Le Fort 1 with some "extras" on Dec 27

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Greenidgurl

#16 Post by Greenidgurl »

Sorry about all the multiple posts! I was having serious issues with the site last night!

Greenidgurl

#17 Post by Greenidgurl »

I forgot to mention to whomever might be interested - I posted some new pictures... just click on my link! The newest ones should be first, and most of them have the date. I even have a horrible hospital picture on there - it looks like I'd just been run over!

smile2006

#18 Post by smile2006 »

Hey- Wow, your pictures are great. You must be thrilled with the "no more underbite" look. I remember I couldn't beleive it after my surgery when I looked in the mirror for the first time and my teeth actually came together in my bite (I had an open bite). Amazing what they can do. Be patient with the swelling, it's normal and it will go away. How are you relative to numbness?

Greenidgurl

#19 Post by Greenidgurl »

Hey there smile2006-

Thanks! Yeah it's definitely strange to see my mouth look so different! I was so used to having that barraccuda/bulldog look, but thank God it's gone! Yay!!! :-*

I do have some partial numbness but got the feeling back in the roof of my mouth yesterday. Right now the most painful part is the cheeks, where they sutured me for the SOOF lift. That is what is making me so "cheeky". I do have numbness from that on either side of my nose and under my eyes. Also I'm not sure what's going on but it feels like my left eye has some sluggish motor skills and it keeps watering. I sure hope this goes away! I'd hate to think they broke something in there. My upper lip is still swollen quite a bit which makes my face look broken! I still went out to dinner last night with some friends and had some mashed potatoes and mac & cheese to ring in the New Year. Today has been most productive, I finally came home from staying at the boyfriend's house since I got out of the hospital and took down the Xmas tree. Now I think I'll rest... :wink:

Delag

#20 Post by Delag »

I can't believe how well you are doing! Going out for New Years and taking down the Christmas tree at what (?) 5 days post op! Your pictures are great - I really am looking foward to seeing your healing process and how you look when the swelling comes down. Also glad to hear how quickly you are regaining feeling. I wouldn't worry too much about your eye, with everything being so swollen it is probably just something being a bit squished or squashed.

Greenidgurl

#21 Post by Greenidgurl »

Thanks again, Delag and Meryaten! You guys are always there to give a kind word and awesome support - I really appreciate it!

Today it feels like I have dull chisels in my temples that are trying to pry the top of my head off. I had a followup with the OS this morning, he said things were coming along nicely but seemed surprised that my cheeks were still so puffy. He told me to start puckering and smiling about 10 times in a row a couple times a day to get the muscles going again. He also put rubber bands on me to keep me closed and lining up. They are ok, but after I ate today getting them on again was a complain and it made my cheeks hurt really bad. Thank goodness he gave me something else for pain (Darvon). I invested in a heating pad also, the OS said that I should hold it on the sides of my head, not on the cheeks themselves. He said on the side of the head will dilate the vessels and stuff to allow fluid to flow out of there more quickly. He also said my pain is from the soof lift, that he had to dissect muscle up further and that is what is causing all the pain. I sure hope it was worth it...
I'm starting to wear down emotionally and pretty sure that a boo-hoo session is about to happen upon me at any time. After that I'll be ok again, as usual, but right now I've pretty much had it.

smile2006

#22 Post by smile2006 »

:D I know you tried to explain this before (but for the slow), what exactly did you have done to your cheeks and how did they do it? Are you able to tell a difference (you might be too swollen yet to know). Just curious as I haven't read anyone's story relative to this type of procedure.

That's great you can feel the roof of your mouth already. My feeling there took months to return but I think that was from the widening. Were you numb in the roof of your mouth longer with you SARPE?

Good luck with the rubber bands, those are tough to deal with!

Delag

#23 Post by Delag »

Sorry to hear you are in pain. My OS also advised cold the first 24 hours and then heat. They sell these really cool gel packs down here (thermo gel) that have a metal button you push to activate the heat which lasts about an hour. They are smaller than the heating pads and might be more comfortable. As to feeling down, don't forget that this is really common around this time and it will pass. Feel free to cry on our shoulders anytime!

Greenidgurl

#24 Post by Greenidgurl »

Smile,

I'm not super sure but I think what they do is make an incision at the top of each cheekbone, stick a huge needle down there, about the size of a small straw, and hook near the corner of my mouth and then somehow suspend it with a suture, lifting and suspending that fat pad in there. In my pictures you can see the little incision points that they just glued shut with dermabond (which is basically superglue). I had to google it (SOOF lift) and then also googled mid-face lift. I couldn't really find any pictures of the procedure. I meant to ask the OS this morning but forgot. Next time I go in I'll ask him how it's all done!

katemm06

#25 Post by katemm06 »

Greenidgurl,

Congratulations on making it through surgery :D I checked out your pictures and believe it or not you look absolutely beautiful post op! Your chin is amazing and your eyes really stand out. My own chin is shaped a lot like your previous one. I can't wait to see how mine turns out!!

I'm having lower jaw surgery for an underbite in 3 days and seeing pictures like yours gives me a lot of encouragement that I am doing the right thing. I also had the SARPE surgery. Thank you for posting your pics.

I wish you all of the best in your continued recovery.

Braced: 2005
SARPE: August 2005
Expander Removal: March 2006
Lower Jaw Surgery: January 9, 2007

http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=15198

http://community.webshots.com/user/katemm06

Greenidgurl

#26 Post by Greenidgurl »

Thank you so much Katemm! You are sooo sweet! :D

This week I have been going through a bit of a post-op depression. I am just tired of being in pain and swollen and would just like to get back to how things were before. So your kind wonderful words couldn't have come at a better time! Thanks again!

Hope all goes well with your surgery too! I didn't have anything done to my lower jaw. Right now I'm wearing rubber bands to keep the bite aligning up when I'm not eating. They were a pain to get in the first few times, kinda like contacts.

katemm06

#27 Post by katemm06 »

I'm sorry you are feeling down right now. I remember from my own SARPE experience that I experienced a range of emotions. Like you I'm sure I will experience those same feelings after my surgery this week. It's hard with oral surgery because it seems to take a while before we feel like our normal selves again.

I'm sure right now you probaly don't feel fully confident in yourself. But I can tell you as an outsider that your results are absolutely incredible!!! And what's great about this type of surgery is that your results will only continue to improve!! :banana:

So hang in there and vent anytime. I'm sure I will be doing the same very soon.

Braced: 2005
SARPE: August 2005
Expander Removal: March 2006
Lower Jaw Surgery: January 9, 2007

http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=15198

http://community.webshots.com/user/katemm06

JenNicole

#28 Post by JenNicole »

Greeneyed Girl,
Hi there! Congrats on your recovery...you look very good. I had a quick question for you. I am going in for Surgery on 9 Feb w/ Dr. S. My Mom is planning on coming down to help me recover. Do you have a recommendatoin on how long I will need assistance? I am having upper and lower...but I'm sure the days of 24 hour assistance are about the same. Any suggestions would be great!