Headed for SARPE

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

lisaemtp

Headed for SARPE

#1 Post by lisaemtp »

Hi everyone, i'm in the process of consulting with my dentist and an ortho to decide how to fix my teeth. I have crowding on my upper teeth, a crossbite, and a narrow maxilla. A consult last summer (I just moved to a new area) had my dentist saying she could fix my crowding with invisalign but couldn't do anything about the other problems but "what really matters to me", and my ortho strongly suggesting braces/SARPE to solve all the problems and truly align my bite. He also said it would be the best solution for long-term stability and would fix the "cause" of my problems rather than just adressing the cosmetic concerns. I'm waiting on a consult with an ortho down here in my new state, but I'm betting he'll say the same thing. My new dentist is (again) suggesting invisalign.

I'm guessing I'll probably end up doing the whole braces/surgery thing...the appearance of my teeth was what pushed me to seek treatment, but after some research and reading about many of your experiences, I think I would rather truly "fix" my teeth. I have visions of using invisalign to straighten the front, only to find that my bite is off or end up with other problems and end up needing surgery anyways!

I started a blog (still very early yet) to document not only my treatment, but my search for the "right" treatment for me. It can be found at http://toothordare.wordpress.com ... I posted some pictures of my "before" and will be updating once I speak to the ortho, hopefully in the next week or so. I was so impressed with all the other blogs I've read, and would love to have that kind of record to look back on during and after treatment!

My other concern is (of course) financial. Does anyone have any experience with Cigna's medical insurance covering/not covering procedures? I'm also curious about price ranges (I know its different for everyone but trying to get a rough idea) . Lots of questions but I'll leave it at that for now! Thanks to everyone here for being so open about your experiences, its been a big help and goes a long way to easing my fears!

Lisa

science teacher

surgery

#2 Post by science teacher »

Hi,

I started my journey trying to fix the "Popping" in my jaw. My front teeth are pretty straight and no crowding. I have a very nasty crossbite in the back and the narrow maxilla.

I am having SARPE on 11/22. I am waiting on BCBS to predetermine coverage.

I totally agree with your ortho about fixing the problems. My ortho won't touch my teeth without the SARPE. He says braces alone couldn't fix the problem.

Kim

Wired1

#3 Post by Wired1 »

I had maxillary expansion surgery last November after fighting with both medical and dental insurance companies for coverage for a year. Medical said it was a dental problem, even though it was structural - and I had been diagnosed with sleep apnea. Why they would rather pay thousands for CPAP and TMJ treatments over my entire lifespan is beyond me.

In the end, the dental insurance paid about $800 of the $2000 for the surgery, and part of that was due to the fact that I had my wisdom teeth extracted at the same time. The surgeon's office said it was the first time they had gotten any insurance funding. This was not Cigna -- it was Delta Dental who paid.

I cannot agree with you more about fixing the root cause of the problem. I found an excellent ortho who has been an ongoing researcher as well. His life work revolves around the hypothesis that jaw position affects spinal position -- a issue he sees in many of his his adult patients who have persistant lower back issues. He also said he wouldn't treat me without the surgery... guess there is a trend here.

So glad that you started a blog -- wish I had! It's an amazing journey and I still cannot believe how wide my upper jaw has become and that I have room for my tongue... and I can breathe though my nose! And, you do look a bit different afterwards too. But for the better! Keep taking pictures!!!

Kim and Lisa, stay on top of the insurance people and fight for every dollar. If denied, have your surgeons write letters and provide additional documentation. If I had it to do again, I would have gotten an ENT to also give me documentation on my high palate which constricted breathing -- the only fix is surgery and that might have gotten me medical coverage.

All the best to you both!!

ohmyjaw

#4 Post by ohmyjaw »

Hi Lisa,

Welcome, and good luck on your ortho journey.

I think it is very, very wise of you to go for the complete ortho treatment and not just the quick fix.

I looked at your blog - it's great! I have to tell you, my teeth looked a lot like yours when I started. And, your face is kind of similar to mine, and I also knit (but I am not as accomplished as you!)

I have had braces for a year now and I will be having upper AND lower jaw surgery in early 2007, to widen my upper and straighten my lower, which is asymmetrical, and a bit bigger than the upper as well. My orthodontist said he could just straighten my teeth if I wanted, but without the surgery they probably would go crooked again.

I can't help with the financial/insurance stuff, because I am in Canada and things are pretty different here.

Good luck and let us know how things progress for you!