Longest time from braces on to surgery?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

csblackburn

Longest time from braces on to surgery?

#1 Post by csblackburn »

I'm curious. I'm fourteen months into my treatment with braces and I still don't have a surgery date yet. I'd like to know what is the longest time people were in braces before surgery?

Cary
Got braces? http://www.igotbraces.com
The orthodontic and orthognathic surgery support forum for everyone.

chrisk

#2 Post by chrisk »

I had my surgery 25 1/2 months after getting my braces. I was initially told that I would have my braces on 9 months before surgery and 9 months after, but I had a partially erupted molar that took a long time for the ortho to pull into line.

He first had to move my last molar back (with a spring) then he put a button on the small amount of tooth that was showing and tied a wire from that to another tooth. Gradually the tooth was pulled up enough to put a bracket on it and then he pulled it into line.

I was given the go ahead in April of this year to have my surgery by June but my surgeon was booked out until August so I had my surgery on the 15th of August which was the closest possible date after June.

Hang in there. Once you get a date, things really seem to happen fast.

Svensk Tiger

#3 Post by Svensk Tiger »

I seem to have been quite quick in this regard. My teeth were ready after 11 months and I am getting my surgery next week at 14 months.

You will get there eventually and then the time till your surgery date will just fly by! Fingers crossed you get that date soon.

Katie
Metal upper and lower: 6th Sep. 2005
Quad helix in: 1st Dec. 2005
Quad Helix out: 31st March 2006
Surgery (upper/lower/genio): 11th Nov. 2006
Braces off: 17th March 2007
Under chin liposculpture and fat transplant to cheeks: 20th October 2007

Spooky

#4 Post by Spooky »

I was braced Sept 2005 and got a surgery date Sept 2006 for Dec 2006 due to hospital scheduling. So for me, it's fairly quick.
Check out my journey :

http://janniesjourney.blogspot.com/
----------------
Braces on: Sept 16. 2005
Braces off: Dec 3, 2007
Upper/Lower Jaw Surgery on: Dec 1, 2006

csblackburn

Length until surgery

#5 Post by csblackburn »

I'm sure the two upper bi-cuspid extractions had an effect on the length of time it takes to get my teeth right. Closing those gaps obviously took time away from straightening everything else out. Then, add to the fact that my OD is a perfectionist can't help. Although, that could be a good thing.

Cary
Got braces? http://www.igotbraces.com
The orthodontic and orthognathic surgery support forum for everyone.

Lark

12 Months...

#6 Post by Lark »

I'm scheduled for both upper and lower jaw surgery for Feb 12th, 2007. I've had my braces on since Feb 8th, 2006. So it'll be about a year.. Good luck with your ortho... mine was very hesitant to speed up the process for me (due to military training in march) I broke down in tears a few times in the office because of it... but... it seemed to work. Needless to say.. I'm very excited!

missy bigsmiles

#7 Post by missy bigsmiles »

I've been braced up, for 20 months now. Am due for bimax osteotomy for a class 3. There's been no significant change with my braces recently, I have been pregnant in the interim, and delivered in July 06. Am now waiting to see my surgoen for a date,...I had been hoping it may be in Dec, but still issue over whether this surgery will be covered by my husband's med insurance, if so the the op will be sooner, if on the National Health Service, may not be until end Jan 07, even Feb.

Missy :lol:

Raspberry

#8 Post by Raspberry »

I was at about 9 months when my Ortho asked me if I was going to go ahead with the surgery. He sent them a note to call me and book a consultation appointment, but no call as of yet.

I'm to have my surgery sometime around my 1 1/2 year mark which would be sometime in the summer of 2007.

gnashers87

#9 Post by gnashers87 »

Originally it was going to be ~ 18 months, however now it is looking more like it will be ~ 30 months for me.

As for the longest time, I know of a guy who has been braced for 8 years so far with surgery still not in sight!

jsenigaglia

#10 Post by jsenigaglia »

I kept putting the surgery off and off and off... Needless to say, I was braced in April 2002... Im scheduled to get them off April 2007...

5 years, lol...

dragonfang

Longest time

#11 Post by dragonfang »

I've been in braces now for almost 17 months. I'm hoping for surgery (lower jaw) in Feb/March 2007. I just want to get on with it!

Lucifina

#12 Post by Lucifina »

Dec 11th will be my 1 year in braces anniversary. I went to my ortho for my 10th adjustment yesterday and asked him about it and he said that he was thinking it will be about May or June of 2007 for my surgery. This is good because that means I have 6 more months that I don’t have to think about it! He said he wants everything perfect before the surgery so that the braces can come of ASAP after the surgery. They will need to be on there for a while after the surgery but not too long if we wait for everything to be just right.
~Luci~ Image
It will all be worth it in the end!
UpdatedSiteImage