Recovery time for a strenuous job

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

WhiteLurcher

Recovery time for a strenuous job

#1 Post by WhiteLurcher »

Hi all

First off I will ask my surgeon this question.
But I was wondering if anyone here has returned to strenuous work after surgery, and if it makes any difference to how much sick leave you need. My job requires alot of heavy lifting of large boxes in and out of a freezer. I'm just trying to gauge how long I may have to be off work.

science teacher

surgery

#2 Post by science teacher »

It of course depends on the type of surgery. Most surgeries in general have a 4 to 6 week guideline. As the proud owner of 4 abdominal surgeries I could have worked before that, but didn't have the energy to do anything else, such as cooking and laundry.

Kim

WhiteLurcher

#3 Post by WhiteLurcher »

Its deffinatley top jaw surgery possibly lower as well I hope to find out at my planning app. on the 23rd. Thanks for replying. :)

sjsarre

#4 Post by sjsarre »

If you are having general anaesthetic then for the first week you should be careful how much you exert yourself. I've had six generals and each time i've gradually got worse in terms of symptoms..

What I would say is to ask your doctor.. My doctor told me no overexertion for at least the first few days and no heavy lifting etc. Nothing that would sky rocket your blood pressure etc etc.

It takes your body on average 9 to 12 months to fully recover from a general anaesthetic. Quite shocking really but true.

nvcarissa

#5 Post by nvcarissa »

oooooooh I'm so gonna milk this!
Man...why didn't someone tell me this before!!

Braced 5/11/05, BSSO with advancement 6/21/06, Debanded: 8/1/07. Click on www for my braces story.

csblackburn

Recovery

#6 Post by csblackburn »

I'm planning on taking 3 weeks off work whenever my surgery comes around. From what I've heard, it's getting enough food into you for energy that will slow you down at that point. As so many people have said on here "Everyone's different.", and as much as I hate to say it, they're right. You're best to ask your surgeon when the time comes.

Cary
Got braces? http://www.igotbraces.com
The orthodontic and orthognathic surgery support forum for everyone.

WhiteLurcher

#7 Post by WhiteLurcher »

Thanks all for replying. I will ask at my appointment on the 23rd. I'm just getting impatient, as this is my third "planning" app. and I still don't know what is going to happen. Probably another appointment date!! :roll:

Thanks again.

Regards

Helen