3 weeks post-op! :)

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jsenigaglia

3 weeks post-op! :)

#1 Post by jsenigaglia »

Hey Everyone!

Its been a while since I posted any kind of updates. Today starts week #4 of post op (Lefort I, and a BSSO), and let me tell you, I feel like a different person :) I am completley off pain meds (have been for about a week) got my splint out last week, and finally am begining to feel normal again. I came back to work today, so that added to the sense of normalcy as well.

My only deal is the swelling. Obviously it is 10000 times better than what it was, but as my surgeon said at my 2 week visit, Im still very "cheeky" haha. She recomended heat, saying ice really wont do much anymore. Any tricks to getting the rest of this swelling down? Or do I just deal, and it goes away when it goes away?

Other than that, all is well... Im already halfway through my "no chew" phase, so thats good... Ive lost about 20 lbs, so I feel great. It was needed :) Thanksgiving wasnt so bad either, I had mashed potatoes, and topped it off with a mixture of turkey and gravy in a blender :) Its funny, I always set my new years resolution to lose weight, and now I dont have to :)

Anyway, talk to you all soon!

Joe

missy bigsmiles

#2 Post by missy bigsmiles »

Hi Joe,

Excellent, well done and many congratulations...

I'm fairly new to the board and I'm having what sounds like the same in a few weeks also...it's sooo great to hear people going through this and coming out the other side well......it's given me so much confidence already...and it's good to know these things, like when you can begin different fluids, purees, medications, that sort of stuff and when you become fit enough to get back to work...

Very well done again and best wishes the rest of the recovery, especially the swelling

Missy

:jump: :-)o

Ducky1515

#3 Post by Ducky1515 »

Glad to hear you are feeling better and things are back to normal.

How did you feel going back to work?

Question for you, how often are you putting heat on your face and what are you using to do so?

jsenigaglia

#4 Post by jsenigaglia »

Hi Ducky,

If I do use heat (which I dont do very often) I just use a heating pad on the parts of my face that are swollen... Its weird though, cause a lot of my face is still numb, so I cant feel it, and I worry Im gonna burn myself, lol... But yeah, I just use it if Im sitting watching TV or somthin.. Usually for about 20 mins at a time. Same like with the ice, I guess.

Hope that helps :)

katmpet

#5 Post by katmpet »

I have a sisterinlaw who is a Physical Therapist and she said it is important to have moist heat at this point. Try wrapping the gel packs in a warm-as-u-can-stand-it cloth-good luck
Last edited by katmpet on Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

katmpet

4 solid weeks-oops

#6 Post by katmpet »

Sorry I should have started a new thread with my post-my apologies