pleased.