Newbie Question

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jimmy_101

Newbie Question

#1 Post by Jimmy_101 »

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum. I have my first orthodontic appointment on the 30th sept, yet im still impatient for answers! Ive always thought that my two profiles were significantly different. One side of my face has a much taller fuller profile than the other. On the right the bottom lip is receding the top slightly and my face looks a little caved in. There is also less distance between the bottom of the ear and the bottom jaw, making my face look flat. Many of my family and friends say they cant notice it, but I do notice it and im self conscious as a result. I feel a bit like Jekyll and Hyde because one side of my face appears to be OK and the other iI find unattractive. Plu, head on, my mouth looks slightly crooked and people have told me before i have a weird shaped mouth. I cant bear photographs and I never smile for them as I have a lot of rotation and crowding still on the upper and lower front teeth.

I had orthodontic treatment when i was about 12 with a retainer, but i didnt wear it all the time and treatment didnt seem to work and my parents never took me back. I think to have this treatment the dentist may have extracted one of my upper bicuspid teeth to accomodate the crowding, because i have only six adult teeth on that side. (the right)/

After recently deciding to get my teeth fixed and reading up on forums like this, i have realised that the difference in my profile is down to the crooked teeth (causing a couple of cross bites and an underbite or two - I think) and possibly the removed tooth too. Im a bit annoyed about this as I've read that you shouldnt extract childrens teeth with braces and I feel like Ive been significantly impaired.

Anyway, basically my question is from what youve read do you guys think im treatable? Will I ever have a profile that matches the other one? And are there any other people who have a similar problem, ie. one side of the profile is flat, the other is tall and full. Im very self conscious about this and would thank my lucky stars if there was a way of treating me. Im 25 years old and I want to get this right this time. But will I need expensive surgery, which I may not be covered for because it might be cosmetic....

Thanks a lot

no_more_jujubees_4_me

Jimmy_101, Similar profile issues

#2 Post by no_more_jujubees_4_me »

Hello Jimmy. i can't answer the treatable question -- i hope for your sake it is! i too have a weird, assymetric profile. i don't mind my left profile, but the right side is definitely less normal! i have Class II malocclusion, and my overbite is 10 mm! On the right side of my jaw, my upper teeth jut out, but on the left side, they fall straight. So it's barely noticeable to those who aren't looking, but i can see it if i care to stare in the mirror and search for it. My smile is lopsided (bigger on the right side) and many of my teeth are twisted around in their sockets. Some teeth even look like God threw them at my face from six feet away and just stuck them wherever they landed. My parents loved us, but had some issues and were somewhat negligent in my siblings' and my care. Anyway, at 30 years old, i got my (gold! Woo hoo!) braces put on yesterday, and am looking at orthognathic surgery in 12-18 months. If it makes you feel better, when i'd visited her a few times and it was clear to my orthodontist that i could finally handle candid commenting on my teeth, with the most solemn expression she told me i'm the worst case she's seen in several years. (Finally! i'm exceptional at something! ;) ) She teaches at a university as well, and plans to use me as a case-study, it's so bad! Your issue may not be only cosmetic -- you may face risks of serious trouble when you're older (my face is caving in -- i saw it happening to my mother when she was in her late 50s) and insurance may cover it after all. There's just one way to be sure, though....

If you can swing it financially (which i realize can be a serious issue), why not just visit the orthodontist, shell out the initial records bucks and enjoy a thorough consultation. i'm so glad i finally did it, and wish i did it sooner. Even if you decide not to do anything, at least you'll have made an *informed* decision. A reversible one :) . Don't sweat it, just go! :)

P.S. i've been informed that i'll never have a perfect smile -- my mouth is just too much of a mess (always 3-4 cm overbite, always some other problems), but i never realized before exactly how hard i've always worked to talk normally (i have no discernable speech problems, but i'm always conscientiously enunciating everything i say), and how much work i go to in chewing my food thoroughly, until my ortho showed me what a normal jaw looks like, and then showed me my mold. It's worth it all to me just to find out what "normal" is like in those areas, and to just relish that once it's all over.

My best wishes to you....

no_more_jujubees_4_me

#3 Post by no_more_jujubees_4_me »

Oh, duh, i just re-read your post and i see you have an appt. on the 30th -- please pardon1 :) Let us know what you learn!

With even more, even better wishes,
Jujubees

lillie32

wow!

#4 Post by lillie32 »

I hope for the best for the both of you (Jimmy & Jujubee)!!

The one thing I have in common with you is that a lot of these problems we're dealing with right now could've been prevented when we were younger. I wish my father would've been in my life (not a dead beat dad), and that my mother had medical/dental insurance for us kids, and had taken us to the dentist/ orthodontist at the appropriate age, instead of having to deal with this at 32 yo. But I know my mom did the best she could, under the circumstances, but now, only God knows if these measures which I'm taking now will work (braces and extraction/ exposure to canines surgery).

no_more_jujubees_4_me

#5 Post by no_more_jujubees_4_me »

:) Hear, hear! :) i have three children of my own at this point, and each one will visit the ortho by seven years! My 6-y-o just went for his first visit with my ortho, because his teeth look like mine :( . She insists i bring him back in a year, because it will be time to take action.

lillie32

Yep

#6 Post by lillie32 »

Yes, my son, who just turned 10 2 months ago, will also need braces, but I think he's gonna have different problems than me. I think he's gonna be like his father, who also had over crowding problems, but has a lovely smile today, because of the early care he got! I will be taking my son in probably in a year or 2, because his front teeth are taking forever to come in and we can't afford it right now. Not only that, I don't think he's mentally and physically ready for braces yet. But my husband and I both agree that he will be in braces very soon!

:frogbraces:

joney

#7 Post by joney »

Good luck with everything Jimmy 101. It would seem that there are no end of possibilities with orthodontics so I am sure that something can be done to help you. I also had a one tooth extraction as a teenager and I am lopsided with a 12mm overbite.

Jujubees I loved your comments, they could have been written for me. :D
Some teeth even look like God threw them at my face from six feet away and just stuck them wherever they landed.
(Finally! i'm exceptional at something!
It always helps in life to have a sense of humour about things. I too have been told that I won't get perfection but I will be happy to settle for a big improvement.

Regards
Joney

Jimmy_101

#8 Post by Jimmy_101 »

Hey, pretty belated reply this one. some six months or so after the first post. Anyway, at this point I have been to an orthodontist and am now braced up with damon 3's I think, they might be damon 2's. They are definitely damons though, that much Im sure of.

The ortho reassured me about a lot of things, he said that I probably needed the extraction as a kid, and that my teeth wouldve been in a sorrier state had I not had them. I dont know wether or not to believe him or not. theres a whole heap of gum up on my upper right side where the wisdom tooth (now removed) shouldve gone. And my brain says that tooth couldve gone there. He also said that in order to have a perfect hollywood smile, I would need jaw surgery, but strongly advised me not to go down this route. At a later date he said I wasnt that far off perfection, so jaw surgery was inadvisable.

After two months in braces my profile has changed a little, maybe its all in my imagination, but it seems to look fuller and a little less sunken. My real concern now is, he said he might have to remove a tooth on my lower right side so it matches up with the top bit. Im worried this'll put me back into square one or at least into the same or worse position than when i started!! Im not sure what to do, I really like my orthodontist, he seems really calm and intelligent and i doubt I could do much better than him but at the same time sometimes I get a bit of a "everyone should learn to be happy the way they are" vibe off him, which is all very well and nice but i swear that bad orthodontic treatment messed my face up when i was young and i need someone to fix it. I dont need Buddha.

I think the problem is, when i feel the square angle of my jaws on the back (bottom). On the left side I can feel strong bone and support there, on the right it is much weaker and less prominent. If he extracts, surely its just going to get worse! Id rather have a bad bite than more sunkeness!!

omeone help me, tell me im not at the mercy of a madman whos gonna have me looking like a frog on one side of my face for the rest of my life.. !

Surely what he needs to do is push the teeth on the right side further out into the cheek where theres bone to make it fuller! Maybe I'll learn orthodontistry and do it myself

HighandLo

#9 Post by HighandLo »

Jimmy,

Is there a way you could get a second opinion with an Ortho or Surgeon? Here in the U.S. consultations are usually free. It might make you feel more confident in your treatment. Good for you, working on what you want rather than waiting! It's not just a cosmetic problem, either. If it was, insurance wouldn't pay for it - and they do for the most part, at least over here. It's hard to argue with an x-ray of a skeletal deformity!

I too have jaw asymmetry and it has bothered me on and off for decades. I also had lower teeth removed when I was younger and think that had something to do with my jaw developing differently on one side. But, today's a new day and I applaud anyone willing to go through jaw surgery to get the dental health and confidence they need.

It's not like cosmetic surgery where someone just wants a different nose or a celebrity's chin. I look at it as just wanting my jaws to match on each side. It can't be good for my facial muscles to be pulling more on one side than the other! I have had chronic headaches for years and years.

I understand your dissatisfaction with the answers you've gotten so far entirely. We only have one life and we should make it the best we can! Why should only certain people be allowed to have symmetrical features? Buddha, I like that one :wink:

Wishing you good reports!

Lo

Jimmy_101

#10 Post by Jimmy_101 »

Many thanks for the reply highandlo. Jaw asymmetry is definitely my problem. In fact I think Id rather have jaw symmetry than straight teeth! After becoming interested in the weird and wonderful world of my face again today, I dont know if i#ll be happy with just having straight teeth at the end of my orthodontic treatment. It really does bug me that my face seems to change so much through a 180 degree rotation. Its bugged me ever since I first noticed it at the age of 15, 10 years ago now. What are the chances it will still bug me when i notice it in photos 10 years from now? probably quite high.

I find it strange that other people dont notice it yet to me it seems extremely obvious. I remember telling my dad back in september that I was considering surgery and he went ballistic at me! Saying that he had never ever noticed it and reiterating the point. After this I thought maybe I just had some psychological problems that needed addressing, but 6 months later I feel in a perfectly healthy mental state of mind. Ive looked again and the problem is still there. its confusing having two different sides to your face.

I dont know if I could bring myself to pay for surgery though, particularly if it was over 10 grand. And I dont think it would be covered on the NHS as Ive never had any jaw pain or headaches because of it. My bite is not perfect but it works.

Im really hoping the braces will sort it out at least partially. I would be happy with a 50 percent improvement or a chin that was right in the middle of my face. :) But it might well be the case that surgery was the only way to get the holy grail of symmetry. If that was the case do you think that the braces I currently have would maybe have to change to meet the criteria of the surgery?

Interestingly enough recently one of my friends has become convinced that I look like the singer Jamie T. After checking him out online, Ive got to say shes pretty dead on really. he has exactly the same kind of jawline as me. You may not notice at first but check out his face from the right and left sides and the line of his smile, its all wonky, just like mine! Its no coincedence his teeth are pretty bad too, thats probably what led to it. Some of his songs are pretty good as well :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tZ4PoNS ... ed&search=

HighandLo

#11 Post by HighandLo »

Jimmy,

I think it all depends on why your chin is not dead center. If it's just because your teeth don't meet correctly, that's one thing. I know a lot of miraculous things can be done with braces, but they can't move your jaw structure if one side is longer than the other. Maybe that's not the cse with you.

In my case, one side of my jaw has actually grown more (or the other side collapsed a bit, I'm not sure which). My teeth are actually straight now, but my jaw is way off. My braces have expanded my upper jawline, though. I'll have to post pictures soon; I have been waiting on my surgeon's actual diagnosis and surgery description. He told me my teeth would never meet correctly without jaw surgery - but I've been told this a few times from different dentists, so I know he has it right.

You never know, your NHS may pay for it. Something this important is worth taking the time to try for. Hey, even if you can't get surgery paid for right now, there's nothing stopping you from saving up for later or maybe getting private insurance?

I have also been told by my family that they don't notice anything. Of course, they've known me forever! The're used to how I look. And I have to admit that my jaw hasn't stopped me from doing most of what I want to do. I'm happily married, kids, all that. But, when I look at pictures of me, I want to delete them all. It's very obvious, and as I get older with less "baby fat," my jaw is more obviously out of whack.

I'd want another opinion if I were you - someone who didn't tell me to "live with it" when they don't have any clue what that's like.

Good luck!

Lo

Jimmy_101

#12 Post by Jimmy_101 »

Well today I have been feeling a bit down. Like many people with jaw asymmetry I imagine periodically feel. In fact Ive felt down enough to just say to myself "F@*! it, im tired of this, im gonna have surgery. I dont give a damn what anyone else thinks because they dont understand".

If I could be free of those niggling thoughts about my appearance from certain angles I would be much happier, that is a fact. Im sick and tired of being a strange mix of beauty and ugliness depending on what angle Im viewed from. Its all very well for people to say just learn to love yourself the way you are. THe fact is, I do love muself, very much so. I love myself enough to know and be honest with myself that having symmetrical jaws will make a big difference to my self image and self esteem. I dont want to end up being someone who is still toying with the idea of surgery at 50, Im going to do it now, I can afford it. There is nothing stopping me. When I first noticed this problem when i was 15, it wasnt something I had to look for, I noticed it straight away that something was wrong. I didnt know it was jaw assymetry but I could plainly see that my two profiles were different, and it totally bummed me out.

However I think the NHS should pay for it, it was NHS orthodontic care that put me in this place to begin with. My Ortho says that its not the orthodontist I had as a child who caused this problem. But how can it not be? they know enough now to correct asymmetry in growing childrrens jaws, when I look at pictures of myself as a kid, my face has completely changed. Thats not right, and my instinct tells me that it wouldnt have changed that much without orthodontic intervention, extractions etc.

I apologise for ranting, i dont usually wallow in self pity, but ive just had one of those periods where its entered my mind again and ive become a little obsessed with it. Im sure there are many people here who can relate. The fact is, its not in my head, this is genuine skeletal deformity and this time I want it fixed, once and for all. They can fix it, so im going to let them. If i can get it on the NHS then I'll wait a couple of years. If not, then I'll bloody pay for it and get it done right away, no more jekyll and hyde. I want to be jekyll and hot, and if thats vain, well then i dont care. This is an age of vanity and everyone is more vain these days

ohmyjaw

#13 Post by ohmyjaw »

Hi Jimmy,

I certainly think you should have your jaw fixed if it's bothering you. I know what it feels like to have those "niggling thoughts". However, I am not sure that your problem could have been caused by orthodontics. I had some extractions as a kid, and while I later learned that they weren't necessary, I know it had no impact on my bad bite - my jaw just grew that way. But whatever the case, are you able to get a consultation or two with a surgeon to get some more information?

I had surgery two months ago for jaw asymmetry (among other things). I always knew my chin was a bit off-centre, but it never bothered me. I could have lived happily with it. However, my teeth were a mess, and I was told that I need to have the proper jaw alignment if I wanted my teeth to be straight. So I went ahead and had the surgery. And, I also know what it's like to have people tell you that you're crazy and you don't need surgery etc. My father said the exact same thing. Eventually, though, he was okay with it. It just takes some people a while to get used to the idea.

Good luck with your treatment and let us know how it progresses. And feel free to rant if you need to!

txmetal

#14 Post by txmetal »

Hi Everyone - It's really interesting to read all your comments. I'm 44 years old and grew up in Africa where teeth were not an important part of ones life. I was clueless to the fact that I had a major overbite - I mean major - and have been in braces on the upper for 2 and 1/2 years and the lower for 2 years. Both my dentist and orthodontist have suggested I consult withe an oral surgeon about orthognathic surgery. Finally picked up the courage and made an appointment, which was yesterday, and I must say I was totally amazed as to what can be done these days.

I've still not made up my mind 100% about doing the surgery. One of the questions that I have, but forgot to ask about, is if bone growth in an older person such as myself is still as quick and solid as it would be in a younger person, say in their twenties. Anyone have an idea?

HighandLo

#15 Post by HighandLo »

Hi TxMetal,

I think a lot depends on the individual person - how well you take care of yourself, diet, exercise, etc. I had a bone scan (for an unrelated reason) to determine my bone health and the density of certain bones. My bones rated as the bones of a much younger person (I'm 47). By the way, I hate milk! But, I do love ice cream :wink: .

Good luck! It will be worth it.

Lo