numbness

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Val

numbness

#1 Post by Val »

Hi ...I'm new here and have a question. I am 3 years post double jaw surgery and even tho my results look good, I am bummed that I never regained feeling in my upper palate and part of my upper lip. The roof of my mouth and my gums stayed mostly numb,I'd say I have about 15% feeling. I also often have a cold sensation. I dont know if the nerves are just sending strange signals or what. Lower feeling came back most of the way. My questions are:
Has anyone out there had feeling come back after such a long time?
Has anyone had it get worse?
Has anyone had their tongue affected?
Sorry ,I dont want to scare anyone in recovery, I know with my problems I'm in the minority, but I just need to talk to someone who's been thru this.
Thanks,Val

Val

#2 Post by Val »

Thanks,Lucy, for your reply. It's good to know that there could still be hope. It is true, nerves are very strange. I do get those electric shock feelings across the roof of my mouth if I blow my nose too hard! So there has to be some sort of life going on in there!
On the positive side, since this is a forum for braces, etc, I've had mine off for 2 years and my bite is absolutely picture perfect! People compliment me on my teeth all the time. And I do love to smile alot more! I still have my lower retainer permanently fixed and I wear my upper retainer at night 2x a week. I will probably always wear it - I dearly paid for this smile and I'm going to keep it !!! :D

smile2006

#3 Post by smile2006 »

Hi There- I had upper, lower and genioplasty on July 13. I still have a good deal of numbness in my center chin but the rest is diminishing. I feel for you because it seems like my chin is kicking back in so slowly. I'd be curious to know what your surgeon says about your case. It seems like people generally get long-term numbness from work in the lower jaw area? I also read somewhere when preparing for surgery that going in and repairing nerves is something that can be done. Glad your bite is great and your smile is perfect. I will likely wear my retainers diligently as well....expensive mouths we have! Good luck and don't give up :D

Val

#4 Post by Val »

Hi, thanks so much for your post. I had my upper brought forward and widened, and my lower set back . When I woke up from surgery I was numb up to my eyeballs. It took a couple months for it to die down but then a good 8 months to come back to the point it is now. And I was just beat for a couple months, but I got my energy back. I didn't swell that much after surgery, I looked normal after one week.
I have a bit of a dilemma to go see my surgeon because I live in Alaska and had to fly to Seattle to get the surgery done; our insurance wouldn't cover it otherwise. There is a surgeon in Anchorage but all my records are in Seattle. I suppose I could have them sent up here. I really do need to go and see if there is any thing else that can be done.
Thanks for your support! I feel very alone in this and it is so good to talk to people who have gone thru the same surgery and know what I'm talking about!!! :)

Chris

#5 Post by Chris »

Well, I've never had the jaw surgery but with my wisdom teeth pulled I lost all sensation to my lower lip and chin for many months. The feeling came back. Take your B-Vitamins for nerve health.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007