genioplasty correct lip strain/incompetence..help please!!

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Babe

genioplasty correct lip strain/incompetence..help please!!

#1 Post by Babe »

Hi everyone,

Has anyone had genioplasty to correct lip strain? I have a mild case but I still hate it to me its horrible. I have a chin implant which I feels helps my lip strain a bit however it is resorping and not I want it out. I think my ortho thinks it isn't that bad bc the chin implant is helping the lip strain. I willd iscuss this with him at my next appointment.

I want to know if vertical reduction of my chin will help my lip strain. It makes sense when I think about it. I will be going to 3 consults in the next couple of months. I want to make the best decision. I hate this waiting period I just want to get this over with :cry:

smile2006

#2 Post by smile2006 »

I really can't say if genioplasty alone would do the trick. It seems like rotating the lower jaw upward would be the safer bet because that would reduce the vertical distance between the lips (but I'm not an expert). I had upper, lower and genioplasty to correct an open which together also corrected a pretty bad case of lip strain. It feels so weird (in a good way) to realize throughout the day I naturally have my lips closed!!!!!! I think the preferred procedure now is a sliding genioplasty rather than the implant. I can tell you the genioplasty in combination with the advancement of my lower jaw produced considerable numbness in the chin and lower lip because of the nerves in that area. I'm about 6 weeks post-op and the numbness is gettting much better in my lower lip and slighlty better in the chin area. It seems to be a slow process to gain back the feeling. I'm still pleased with the results however!

Babe

#3 Post by Babe »

Thank you for your repsonse bc it doesn't seem like to many people have my problem. I have a mild case of lip strain and my ortho did not recommend any type of surgery :-( To me my lip strain is bad bc thats what I know ---my lips dont meet it looks bad I don't care if I am not a severe case lol.

I will be speaking with another surgeon bc I want my implant out no matter what so I will have to wait and see what he recommends bc I trust his opinion more so than my ortho you could say.
I had upper, lower and genioplasty to correct an open which together also corrected a pretty bad case of lip strain.
Could you explain this what type of genio you had if you don't mind?

Sorry for the ?s but I am trying to learn as much as possible :D

Do you know how I could post pics I would love to get people's opinions

smile2006

#4 Post by smile2006 »

I had a sliding genioplasty in which the tip of the chin is basically cut off and repositioned (up, down, forward, etc. depending on the desired effect) and then held in place with screws and plates. It was all done internally in the mouth. Typically it is considered a cosemetic procedure but in my case it was necessary to keep things in balance given the repositioning of the 2 jaws. I was very lucky in that my insurance covered this. They covered the upper and lower procedure which was expected but also (by surprise) the genioplasty. I am thankful for this wonderful "gift". There is a good deal of information on the web about the sliding genioplasty if you google the term. Sorry, I haven't posted pictures so i can't help you there.

Does your ortho feel the chin is imacting your bite or is it a personal cosmetic conern (which is of course legitimate)? Please post when you see the surgeon. I would guess if the implant was removed, the alternative procedure (sliding genio) would be used. When was the implant done? It's possible the sliding genio was available if it was done some time ago.

Babe

#5 Post by Babe »

My ortho does not feel it is implacting my bite which I guess is why he doesn't care to fix it in addition to the fact that it is a mild case....so it is both a cosmetic concern for me as well as the fact that I do not want to damage my bone.

My implant was put in 2 yrs ago... I just came across an interesting article which I think answers my question. I guess I am my own worst enemy. I get the implant to make my lip strain look less obvious and consequently I get bone erosion bc of my lip strain...how wonderful :( heres the site if you are interested:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... =Abstractn

I will definetly want to get this implant out ASAP and have a possible sliding genio if my surgeon agrees. I will definetly post after my consults and keep you upadted. Your info really helps clarify some ?s I had :-)

Ewok2000

#6 Post by Ewok2000 »

Don't really have any input on genio's but I am also looking in to it. I have lip incompetence and to say the least, it sucks. Having your lips constantly open and knowing if you do consciously bring ur lips together, there's ugly mentalis strain. It apears my deficient chin is the main cause of it although my 2mm overbite and 5mm overjet( which i'm in the middle of fixing w/ braces) don't help. I've notice most people, even with under or overbites have normal lip competence so It ticks me off a little that such a little thing throws off the harmony of my face.

I haven't seen any maxiofacial surgeons or PS but I'm gonna get a consultation soon. I'm planning on having some sort of genioplasty for summer since I'll have ample time to heal.

Babe

#7 Post by Babe »

so recovery is not supposed to be bad from a sliding genio?? I am wondering about the pain issue....

Ewok2000

#8 Post by Ewok2000 »

Meryaten - Sort of late reply but did you have to wear braces before your BSSO and midline osteotomy and if so, what was the reason your ortho gave? Im asking because im in the middle of braces but I didnt plan for any surgery so after my treatment is done, is it possible to have some kind of jaw sugery?