Has anyone has their metal plates removed?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Spooky

Has anyone has their metal plates removed?

#1 Post by Spooky »

Just came back from my 1st post-op appointment with my oral surgeon today. I am still swollen around my cheek and upper lip area.

Today I noticed a bump on the left side of my face (sinus area). The lump feels solid, as compared to other parts of my face that are soft. My surgeon confirmed that it is one of the metal plates that I'm feeling. I asked him if the plate will stick out once my swelling is gone. (right now, you can't tell). My OS doesn't know. He said, that I should just let everything heal, and in 6 months, if it's still bothering me, I can have it removed.

Has anyone has their plates removed before?? What does this procedure entail? Does it hurt? How long is it?

I really hope I don't need to. I have a skinny face with little flesh, so if the plate sticks out, I will need to have it removed!

[/img]
Check out my journey :

http://janniesjourney.blogspot.com/
----------------
Braces on: Sept 16. 2005
Braces off: Dec 3, 2007
Upper/Lower Jaw Surgery on: Dec 1, 2006

smile2006

#2 Post by smile2006 »

I have one screw head that I can feel which is slightly to the left of my upper nose (sort of under the eye). I was told it could be removed but that requires them going in there again which to me isn't worth it. Mine is very small and not visible through the skin at all (and the swelling in that area is long gone). I doesn't bother me but caught me off gaurd the first time I felt it. I seriously thought something had been dislodged but the surgeon showed my on my x-ray what I was feeling.

Svensk Tiger

#3 Post by Svensk Tiger »

[quote"]I have one screw head that I can feel which is slightly to the left of my upper nose (sort of under the eye).[quote]

That's really interesting to read. I also have a lump under my left eye just to the side of my nose. It doesn't hurt and you can't see it but I've been wondering what it is. I wanted to ask my surgeon last week but they were running an hour late and very rushed (NHS for you!) and amongst the fluster I completely forgot.

I'm going to ask my ortho on Friday but I wonder if it could be a screw? I remember feeling it right after surgery as I put my glasses on and I know it wasn't there before. I'm not sure if it's maybe a bit too high up though? It's right next to my nose but right on my eye socket. Saying that I was surprised when looking at my X-rays just how high up the screws and plates are, so maybe it is?
Metal upper and lower: 6th Sep. 2005
Quad helix in: 1st Dec. 2005
Quad Helix out: 31st March 2006
Surgery (upper/lower/genio): 11th Nov. 2006
Braces off: 17th March 2007
Under chin liposculpture and fat transplant to cheeks: 20th October 2007

dragonfang

plates removed

#4 Post by dragonfang »

A friend of mine had her plates removed from her upper jaw as they were causing her some discomfort. It was done as a day case, spending the afternoon in hospital and although she was very sore for a week or so afterwards it was not too painful.

Spooky

#5 Post by Spooky »

My OS said the procedure will require sedation, but can be done in the office, and is quick and simple. He didn't mention anything about being in the hospital, etc. I really hope I don't need to take it out. If it doesn't bother me, I'd rather not. But I guess I will have to wait until all the swelling is done to tell.
Check out my journey :

----------------

nvcarissa

#6 Post by nvcarissa »

When I went in for my three month post op appointment, my OS felt along the inside of my lower gums where the screws were to check and see if they were pushing through. They were not, but if they were, he said he would have removed them. So I guess once the bone is healed, there really isn't any need for the plates and screws...it's just a bother to remove them unless it's necessary.

Braced 5/11/05, BSSO with advancement 6/21/06, Debanded: 8/1/07. Click on www for my braces story.

katevv

#7 Post by katevv »

I having mine removed this month because they feel they are creating bulk around my nasal base.After having upper/lower having a few plates removed should be a walk in the park.

Spooky

#8 Post by Spooky »

katevv wrote:I having mine removed this month because they feel they are creating bulk around my nasal base.After having upper/lower having a few plates removed should be a walk in the park.
Katevv, a few questions for you:

1. were you under? or awake during the procedure?
2. were there scarring afterwards?
3. did it hurt??
4. How long was the procedure?

Thanks!
Check out my journey :

----------------

katevv

#9 Post by katevv »

spook,
I am having it done this month,so I have no idea but it is day surgery and definately not local asth. From what i've heard it does hurt for a week,I am not sure about scarring or nerve damage.

tofino

Bump

#10 Post by tofino »

Hi.

I rarely bump posts but here I do, for reasons I won't bore you with right now. Google returns hundreds of hits, but only in reference to plate removal surgery, not to information about the surgery itself.

Given the statistics on plate removal, I'm surprised that nobody has responded to this thread yet, so I'll send it up to the top and see what happens!

Thanks

Glen