Fast approaching surgery (Answers & Advice requested)

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

TigerTigerWoods

Fast approaching surgery (Answers & Advice requested)

#1 Post by TigerTigerWoods »

Howdy,

I'm new to posting.

I was originally destined to get my 'jaw broken' on November 5th. However, the number of anesthesiologists on staff at the hospital meant they had to reschedule me for the 29th of November. I received a call today that there was a lady who opted out of her scheduled date of Oct 30th, and that I could fill in. So here I sit, 24 days out of my first surgery ever...

I'm not one to stress out over things, and I'm certainly not stressed out about this procedure. My only concern is what is going to happen after the surgery has taken place.

I assume there will be swelling, some pain, and an inability to masticate a nice thick steak.

I would hope someone could answer a short list of questions for me.

1.) What will I be able to consume?
2.) Will I be able to pour liquids into my mouth, and if not can I create sufficient suction with a straw to have protein shakes?
3.) I am quite concerned with losing weight during the recovery process, does anyone have any tips for sustaining an adequete caloric intake?

Anyone's help in clarifying this procedure and/or responces to the aforementioned questions would be greatly appricated.

Sincerely,

J. Woods

Svensk Tiger

#2 Post by Svensk Tiger »

Only just seen this. How are you feeling? I'm 22 days away from sugery so not far behind you!

Can I ask what you're having done?

Katie
Metal upper and lower: 6th Sep. 2005
Quad helix in: 1st Dec. 2005
Quad Helix out: 31st March 2006
Surgery (upper/lower/genio): 11th Nov. 2006
Braces off: 17th March 2007
Under chin liposculpture and fat transplant to cheeks: 20th October 2007

TigerTigerWoods

#3 Post by TigerTigerWoods »

Thank you for your concern Meryaten, I was away so I havn't been able to post as of late. I had my pre-op yesterday... everything is a go, and looks good. I am having a bilateral sagittal split osteotomy (BSSO) or (MSSO) and possibly a Le Fort I Osteotomy. They won't know for sure until they get the bottom done.

I'm fired up to get this over with. I have met everyone involved in the procedure and they are all very professional and likeable.

What are you having done Katie?

Take care of yourselves.

J.

TigerTigerWoods

#4 Post by TigerTigerWoods »

Thank-you very much for all the information Meryaten. That was very kind of you to make such an effort.

Take Care.

J.

TigerTigerWoods

#5 Post by TigerTigerWoods »

Testing the 'ticker'

[/url]

Svensk Tiger

#6 Post by Svensk Tiger »

Glad to hear things are going ahead as planned!

I'm having a le fort 1, BSSO and possibly genio, so similar to you. My upper jaw is being moved up and my lower jaw is being advanced. I'm getting very excited/nervous now.

Keep us updated, will be looking out for an update from you :D

Ducky1515

#7 Post by Ducky1515 »

TigerTigerWoods- I see that you have have your pre-op meeting and I was hoping you might be able to share what was discussed with me. My surgery is scheduled for December 11th and I interested to know how they prep you for surgery and I don't want to wait until my meeting.

Do they ask you to refrain from drinking/smoking before the surgery.

Do they give you information on nutrition etc

Any information would be greatly apprecaited.

Best of luck on the 30th!

Ducky1515

#8 Post by Ducky1515 »

Thank you for the information TigerTigerWoods. I do feel a bit better knowing a head of time what is expected. A few of my coworkers want to take me out for a "last meal" the Friday before my surgery. I wasnt sure if I would be able to have a few drinks with them that night, but seems like I might be able to.

To be honest I havent gotten into the nitty gritty of what exactly will be done, but I do know I'm having a mandibular advancement.

I've had braces on for almost a year now setting the teeth into the correct positions for surgery.

As for nutrition, I know it all depends on the surgeon etc but I've added about 6 lbs to my normal weight so far as I know I will drop weight quickly while be on the puree food for 6 weeks.

TigerTigerWoods

#9 Post by TigerTigerWoods »

Ducky,

Basically my pre-op consisted of arriving at 8am to the oral and maxillofacial surgens office.
1. Talked to a doctor about the procedure, had my heart, and lungs listened to, blood pressure checked. Questionaire about my past and present health, and outlined the procedure. Answered any questions I had.
2. X-rays, pictures of all angles of my face, 3 molds of my teeth upper/lower.
3. Q and A. Basically went through a few pamphlets they gave me with a Nurse, said no alcohol/smoking (which I don't do anyway), no NSAIDS for 5 days before surgery.
4. Met the anesthesiologist, he told me exactly what would go on during the surgery. (Don't usually meet and talk with him I was told)
5. Blood drawn.

Out by 2:30pm

They (Halifax Hospital) gave pamphlets outlining surgery, nutrition, recovery. I assume they are generic across Canada. Everyone was very helpful and answered every question I had. Most of the terms and procedures the doctors and nurses went over I already knew something about due to my background in medicine and my research completed to date.

Hope this helped.

Take care.

J.

[/url]

TigerTigerWoods

That's it for me

#10 Post by TigerTigerWoods »

Going under the knife tomorrow morning. I'll update when I'm able.

Take Care.

J.

Svensk Tiger

#11 Post by Svensk Tiger »

Lots of luck TTW, I'll be thinking of you. Hope it all goes to plan and that you'll be back on here in a few days telling us how great you're feeling! :D

Meryaten - I won't ask why you've had a bad weekend but hope you're ok <hug>

TigerTigerWoods

Out of the hospital

#12 Post by TigerTigerWoods »

I am back from surgery. I had a bilateral sagittal split osteotomy (BSSO) or (MSSO) and a Le Fort I Osteotomy. I had it all done October 30th at about 11am, was back in my room by about 1:00 i guess. I thought I was very swollen, but I was told I actually looked pretty good all things considered. Home now, laying in bed looking like a balloon, my face is slowen and numb, I am not bruised at all and I have the occasional nose bleed. But, considering the gravity of the sugery I think I'm making out pretty well. It could be a lot worse, I'm just taking it easy.

Take care.

J

chrisk

#13 Post by chrisk »

Great to hear that you've made it through. As Merytan said the best course now is to take it easy for awhile to give your body a chance to heal, remember to drink lots of water, keep your food intake up as much as possible and try to stay positive. Before you know it most of the major swelling will be gone and you'll feel up to facing the world again.

Svensk Tiger

#14 Post by Svensk Tiger »

Glad it all went well. Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery :D

Katie