Duration of double jaw surgery

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jadeli

Duration of double jaw surgery

#1 Post by jadeli »

For those of you who have survived being victims of double jaw surgery, how long did the actual surgery take? :)

chrisk

#2 Post by chrisk »

My upper and lower jaw surgery plus genioplasty and levelling of a cant in my upper jaw lasted about 3 1/4 hours. My surgeon told me 3-4 hours, and the admitting nurse at the hospital said 3-5 hours. The surgeon also said that once you go over 5 hours in surgery, you tend to be a 'little beat up'.

Spooky

#3 Post by Spooky »

1 hour and 51 minutes to be exact.
Check out my journey :

http://janniesjourney.blogspot.com/
----------------
Braces on: Sept 16. 2005
Braces off: Dec 3, 2007
Upper/Lower Jaw Surgery on: Dec 1, 2006

katmpet

#4 Post by katmpet »

Fascinating-I had upper and lower, "shaving" of some side bone wing and muscle, small genioplasty, small rhinoplasty as a result of the above and I was exactly 7 hours in surgery. I had some bone grafting done for the upper jaw. I wonder what accounts for the vast differences in surgery times? My OS actually teaches the procedure so I gather he is pretty "up" on things.

smile2006

#5 Post by smile2006 »

I had upper (with widening and decreasing the vertical dimension), lower jaw advancement and genioplasty. My surgery time was about 4 1/2 hours with an assistant surgeon working as well. They said it would be about six so it was shorter than expected. Wow, the differences in surgery time here are amazing.

I was in recovery for about 2 1/2 hours.....took me awhile to come to!

Spooky

#6 Post by Spooky »

Meryaten wrote:Hey Spooky - you got a good doc! Mind you that's around the timeframe I heard for my OS to do a typical double jaw surgery too :) But how did you know exactly how long?
Meryaten, these are the times that my OS told my husband when he talked to him (while I was out!). For this type of procedure, the OS always work in teams of 2, so he had another OS there with him when he did the surgery (and vice versa, etc). That may have cut down the time!
Check out my journey :

http://janniesjourney.blogspot.com/
----------------
Braces on: Sept 16. 2005
Braces off: Dec 3, 2007
Upper/Lower Jaw Surgery on: Dec 1, 2006