3 days post op...

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Ducky1515

3 days post op...

#1 Post by Ducky1515 »

Hey everyone,
Well my surgery was Thursday morning (Dec 7) and I was released from the hospital Friday morning. I'm staying with my parents for the first week because I live a lone otherwise.

So far things are ok. I'm actually in more pain than I thought I would be in but I'm living with it. I do have a few questions about some symptoms that I'm having, any information would be greatly apprecaited.

1) My ears are killing me. It feels like I've got a major ear infection in both ears. Everytime I open my mouth they pop. Is this normal??

2) My neck (front and back) are very swollen, could this be due to the manipulation during surgery?

3) I see my surgeon on Friday where he is suppose to clean out my mouth, nose etc. However, I can tell already that my mouth stink. Does anyone have any ideas on how to clean it out?

4) Food recipes? I've already become quite bored with what I had planned out and I know I'm not getting enough nutrients as I am feeling quite week.

Phew..well that's my list of complaints..haha.

4beauty4symmetry

#2 Post by 4beauty4symmetry »

This yahoo orthognathic surgery support forum has some good files on recipes. You might have to register to access the below link, but it only takes a moment and is painless:

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/or ... ort/files/

Jenn

kballing

#3 Post by kballing »

so sorry to hear that you are experiencing more pain than you expected. i am only 5 days out, so i can't help much in terms of what is normal. i did read somewhere that many people feel as though they have symptoms of an ear infection for several days though. i don't know about ears popping, i am not sure why that would occur, except i guess because of the pressure. the only pressure i feel is in one of my joints on the right hand side from the bands pulling my mouth still.
did they give you some of that special mouthwash for your mouth? that should take care of the bacteria and prevent infection. they cleaned my mouth before i left and instructed me how to brush gently before i could be discharged. i also have to use warm salt rinses after eating anything which might help you as well.
in regard to recipes, i am a strange eater as i don't eat any sugar and most of the things that i really enjoy, people are like, disgusting. i have been having a yogurt, natural peanut butter, banana, smoothie with protein powder blended for breakfast that is awesome. pureed sweet potatoes and SPAM SPAM SPAM applesauce for a snack, creamy chicken soup for lunch, etc. i know there are a lot of recipes out there though, i think there is a site called eightweekswired.com that has a lot that might be helpful for you.
i am sending you positive wishes for a speedy recovery. may your swelling and pain decrease with each passing moment. :wink:
keep us updated on your progress and i will do the same since we are quite close in surgery dates.

Svensk Tiger

#4 Post by Svensk Tiger »

I suffered excruciating pain the first week to 10 days after my surgery. I still suffer the occasional sharp pains in my ears four weeks on. I believe this is normal with an upper jaw surgery.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, the worst will be over soon :)

Katie
Metal upper and lower: 6th Sep. 2005
Quad helix in: 1st Dec. 2005
Quad Helix out: 31st March 2006
Surgery (upper/lower/genio): 11th Nov. 2006
Braces off: 17th March 2007
Under chin liposculpture and fat transplant to cheeks: 20th October 2007

Spooky

#5 Post by Spooky »

Ducky,
Sorry to hear that you're in pain. I'm 9 days post-op and for the first 9 days, I had very little pain. Discomfort, but not pain. In my pre-surgery class, the nurse recommended the following 4 steps to help with the swelling and recovery, which I found very helpful:

1. Get ahead of the Pain (which means take the pain meds when you feel a little pain -- don't wait until you feel excrutiating pain, it's too late!)
2. Ice
3. Walk
4. Talk

The ear pain may be associated with your sinuses, which may be clogged. Have you tried using nasal decongestants? In addition to the medicated nasal sprays, I also use Ocean Spray, which is non-medicated and can be used as often as you like.

As for oral hygiene, I use the Crest non-alcoholic mouth wash everytime I finish eating. I also brush my teeth with a children toothbrush using the mouth wash (instead of toothpaste).

Hope that answers all your questions -- best wishes for a speedy recovery!
Check out my journey :

http://janniesjourney.blogspot.com/
----------------
Braces on: Sept 16. 2005
Braces off: Dec 3, 2007
Upper/Lower Jaw Surgery on: Dec 1, 2006

Ducky1515

#6 Post by Ducky1515 »

Thank you to everyone who responded. YOu all had great advice and I'm feeling a bit better knowing that everyone else has been through this or is currently going through this.

I do find it odd that my surgeon didnt give me any mouth wash but I started using warm water and salt and that is helping so far.

I think I may have set my standards a little too high with this though as I thought I would be able to go out for a friends birthday on Dec 23, not sure that will happen now.

How does the bruising work? My neck and cheeks are a mustard yellow color as of this morning, does it get darker from this point and generally how long does it take for bruising to clear up?

Thanks again for your well wishes and a speedy recovery to all of you!