Unwired - what to look out for?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Spooky

Unwired - what to look out for?

#1 Post by Spooky »

I have been wired shut for 2 weeks now, and have 1 more week to go! On Dec 22, I will get my wired cut!! 3 days before Christmas... I am so excited. Although I am super anxious to get these wires out, I am worried how my jaw would "react" without the wires' reinforcement... Can someone tell me ...

1. How does the teeth feel after they are unwired? Will they be sore?
2. Will biting (soft foods) be a problem?
3. Will I have any problems talking?
4. Anything I should look out for?

Thanks!!
Check out my journey :

http://janniesjourney.blogspot.com/
----------------
Braces on: Sept 16. 2005
Braces off: Dec 3, 2007
Upper/Lower Jaw Surgery on: Dec 1, 2006

thefuture

#2 Post by thefuture »

To me, the teeth felt fairly normal after the wires came off. My molars felt a little rounded off because of the accumulation of ensure that I was not able to get off until I could brush again. I'm still not eating any foods and I'm about 4 and a half weeks post op. I stuffed some crab cake betwen the tiny hole between my elastics and swallowed it without chewing. My talking is normal for the most part. I think it sounds like I'm slurring some words occasionally but it's not too bad. Personally the only thing I can think that you should look out for is brushing. For one thing, it was hard for me to open my mouth wide enough to get in there good and it made me feel more comfortable to hold my lower jaw because I didn't want any incidental movement to occur without my elastics. This wasn't suggested by my doctor or anything it just made me feel better.

Spooky

#3 Post by Spooky »

I got unwired yesterday! Mann, what a weird feeling!! I was wired for 3 weeks, supposedly longer than most people. So it's a change! I had a 9mm lower overbite and was never been able to have my front teeth touch each other. So,it was really odd to have them touched for the first time on their own!

My jaws are very sore though. I tried to brush the insides of my teeth and can barely get a child's toothbrush in there without causing too much pain. The incision areas hurt if I open my mouth for too long.

My teeth are also very weak so I won't be chewing anything for the next 2 weeks. My OS recommended going on a no-chew diet for now. It's a bit better than being on liquid diet, because at least now I can eat foods with a little more substance. No luck for any Christmas feast though!
Check out my journey :

http://janniesjourney.blogspot.com/
----------------
Braces on: Sept 16. 2005
Braces off: Dec 3, 2007
Upper/Lower Jaw Surgery on: Dec 1, 2006