Changes to Nose

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

maxhammer

Changes to Nose

#1 Post by maxhammer »

Can people who have had surgery (specifically with Gunson if possible) describe the changes to their nose? I'd like to go forward with surgery, but it's my biggest concern. I have a distinct nose, so it seems like tinkering in that area could cause problems...

sirwired

Re: Changes to Nose

#2 Post by sirwired »

What affect, if any, upon your nose, would be dependent on what exactly you were having done, and which precise movements are going to be made during the surgery.

CaliforniaKid

#3 Post by CaliforniaKid »

in a consult, they'll explain what can and cannot be done. they really put a strong focus on aesthetics and will give you an idea what to expect.

the reality is some things might change, perhaps even the kind of surgery, until the day of the surgery. you'll have 1-2 years of braces and that creates a lot of movement. i was told any movement with my jaw will alter the way how your features look, including the nose.

im not sure if they do nose jobs as part of surgeries. i know they deal with chins/cheeks. just ask. it's a 3 hour consultation.

maxhammer

#4 Post by maxhammer »

Okay. I looked at a lot of before/after photos of jaw surgery, and in most of them the patient's nose changed. Most times for the worse. :/

Since my case is borderline (small/receded lower jaw, but not horrible) it's a tough call to make. I'll ask them and all, but it's best getting firsthand experience.

ReoSity

#5 Post by ReoSity »

which before and afters? Can you post them or a link. I've seen over a dozen of his patients and they've always had great noses post-op.

CaliforniaKid

#6 Post by CaliforniaKid »

yeah i second that. i have seen hundreds of arnett/gunson before and after pics and not one bad job.

i mean not everyone turns out to be a model but never did i notice something weird about the nose. just ask them about it. if you are a borderline case and ur really not satisfied with ur nose just know that after jaw surgery you have to wait another year before you can have another surgery.

at least that is what i am told.

freakyteeth

#7 Post by freakyteeth »

They cut a piece of bone under my nose and now it is more upturned, and less hook like. I need to post pictures. At first I didn't like it, and now I LOVE it.

It was pretty much a free nose job.
Braces 1986 & Sept 2007 (age 34)
severe class II impinging overbite
17 missing teeth (genetically)- AXIN 2 genetic mutation
Jan 2010 - genioplasty w/mandibular bone graft (from chin bone)
Jul 2010 - 4 mandibular implants. FAILED
Oct 2010 - re-placement of 3 implants, hardware removal
03/29/2011 - BSSO and 3 piece Lefort I
Sept 2012 - Upper jaw - 4 implants w/bone graft.
Jan 2016 - upper hardware removal, extensive upper bone graft

maxhammer

#8 Post by maxhammer »

People seem shocked I mentioned the nose changing.
Check out this thread:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=35205

pretty much everyone says it changes. It changes in all the photos I've ever seen of jaw surgery. It tips up/nostrils flair. Sometimes it widens. I don't know about Arnett/Gunson. Do we really believe they're work is different?

Summertimeolive

#9 Post by Summertimeolive »

It would really depend on how they are moving your upper jaw. If they impact it I have heard your nose will widen a bit and that the alar stitch helps reduce excessive width . If your upper jaw is brought forward it will upturn your nose a little and if brought back it might bring your nose down a bit. I have not had the surgery with Gunson, but this is from photos of patients online!

I am looking for more photos of before and afters online by Arnett/Gunson since there really isnt much on their website.grrrrrr :-=

maxhammer

#10 Post by maxhammer »

Cool, let me know what you find, STO.
Make sure the before/after aren't the Dolphin images, too. :P

CaliforniaKid

#11 Post by CaliforniaKid »

@summer, yes their website is lacking in before-after photos.

but at the consult, there are several hundred before/after photos available. many plastered all over the wall. know that gunson/arnett do about 3 surgeries a week.

arnett/gunson charge premium because they put a huge focus on aesthetics. i seriously doubt your jaw surgery will mess up your nose. and dont be discouraged by the projections, it's a very rough estimate and is only designed to give a patient more info.

ASK questions. you have 3 hours. write a list.

treevernal

#12 Post by treevernal »

To all freaked out about Arnett/Gunson's imaging, this photo shows the before, predicted, and actual results. As you can see, she looks much better in her actual after than the prediction.

Arnett morph by treevernal, on Flickr

CaliforniaKid

#13 Post by CaliforniaKid »

i wonder if they augmented her chin or simply moved the lower jaw forward.

ReoSity

#14 Post by ReoSity »

treevernal wrote:To all freaked out about Arnett/Gunson's imaging, this photo shows the before, predicted, and actual results. As you can see, she looks much better in her actual after than the prediction.
I've been saying this repeatedly lately, nice job demonstrating with the photos.
CaliforniaKid wrote:i wonder if they augmented her chin or simply moved the lower jaw forward.
Both, she had a 28mm advancement in total.

http://books.google.com/books?id=phBBBz ... Dimensiona

maxhammer

#15 Post by maxhammer »

treevernal wrote:To all freaked out about Arnett/Gunson's imaging, this photo shows the before, predicted, and actual results. As you can see, she looks much better in her actual after than the prediction.

Arnett morph by treevernal, on Flickr
Her nose definitely tilts more upward, though. Look at the tip.
From a frontal view, that probably means you can see into her nostrils. I've seen this repeatedly in post-surgery reveals.