Anyone having surgery without insurance coverage?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Julie08

Irony of insurance not paying

#31 Post by Julie08 »

I was talking to a friend about the fact that I will have to pay for my jaw surgery myself because my insurance will not cover it ( I guess keeping your teeth is considered "cosmetic.") She pointed out how ironic it is that I cannot get insurance to pay for something I am proactively and responsibly trying to take care of (saving my teeth) but I could get rip roaring drunk and get into a bar fight and get my jaw broken - and insurance would cover the surgery costs in full!

Yes, that's ironic! (don't worry - I have no intention of going this route!)

Julie08

Irony of insurance not paying

#32 Post by Julie08 »

sorry - accidental double-post

karebear46168

#33 Post by karebear46168 »

HeatherLynn,
what ever happened with this? I too have a 9mm over jet, with a lot of crowding on top. the ortho suggested I see an OS, but their fee for consult is 285.00 plus x-rays are extra for lower jaw surgery, I have Sagamore health insurance and the benefits book says it does not cover the surgery unless it's an accidental injury (?????? go figure). So I am very curious as to how this turned out.

Phil,
how old are you? (if you don't mind) I too have Delta Dental and was told that they did not cover any orhto for adults.

thanks!

I also have been told I need 6 teeth taken out (only two are wisdom)

thefuture

#34 Post by thefuture »

My insurance covered about 98% of the total cost BUT the total cost was $232,000.00. That is not a typo. my parents nearly fell over when the bill came and thought that it couldn't possibly be right. It's not SO bad because the insurance did cover it but I only have a million dollar lifetime benefit which I just used over one fifth of 6 weeks ago. Now most likely I'll never have anything a tenth this expensive while I'm still under my parents insurance because I'll be out of college in a few years but we are trying to sort things out right now. Anyway I just thought I'd share that.

HeatherLynn

#35 Post by HeatherLynn »

Hi karebear46168! Sorry I took so long to reply...we were out of town for a few days. I have been meaning to give an update.

It turns out that I was able to drop my husband's insurance and get my own (I have a small business out of my home and was able to get it under that). I will now carry BCBS. Tomorrow I will call in with the codes for the surgery to confirm they will cover it. The insurance broker I dealt with was 99% sure they would cover it. So now I have to find an ortho. and get moving! I cannot have any more teeth pulled because my old ortho already pulled out too many!

I had Health Assurance and this is one of the few insurances that it is written in stone that orthognathic surgery is not covered. I also was told unless you happen to fall off a bridge onto your face and break your jaw! That is nuts. But I would check into your insurance better. Sometimes the surgeon can write a note. I would ask the billing person at their office to guide you on that.

My dentist referred me to an OS and they just gave me options and prices. I did not have to pay anything or get X-Rays because they knew my insurance probably would not cover it. I was lucky in that way. Most of the other places would have charged for that.

GOOD LUCK!

karebear46168

#36 Post by karebear46168 »

thanks for the update, I'm so sorry that your old ortho pulled too many teeth, that would make me mad :evil: but what can you do now????

keep us updated! I'm still in the very beginnings of finding out all the ins and outs of the insurance coverage, I'm trying to get second opinions from my regular dentist, my periodontist, and my TMJ dentist, I want to make sure they all agree with the ortho's treatment plan! I don't want to rush into anything and then regret it later..........

good luck on your journey!

HeatherLynn

#37 Post by HeatherLynn »

Thanks! I'm excited. Glad that I can finally have it done.

Hi Meryaten! I have followed your journey for quite some time while researching the surgery!!

I am going to the Oral Surgeon tomorrow to have x-rays. Then I see yet another orthodontist on Thursday. My dentist has been a huge help and said she will be the mediator between all of the Dr.'s. I can't wait to see when the braces will go on once I have the initial appointment. I'm dreading the braces though! I just still cannot believe this is actually going to happen. I'll let you know what everyone says!

Take Care!
Heather

HeatherLynn

#38 Post by HeatherLynn »

I was very lucky to find my dentist! She got me going on the surgery and has been so supportive. I went to the oral surgeon today and mentioned the orthodontist that my dentist referred me to. He said I should be very happy with this ortho. My dentist is so great...she even gave me her home and cell number. Hard to believe!

The OS did not take any x-rays. I was kind of thinking he would. I guess the ortho will do that. (that appointment is Thursday). He said that the braces usually last around 8 or 9 months and then 3 or 4 more after. I was shocked. Thought it would be longer. I'll be curious to see what the ortho says!